8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How is the quality of Saturday Night Fever.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How is the quality of Saturday Night Fever.
Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2009 12:46 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone

Anyone own or have seen Saturday Night Fever on super 8.I have a chance to pick up the feature ( used Derann print ) but was curious if this was up to par with the better transfers or if my money better spent on something else. Im not really keen on the softer transfers.

Thanks guys.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 11, 2009 01:16 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Derann release "Saturday Night"? what I knew is only "Grease". Maybe it is a full feature from Marketing Films. And if it is so then the color must have turned brownish (Kodak SP).

regards,

--------------------
Winbert

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2009 01:21 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odd this question is asked just a few days after I personally screened my own print.

Winbert is correct.

The disco dancing scenes are quite good although red seems kind of strong - not that it is turning red - just that red seems to over power other colors.

And yes there is browning especially on outdoor scenes. I noticed this the most in the scene where the brother who has returned home from the priesthood, is now leaving home to live on his own. This scene is very brownish almost sepia tone. Although it should not be like this in someways it kind of adds to it even though fade is the problem.

And yes. This is a Marketing print. Sadly, the Marketing Logo was the only part of the entire film with the best true original color. Wish there was an answer for that!

-cg-

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2009 06:22 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chip and Winbert. The seller did not list the origin of the print so I assumed it was Derann. That will teach me to assume:)

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2009 06:48 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,

We have a full length print of "Fever" and the colors throughout have held up very well with little degradation. Marketing Films prints are hot and cold and its a crap shoot. We have some great Marketing prints like this one, but the full length print of "War of the Worlds" is red while the 3x400 ft version of "War" is gorgeous in color.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2009 06:57 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 3x400 of SNF is not terrible, though it has faded quite a bit... still watchable. I've heard it's hit and miss on the full feature.

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2009 09:16 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine also has soft focus

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2009 08:05 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought Saturday Night Fever (full feature) when Marketing Films first released it on super 8 around 1979. It was a fantastic print, and at the time, was the best quality print I had ever seen (in 1979).

I sold it in the late 80's, and the color was still good at that time. So the only thing I would worry about is possible fading.

James.

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2009 09:54 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. There are other titles on the list that may be less of a gamble that I may choose over SNF. He does not have a S8 projector to pre screen so I am a little nervous to roll the dice blind on this one. Thanks again for chiming in.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC