8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My lucky find of an Elmo GS !!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My lucky find of an Elmo GS !!
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 13, 2009 12:48 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I always like to share my story behind my limited budget in keeping this hobby alive.

As a government official from a developing country (Indonesia) who currently lives in a high living cost country such as Canada, of course, I have to carefully spend my salary for not-really-important needs like 8mm films and gears. This is the reason I like cheap stuff.

Upon my assignment to Canada, I was thinking that I would get many 8mm stuff here so I didn't bring any projector with me. But in fact, it is a hardest place to find our stuff. Ebay is one of the way in getting a projector (from the USA) but postage is sometime prohibitive for heavy item like this. So I was so often read local ad or visiting good will stores.

One day, on the internet, I visited Kijiji (a sort of Craiglist) and found a piece of ad saying "8mm AND 16mm MOVIE PROJECTORS". Nothing in my mind this would be an extravaganza projector other than any working projector that I could use during my term in Canada. The owner was in Ottawa (a capital city) where I had a friend there who could collect it for me.

So I started emailing the seller by asking

quote:
what is the brand of 8mm projector you have?
and he replied:

quote:
Hi,

The projector is an Elmo GS800 Stereo. It projects both 8mm and Super 8. The projector is still in the original box with instructions and all packaging material……. Nothing missing and in perfect condition.

When I read this email, I was so surprised (and wondered) that he had a GS but putting an add just as an "8mm" projector that could bring people’s mind it was a Standard/Regular 8mm which was commonly less-interesting.

Of course I was so happy in one side, but on the other side, he had not given a price clue, which if it was expensive, I wouldn't buy due to my budget.

So I asked him again

quote:
Hi again,

How much are you looking for this projector?

And his reply:

quote:
I know I’d like to get back half of my investment but not sure if I will. I am really opened to reasonable offers and negotiate a price suitable to both of us. I have other projectors and necessary equipment to transfer film to DVD.
It was still unclear to me what he was looking for, so I sent him another email:

quote:
I have found some projectors on Ebay but the problem is always high shipping cost.

Indeed my budget is limited but please say your price, and I will consider if it is suit to my budget.

regards,

Finally he said:

quote:
I will tell you that I purchased it new a while back, used it sparingly to transfer film to DVD and at that time paid $149.99 I would accept $75.00 cash for it and if you are in the Ottawa area I would meet you somewhere convenient to both of us to deliver it in person.
So... basically he knew the worth of the projector but no one here will complain his asking price, am I right??? :-) [Wink]

So without need any further email I just closed the deal and asked my friend in Ottawa to collect it and pay it.

Last week I visited him and found what he was telling me was quite right:

Here is the mint box he mentioned:

-

I carefully opened the box:

-

And I found everything was there:

-

And the body of projector is just new:

-

And a 800" reel is also included:

-

And that is my story that I'd like to share to members here...

And can I have now a warm welcome from GS gang here (...although it is still not the big machine GS1200). My next find must be a GS 1200 [Big Grin]

Ps: lesson learn, “don’t give up “

cheers,

[ April 07, 2013, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2009 12:52 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Winbert. It looks as though Christmas has come a little early for you this year.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2009 12:55 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Winbert!!!

You got a real bargain for that price mate!!!

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2009 02:22 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Deal! A projector repairman I knew years ago told me that the GS800 machanically was a better machine than the GS1200.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2009 02:41 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evvai!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 13, 2009 05:22 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hohoho! [Big Grin]
Winbert has a new projector, falala-lala-lala-la-la
Great find my friend.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 13, 2009 06:56 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the GS-800. It is such a fine machine. Enjoy!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 14, 2009 11:34 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys thanks for your comment.

I am happy indeed, and now my previous Chinon 330 will be only for kid's movies (those scratch films).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2009 01:21 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert well done!!! What a great deal....

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2009 02:39 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent find!

I had always assumed that the GS800 had a 250 watt lamp like the 1200, but there is one up on eBay now that says it is only 100 watts. Even the St1200 has a 150. What was Elmo thinking? A serious machine like that should have brighter light output. If not 250 than at least 150.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2009 04:55 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, it's advisable to not use a 250w in the GS1200. You'll overwork the transformer.... these transformers aren't made anymore.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 14, 2009 06:55 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,

Yes that is right that GS800 is using 100 watt bulb type.

quote:
What was Elmo thinking?
I think Elmo was thinking that GS800 more for domestic purposes use while GS1200 was more for "industry" machine.

And I feel that 100 watt for a living room screen size is more than enough. It is equal with 800 - 1000 lumens LCD projector nowadays.

regards,

--------------------
Winbert

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2009 09:23 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right you are,Winbert.Great machine!Undoubtably Elmo's best.

--------------------

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2009 02:42 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, what a great find, I just love hearing about deals like this. Well done.

It looks mint, nothing like all the accessories in the box.

You will find the Elmo is a very nice machine; I also found my near new Chinon 9500 scratched film! I could not wait to get rid of it, at a low price.

David

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2009 06:13 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW, what a great price for a GS800, you lucky man [Smile] Have you tried it yet, does it work perfectly.

John, Im just interested to know your thoughts on the GS800 and why it was 'undoubtably elmo's best' as you say. If you look back on this forum there is a lot of debate about the GS800 and Eumig 938/940 and which is best. The Eumig certaintly has an advantage of the 150W bulb, but stick an Elmo 1.0 lens in the GS800 and it will feel like a 150W.

Graham S

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2009 11:43 AM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tony, it's advisable to not use a 250w in the GS1200. You'll overwork the transformer.... these transformers aren't made anymore.

Since I don't have as GS1200, there is no chance I could. I'm a little confused, though -- wasn't it designed for 250?

quote:
And I feel that 100 watt for a living room screen size is more than enough. It is equal with 800 - 1000 lumens LCD projector nowadays.
I'm so used to 150 with my ST1200 (with 1.1 lens) that anything less at this point for me would be a downgrade.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2009 10:32 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, the GS 1200 takes a 200w lamp. Some have put a 250w in, but the marginal light increase and strain on the power supply are generally regarded as not worth the effort.

I would love a 1.1 for my ST1200 or 940.

David

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2009 11:53 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I meant it was the best Elmo.I had a GS1200 and wasn't real fond of it.Very cranky on film.Framer far too slow.The Gs 800s ran like champs without all the overkill of the 1200s.

--------------------

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2009 04:20 AM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

With all due respect, once you acquired this gorgeous machine, why did you set it down in a wet, dirty driveway?

Please promise me you gave the projector and that takeup reel a thorough cleaning before putting any film through it! :-)

With all sincerity,

David

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2009 04:25 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, did not ask you before.
Is it your fist Elmo?
Ciao.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 16, 2009 04:44 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With all due respect, once you acquired this gorgeous machine, why did you set it down in a wet, dirty driveway?

David, that driveway was not actually wet, it was just always seen wet, I think that about how the owner finish the driveway (wet look).

And BTW, welcome to the forum.

quote:
Is it your fist Elmo?
Gian, this is my first GS (I have had previously some "ordinary" Elmos).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2009 05:48 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink] !

--------------------

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2009 11:43 AM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tony, the GS 1200 takes a 200w lamp. Some have put a 250w in, but the marginal light increase and strain on the power supply are generally regarded as not worth the effort.
What threw me off is that on eBay it is usually listed as 250 Watts:

GS1200

David M. Ballew
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2009 07:40 PM      Profile for David M. Ballew   Email David M. Ballew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And BTW, welcome to the forum.

Thanks so much for the welcome, Winbert. And congratulations on your wonderful find!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC