8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Couple of 8mm cameras

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Couple of 8mm cameras
Gregory John
Junior

- posted November 23, 2009 01:36 AM      Profile for Gregory John   Email Gregory John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've really been enjoying the posts here. Old technology is fascinating to me. It's amazing what people were able to accomplish before they had fancy computers to run it all!

My Grandfather took a lot of 8mm films of his family from the 1950s through about 1986 or so when he couldn't find the reg 8mm anymore. All of those films were transferred to VHS and eventually DVD ages ago and the films themselves are long gone. Very sad.

However, I have the actual camera he used to film them on. It's a Bell & Howell Two Twenty, seems like a really solid thing, heavy and still takes a wind. Original carrying case has a broken strap... any accessories that came with it (handle, lamp, etc) are long gone.

I'd love to hear what you all know about this camera. I really enjoy just holding it and thinking about all the times my Grampa held it and filmed my mom and her sisters, their trips, etc.

I also have another camera which is in mint condition and does not appear to have ever been used. It is a Revere Model 80 with what appears to be a fairly nice adjustable Wollensak lens. This was my Great aunt's, she used to buy things like this, put them away and forget about them. It was going in the garbage after she died in 1991 and I rescued it! It's in lovely shape, the chrome bits all shine and it winds and unwinds nicely.

I've actually considered looking for some regular 8 film for the Revere and playing around. Is standard 8mm film still available anywhere? Or am I just wasting my time?

Gregory

|  IP: Logged

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2009 02:08 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gregory.
Yes, both 8mm and super 8 is still available. For people in the US John Shwind http://zerelda.com/internationalfilm/internationalfilm.html is the place to get 8mm or regular 8 as it is sometimes reffered to. (Or normal 8)
You should also check out www.onsuper8.org wich has tons of information on filmstock, labs, tips and triks. There are also liks there to databases with info on projectors and cameras. (the super8wiki is one of them)

cheers!

Gregory John
Junior

- posted November 23, 2009 01:39 PM      Profile for Gregory John   Email Gregory John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, thanks Knut! I think I will pick some up and have some fun around the city.

Best wishes,
Gregory

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC