8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Weird Movies for the home Market

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weird Movies for the home Market
Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2009 04:04 AM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi it seems the mainstream of commercial 8 and 16 film production for collectors has run along certain lines i.e. Silent Films, cartoons, cutdowns and extracts of features and to some extent complete features, and of course adult which ranged from tepid to incendiary.
However there have been odd examples of more off the wall items. I can think of the "Minkillers" series of films which starred Diana Rigg and has only ever been available on 8mm, there was a company that put out a lot of Pop/Rock titles featuring the Stones Led Zeppelin and the like which were not available otherwise, Harrison Marks famed for his more risque output made a series of silent slapstick shorts and an amateur film making group in England that sold copies of their competition winning shorts including a spoof trailer called "coming shortly".
Can you think of any other weird or oddball films that have been made and released purely for the home market?

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

|  IP: Logged

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2009 04:44 AM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well.....If I remember, Mountain films had a selection of
docs featuring things like 'Barbaric rituals' and suchlike
from Africa. Very un PC and dodgy. Never saw one but I do
remember Esther Rantzen on 'Thats life' being outraged by them!

If you get an old Mountain catalogue circa 1979 you will get the idea.

Stuart

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2009 02:48 AM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Stuart I'll look out for those.
While not produced for the public there seems to have also been some "corporate" film production as I have a number of 8mm films showing industrial processes , how to deal with customers, how to drive and the like which don't seem to be aimed at the general public and I doubt many prints were struck.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2009 06:44 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.......speaking of 'Barbaric rituals',who released the 'Brutes & Savages' one? Was it Mountain?

--------------------
Yannis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC