8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » JURASSIC PARK RECORDING (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: JURASSIC PARK RECORDING
John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2009 04:02 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, this problem with stripe has existed since Kodak stopped producing pre-stripe stock. Even on Kodak pre-stripe there are occasional problems.

Derann stripe has varied over the years since as they've had to change the mix of the paste stripe many times. We've been lucky to get sound Super 8 film since Kodak pulled the plug and often the quality of the stripe offered has been very good. I suppose now though with so few new prints being struck the quality of the stripe is bound to be more variable - if a bulk order was going through like 20 years ago then the striping machine would be working all day, every day and therefore constantly refreshed with paste that would always be kept on the move.

The acetate stock from Germany has always had variable stripe and it's just pot luck how good a particular print is. But if you've noticed a sudden general deterioration in quality something must have changed which no doubt the bureaucrats at the EEC will be behind as they've been banning every chemical that could possibly cause harm if it's not used in the exact way instructed. I suspect the glue used to stick it to the film.

I often find a shoddy recording on a GS1200 will still re-record fine on a Chinon SS1200... and the SS1200 has a speed control that once set never seems to drift.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

|  IP: Logged

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2009 06:02 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Day John,

I completely agree with you on the stripe issue. I have had some good luck using the Sankyo Stereo 800 when prints do not record well on the GS. But I have found most prints record very well on the GS and have only experience problems on the German Prints and the newer Derann prints. I must tell you that of late the German prints have improved mag stripes and we recently did a reel of "Tomorrow Never Dies" that sounded sensational on both the Main and Balance Stripe. Adjusting the Bias Levels on the GS has also helped with certain prints. But case in point we once bought a new print of "The Fugitive" and ended up selling it at a loss as we were unable to get any form of acceptable sound out of either track. I would love to acquire the Chinon model as you said but I am concerned about maintenance and parts issues. The GS machine are easy to maintain and we have 3 of them. I have been contemplating attaching a plastic pot adjuster for the Sankyo we have so that speed can be adjusted during remix, but time is limited at presence. We love this hobby and do not take pleasure in acknowledging these issues, but it is the reality of it. Happy Holidays to you.

LA

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2009 04:27 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Chinon 7500 shares many components with the SS1200. One day I'll get my own SS1200 sorted out because it is an outstanding machine when functioning 100%.

I've always found possible issues with Derann stripe right from the first in-house stripings. Sometimes though it has been as good as, if not better, than Kokak stripe. German stripe has always been variable even during reels where you would imagine it was all one continuous application. However, we're darned lucky Super 8 has survived so long and I'm perservering with new releases despite all the problems as there is nothing more exciting than threading up a new print on one of these archaic, manual, mechanical projectors. We're all going to miss it when it's gone.

I got an excellent recording on my print of 'The Fugitive' but I've only run the sound from the film once since doing it as the DVD sync's perfectly.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC