8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » External sound (head) for silent projector??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: External sound (head) for silent projector??
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 21, 2009 04:06 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the thing we can use at silent projector so we can hear the original soundtrack from our sound films?

http://cgi.ebay.com/cinesone-8mm-16mm-film-projector-add-on-film-sound-unit_W0QQitemZ250551150682

the equipment is as follow:

-

The description says:

quote:
this unit will put sound on your own film you took it mounts on the top spindle of projector and film is ran through it so you can put sound on film has speaker on lid of case and the sound board is in other part has holes for mic, radio phono, monitor and ext amp cords has some flyers with it with instruction book has 1954 year on flyers has tubes in unit like radios have not tried it myself
Is it possible? knowing there is 18 frame in advance between sound and picture, and if we have that outside the projector it means there will be slightly un-sync (sound drifting).

Any comment?

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2009 05:20 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I have never seen anything like this, but if it is mounted on the top arm, as mentioned, that then would be for both record and playback, if I read this right.

If that is the case, and you record a track using this box and then play back through it, then the sound would be at the same scene each time you play it, beacuse the rec/playback heads are in the same place.

If you were to record on this device, and then play it on a regular sound projector, the sound would then be after the picture when it played.

Conversely, if you took a sound film recorded conventionally (with the ususal gap between pic and sound) and played it back on this unit, you would have sound before the picture, and definitely no sync.

So it seems you could use this for a silent projector to post-stripe some music and such, but you would have a track that couldn't play 'in sync' on a conventional sound projector.

(I think I imagined the picture/sound difference right [Big Grin] )

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2009 05:40 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that's exactly right Claus, the best you could hope to do to use this unit with normal films is to have some kind of delay unit.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 21, 2009 07:56 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
to have some kind of delay unit.
This is possible because on DJ (Band) gears now there is a kind of unit like this.

What do you think?

--------------------
Winbert

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2009 05:30 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This type of unit was much more common with 9.5mm projectors. The Path Gem had units manufactured for it that sat underneath.

A popular one was the Kleesound unit made here in Australia.

David

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC