8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo ST180 Takeup Problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST180 Takeup Problem
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2009 08:43 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the solution for a take-up reel that slows down, then stops, on the ST180. At about 550' on a 600' reel, this is the issue. A new long belt (inside the machine, along the top) has been fitted.

|  IP: Logged

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2009 09:00 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had bad takeup on a 600 caused by that belt being oily.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 23, 2009 09:06 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon,

Is this on rewind or projection?

I just changed the long belt in my ST-800 and have a rewind stall at the end of the reel. I think the new belt is just a tiny bit shorter and the added tension makes a little more friction, which adds just a little more film tension, which is just enough to pull the clutch on the front spindle over the edge when rewinding a long reel,

I'm going to go back to where I bought the other belt and get a replacement (isellprojectorbelts: E-bay). I bet things will return to normal. (The belt I have now came off a parts machine: unknown origin...)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2010 04:21 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi members...
On these Elmos, the top belt needs to be tight enough to turn the rear spindle pulley without the belt slipping on the pulley.
The friction clutch pack on the takeup spindle is used to regulate the amount of drive needed to operate the take up reel.
So when operating, the long belt should not be slipping at all.
All slipping should occur at the friction clutch pack and that is easily adjusted by increasing or decreasing the spring pressure.
Most of the Elmo friction clutches have some lubricant on the friction surfaces to ensure a gentle take up. They can be vicious if too dry. Use silicone grease sparingly on the cork friction washers then adust the spring tension till the take up operation is smooth yet positive. Check visually to see that the long top belt isnt slipping in its pulley groove. Make sure the clutch does slip properly.

Give us a report after you try that.
dogtor

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2010 05:31 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I have this same problem on my Elmo ST180, but it's not that big of a deal for me, I just give the reel a manual push and it works like a charm. (Rewind stalls at about 500-550' on a 600' reel)

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 02, 2010 07:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, That's exactly the way it is.

When I bought the projector it had that problem, and a few months later the belt broke and it worked perfectly after I replaced it. 5 years later that belt broke and the one I took from my parts machine put me back to the manual assist at the end of the reel.

What a lousy night's projection! I popped the belt, replaced that, and then popped the lamp too!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC