8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Striping silent films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Striping silent films
Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 05:45 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Walt Disney cine short of "Clown of the Jungle", my favourite cartoon of all time, but the problem is that it's a silent film.

Is there anyway to have the film striped so that I can record the sound unto it?

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 06:26 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian-

Send the film to EVT Magnetics in England. They are reasonable, and do a great job. The last job they did for me (about a year ago), they put liquid stripe on silent film, and I recorded sound on them, and the sound was VERy Good.

James.

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 06:49 AM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is acetate (and I'd think that would be) - why not pick up a striper (eBay or Ealing or thru here) and have a go? It is quite fun!!
Cheers, David E

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 26, 2009 07:35 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much is the price of stripping 200" at EVT compare to the price of this particular title in sound version? knowing this title comes up on ebay very often? Usually it was sold around $8-$15

Christian, you should consider about this.

(ps: moreover, I have found this title at Ebay.UK on LPP, so you may get luckier then)

cheers,

winbert

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 08:41 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not been able to find such a striper, could someone link a cheap and decent one?

I really want to keep the reel I have already, because the colours on it are fantastic.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 26, 2009 08:58 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,

David is right, striping it yourself would be fun, the only thing is doing it right is a little bit of an art, and not something that would work perfectly the first time you tried it. If you were willing to invest a couple of reels of scrap film into learning how to make it work it would be the way to go, epecially if you plan to keep doing it in the future.

So your odds of things working out well on a one time basis would be better if you went to EVT.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 26, 2009 10:18 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind having a 600ft reel of Super 8 silent cartoons striped, as all of them are mint color, but I don't think that they were ever released as sound versions. Any idea as to how much EVT would charge? Do they have a website?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 26, 2009 10:44 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's .06 Pounds per foot with balance stripe. He has an option of doing the balance stripe full width for stereo recordings.

Nick has no website but you can E-mail him at maltfilm@amserve.com

There are some rules: no tape splices, no lubricant coatings (these can be removed), beveled cement splices are the best option for stripe integrity.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 11:10 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Price table (if it's .06 GBP/foot):

50' = £4
200' = £12
400' = £24
600' = £36
1200' = £72

So you old folks won't have to crank up your calculators (ho-ho-ho).

Anywho, that is a very fair price if it means I can have sound on the reel. Will check for tape splices and then send him a mail.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 12:13 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a jewel mini striper, made by Eumig, and have not used it for many years.
Steve is correct, that it's best to first practice on scrap film.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 26, 2009 04:56 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the last posting not a long ago:

Stripping Stripe

Larry wrote EVT email re charge as follows:

quote:

Our charges to stripe Super 8 film are;
6p per foot main track only 7.5p per foot main and balance stripe
Return postage extra. Payment in U.K by cheque overseas by agreement. Regret do not accept credit cards.

So Christian for 50 feet there must be GBP 3 (not GBP 4).

That's good.. but you have also to consider shipping cost Norway - UK v.v to do that.

Anyway, as I told you there is a sound version with LPP print for this title which you don't need hassle to re-dub.

It is yours now to decide.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2009 05:32 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I cannot find this print you are referring to. Would you be so kind as to link it?

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 27, 2009 12:29 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What link Christian? If you meant about the EVT charge (as per Larry email), you see the word "Striping Stripe" (with underline) on the above posting, just click on that and you will be brought to an old posting.

However if you meant was about the LPP print of "Clown of the Jungle", it is not currently on Ebay. However, I have seen it many times on Ebay UK. Please remember, having seen the artwork of the said title (that is in green box with Donald and a friend in a square box, right?.), it was released later (my print is marked 1980). So the chance to get LPP is bigger compared to the 1970s release.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC