8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Would anybody like to volunteer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would anybody like to volunteer?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 28, 2009 08:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Folks!

Got a project for ya!

I'm wondering if my monitor may be losing it's color fidelity. I was recently looking at one of Dan Lails auctions, for the feature, "Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror" (great film, buy it! There's my plug for Dan!), and I looked at that first screenshot and to me, it looked sepia tone, not black and white. That intrigued me, as sepia tone prints are more rare.

Upon looking at the auction, all the pictures were pretty much sepia tone, except for the spinning Universal logo, which was an almost perfect black and white.

Could other members of the forum look at it and see if they see that same sepia (brwonish) tone color to the screenshots? If you don't see any browning, please post on this topic, as it would most certianly mean that I need to get a new monitor.

Please note that this is no diatribe against Dan's auctions, which I know to be honest, but it would explain why I would see a certian color on the auction and nopt the same on the film when it arrives. It could just be that my monitors on the frack!
Please note: Dan's auctions and a link to them are nin the films for sale section. Check out his other stuff too!

Thanks guys!

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2009 09:34 AM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you mean sepia (ignore my ignorance and spelling) do you mean slightly brownish? thats the colour they look to me anyway

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"
"No, she's just nipped to Sainsbury's. Do you want to come in and wait for her?"

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2009 09:38 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also see a pinky-brownish sepia tone on the pictures, except for the B/W universal logo.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2009 02:00 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 28, 2009 02:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, my eyes and monitor aren't bonkers.

Please note everybody, this is no attack on Dan's acutions. His auctions are just fine.

I wonder if something in the ebay system (for posting screenshots on the auction) can cause dis-coloration to the posting of screenshots? If so, it puts sellers at a dis-advantage.

So why bother with this? (as Joe's "rolled eyes" image would potentially suggest) ...

Any serious collector, who wants to update they're collections, will closely scrutinize a screen capture from the potential addition to they're collection. If, (perhaps in this case), the print of they're dreams appears to have a better color than they're present print, they'll buy on the merit of that screen capture.

If there is something wrong with ebay's placing of screenshots, giving a false impression of a print, (which the buyer has no intention of doing, by the way), then it is ham-stringing the seller, as the buyer could come back against the seller, claiming that they mis-represented the print, when they did nothing of the kind.

That's all.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2009 02:36 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

What is Dan's user ID on eBay?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 28, 2009 02:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal ...

It's "dananjerry" I believe, but there is a link to his current auctions in the Super 8 films for sale section on this very forum.

--------------------

Chris Smith
Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2009 02:59 PM      Profile for Chris Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having sold nearly a 1000 prints on eBay over the years, I can say there is a real knack to getting a decent screen snap to display in an auction. It's often a white balance issue with the camera. I was screening a beautiful LPP color travel film, and the snaps were coming out PURPLE. It took a couple restarts of the camera to finally synch the white balance with the screen colors. I have photographed black and white films and wound up with purplish images, brown toned images and perfect black and white. More important, check out the written description in any auction where the seller SHOULD accurately reflect color quality--if the color has shifted to the red spectrum, the seller should state that. Likewise, as I have often explained in my auctions, the color may be BETTER than the screen grabs, etc. By the way, Osi, any sign of those Popeye cartoons?

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2009 03:34 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With B/W films you can just put the stills into a photo software program of your choice and make the stills B/W (drain all the chroma out.)
That way, they definitely will be B/W on-screen.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2009 03:59 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, one important thing here is that the camera will never capture the colours correctly.

To the camera, the image from the projector is merely light, so the colours that the camera captures are completely different than the actual colours. This is ESPECIALLY on B/W photos or the dark areas of colours photos.

Example:
The image I posted from my Walt Disney Xmas reel shows the colour to be a bit pinkish, while infact; it's pretty darn good black (LPP stock).

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 28, 2009 04:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to say the Popeye's have never turned up, but you would be the first to hear from me, of course. ThanX 4 asking, just the same!

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted December 28, 2009 04:43 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As stated before on this forum in some ancient post, I do not enhance my screen shots or alter them. I do take many screen shots of each film and only use the very best ones that represent the print. I do not use eBay's photo service. I have photographed over 6,000 films and have used the same camera on all of the pics. I always give a complete description as to color and condition of the print. On this particular print, I did not state Black & White because it is obviously a Black & White print. I did state that this was a Niles print, and I believe that most savy collectors are familiar with the varying condition of Niles prints. The last photo is of me after a long session of snapping a decent shot of a moving image. My auction ID is: danajerrye

Here is a link to my auctions:
http://shop.ebay.com/danajerrye/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2009 05:35 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the cameras definitely play tricks on the white balance and exposures. if it is left in auto on any of the settings there can be no telling what sort of slight distortions will be present. There is a blessing and curse that comes with ease I suppose.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 28, 2009 08:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like me screaming bloody murder at my mother in laws for Christmas!

Thats no joke ... the woman is pure evil!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC