8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Advice on a standard 8mm sound projector (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Advice on a standard 8mm sound projector
frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 07:40 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill,
Do you also have a Eumig P8 in your collection?
I think they are one of the best & also the most under rated of the 8mm Movie Projectors.
The best version is the P8 NOVO, which was the last model they made. It had a 12v 100w I.Q. Lamp and puts out a magnificent full picture frame for Standard 8mm.
Individual beam adjusters allow perfect light distribution on the screen. The Halogen Lamp is cheap & easy to replace.
The entire standard 8mm film frame is projected & I havent seen a better picture from any of the dual 8mm silent machines that have been referred to as plastic projectors.
They also have a wonderful Eupronet lens with great Zoom.
Whenever I want to watch Regular 8 silent home movies the Eumig P8 Novo is the Projector I reach for. Especially if I want to recapture the movie with a digital movie camera. The variable speed is smooth & has a good range, so its easy to match shutter speeds.
A clutch allows motor drive to the shuttershaft to be suspended. This means the individual film frames can then be examined using the external inching knob to rotate the sprockets slowly.
An automatic mechanical shield reduces heat to the film frames when using the clutch.
One of the strange quirks of this machine is that it rewinds film in the opposite direction to other Projectors.
When playing a film for the 1st time on this, you need to play it right through to the end of the reel before attempting reverse projecting or rewinding.
If not, the film ends up all over the floor because it unwinds the delivery reel instead of rewinding it. Its fine the 2nd time.

These projectors are often seen for sale on ebay & they usually very cheap to buy.
The Eumig quality & performance that we all admire in their later model Super 8mm & Dual 8mm movie projectors all have their origins in this excellent vintage projector.
All projector collections should include a good example of a Eumig P8 NOVO or a P8 Automatic.
dogtor [Razz]
 -
 -

a picture is worth a thousand words...

[ June 23, 2010, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 10, 2010 10:06 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank,
I agree with all you say about the Eumig P8. My first 8mm projector was a P8, which I purchased in the mid 1950's, and believe me the P8 was a big leap forward in projector technology at that time. When everybody else was using massive 500 watt mains voltage bulbs, along comes the little P8 and shows it can push out more light with much less heat using a little 12 volt 100 watt bulb! And the design of the little P8 is so beautiful and compact, again unique for the time with top positioning of the spools. I soon added the Eumig Phonomatic attachment for synchronizing with a reel-to-reel tape recorder and was producing sound films well before the introduction of 8mm stripe.
I think the P8 was the projector that really put Eumig on the map, worldwide, and as you say it heralded all the brilliant Eumig innovations which were to follow. I will never forget the joy of my little P8, and I still think Eumig were the best ever 8mm projector designers anywhere in the World.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 03:11 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank...no I don't have any Eumigs in my collection. It looks and sounds awesome.

Paul...thanks for the picture.

I'm a sucker for just about any projector. I have quite a few that don't work but I keep them around for parts or display. To me it's like a rescue mission...every projector deserves to be saved!

This one (the P8) will probably be in my collection sooner or later.

David...I'll also take note of the Fairchild.

Bill

[ January 11, 2010, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Bill Phelps ]

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 05:52 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Always check that these 2 pins are not damaged before buying a Eumig. They sometimes have only 1 pin remaining, yet they will appear to be Ok & still project. Don't fall for that trap.
Are you sure? I think the 810D was designed with only one pin.

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2010 04:29 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Forum Members,

I made this ammendment to my post much later, when more knowledge & experience was gained....

Super 8 versions definately have 2 pins.
Dual 8 versions have only 1 Pin.

This advice supercedes previous remarks I may have made on this subject.

[ June 23, 2010, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------

____
//``\\

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2010 06:32 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank,

Hmmm....Mine has only one pin. I am the original owner -- have had it for 36 years. It still plays both formats. I was always careful to have it in the pulled-back position before changing gates. I don't recall it ever having 2 pins -- but I could be mistaken.

thanks

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2010 07:24 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony & Martin,

You are both right about Dual guage Eumig claws only having 1 pin since new. I have dismantled a few wrecked 800 series Eumigs and found that the dual versions do indeed have just 1 pin.
The fitting hole on the claw for the 2nd pin is there but there was no 2nd pin fitted in these ones. Just a big empty hole.

The Super 8 versions had 2 thin pins.

dogtor

[ June 23, 2010, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------

____
//``\\

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 03:58 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question of 1/2 claws (pins) on Series 800 (and others) is quite clear.
Regular 8 ONLY machines have TWO claws, spaced by the frame pitch.
Dual gauge machines have ONE claw which can engage with either sprocket hole standard, the entry point and different strokes being controlled by the specific aperture plate fitted. Fitting a second claw to these machines would damage Super 8 film.
If a claw breaks on a Regular 8 machine it will continue to work with only one, BUT a broken claw on a DUAL gauge machine would prevent the transport working on any gauge.
Therefore, NEVER attempt to fit a second claw to a DUAL machine, unless you also throw away the Super 8 sprockets and aperture plate, making it a Regular 8 ONLY machine.

S810 is Regular (Standard) 8 ONLY. S810D is DUAL Gauge. S810D LUX is DUAL gauge with better illumination.

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 05:23 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin
I have edited my incorrect statements with regard to the number of pins in the claws of Super 8 & Dual 8 Eumigs.
Martin is very correct & I was mostly wrong.

*****Regular 8 ONLY machines have TWO claws, spaced by the frame pitch.
(You are correct on this Martin).

******Dual gauge machines have ONE claw which can engage with either sprocket hole standard,
(You are correct again on this Martin).

******the entry point and different strokes being controlled by the specific aperture plate fitted.
(The aperture plate has no bearing on the movement of the claw or entry point into the film. It is determined by the cam shaped groove which the claw peg is sitting in & pressed against.
The slot in the aperature plate must never touch the claw or it would break off a pin in seconds. The purpose of the slot is to make sure the claw doesn't touch the aperature plate during movement of the claw.)

*******If a claw breaks on a Regular 8 machine it will continue to work with only one, BUT a broken claw on a Super 8 machine would prevent the transport working.
(Again, you are correct on this Martin).

******Therefore, NEVER attempt to fit a second claw to a DUAL machine, unless you also throw away the Super 8 sprockets and aperture plate, making it a Regular 8 ONLY machine.
(You are correct on this once more Martin).

[Razz]

[ June 23, 2010, 04:33 AM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------

____
//``\\

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 07:37 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, you are quite right in two respects...
1. The S810 is a Super 8 machine,not a Standard 8 one. That error arose from my mis-reading of the Instruction book.
2. A two pin machine has the pins spaced so that they CAN enter two sprocket holes of either gauge, and therefore the lower pin will effect pulldown (actually "pushdown" on these machines). The upper pin does nothing, unless it is spaced exactly by the frame pitch (it is apparently Super 8 pitch), in which case it shares the load in Super 8 only. Otherwise, it is only there as a "spare".The aperture plate, as you say, does not control entry or "stroke", but only frame size, and the claw assembly is moved by the Framing knob to control the "exit" point relative to the two different frame line standards.
On both those points I hold up my hands and admit ....
1. My mis-reading mistake, and
2. My mis-interpretation of the significance of the difference in aperture plates.

However, the fact does remain that the S810 (super 8) was fitted with TWO pins, and the S810D and S810D Lux with only one, as standard. I queried this with Josef Grassman when I discovered that the S810D ( like my S824) had only one, although the shuttle had holes for two.

Here is question I sent to him on the 20th October last...

<<I have some confusion regarding the claws on 800 series Eumigs, specifically 810 and 824.
In Forum discussions on this subject reference is often made to "the claw" or "the claws". The question is... should these machines have ONE or TWO claws?
I have an 824 which runs beautifully and has only ONE claw. I also have an 810 which I have not run yet, which also has only ONE claw. Both machines have a second hole in the claw carrier. Should there be a second claw? If so, how is it fixed in the carrier?

Thank you for any help you can give.>>

And the answer...

<< 802, 807 810 are super 8 projectors and have two pins on their claw.
The "D"-projectors e.g. 810D means they play both Dual= standard 8 and super 8, by exchange of filmplates with different aperture size. Due to the fact that pitch between perforation holes on Standard 8 and Super 8 is different, they use one pin, only.
824 is a dual projector but without a "D". It has one pin, only.
There exist some Eumig projectors with special shaped two pin claw. Both pins have a distance of about 2 inches. So they fit perfectly in Standard 8 and Super 8 perforation holes.
I donīt know by heart the Eumig types, as I repair all brands of projectors. Here they use two pins for Standard 8 and Super 8, which is an advantage.
Best Regards
Josef>>

So, if your S810D has TWO claws(pins), either someone has fitted another one believing it to be needed (it is NOT essential) or it has been repaired using a claw shuttle from an S810. On an S810D the upper of the two claws will never actually touch the film when used on Standard 8 unless the bottom one breaks
My remarks regarding broken Claws (pins) and their effect on the film transport remain accurate.

I am glad to enter discussions like this, as they bring to light errors due to mis-conceptions. In this particular case, it is doubly useful as it drove me to examine my aperture plates and as a result I discovered that the little side pressure plate from the Standard 8 aperture plate of the S810D I am working on is missing...the spring is still there.

Does anyone have one, or a complete Standard 8 aperture plate from an 800 series machine going spare I could buy?

Martin

[ January 13, 2010, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 05:35 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin
After the passage of some time, I have realised you are correct in your statements regarding the number of pins in the Eumig claws. I want to thank you for the excellent manner in which you explained the case. A very interesting subject.
We enthusiasts don't have much access to official Eumig blueprints and workshop manuals so we are left to work it out "together". This is why I enjoy this forum so much.
There is so much to learn from each other & all members will benefit from these discussions as our collective knowledge grows.
best regards to all
dogtor

[ June 23, 2010, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------

____
//``\\

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 05:55 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes this has been very informative reading. It really helps my understanding of how these projectors operate. I also tinker around with projectors so this forum IS an instruction manual!

Thanks for the extra pics, Frank!

Bill

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 09:12 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, that's better -- I thought my 810D was broken!
I've always noticed that it is more finicky with Standard 8mm than Super 8, though. Some Standard 8mm films run great -- others a bit jittery -- even after lubrication. I use it primarily as a Standard 8mm projector for several reasons: 1) I have an Elmo ST-1200 HD, and 2)the Eumig has worn disk drives making it useless for sound films -- and all of my Standard 8mm films are silent. Yes, I have sanded and cleaned the disk drives, and I can run sound films with perfect pitch for a few reels, but then the speed starts fluctuating.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 07:38 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arising from the discussion, it is interesting to note that the claw in these machines is a "pin" quite simply because its position in the horizontal plane (relative to the film edge) is, of necessity, fixed, and has to engage both types of sprocket holes.The actual width of horizontal overlap of the two types is only 0.74 mm (0.029 inch), so the pin must be very narrow to avoid touching the edge of the holes. A slightly bent "pin" (easily effected if you neglect to withdraw the claws before changing apertures) will possibly damage the film, or cause it to break off completely.
The distance apart at which two claws would exactly fit bot Standard 8 and Super 8 perforations is actually 38.1 mm (1.5 inches), representing 9 Super 8 or 10 Standard 8 frames.

Martin.

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 06:40 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin's description of the claw/pin arrangement in dual gauge machines is my main reason for prefering dedicated machines.

Whilst I'm sure that the quality of projectors such as the Eumig range leaves little to be desired in this department, I'm just not comfortable with it - - just in case!!!

As a professional engineer, I admit that this psychological approach may be, - and probably is, unfounded; but it's just that gut feeling or instinct that sways my preference for dedicated equipment, not only regarding the film hobby, but pretty much everything technical.

Usually, if a piece of kit has to perform several jobs, the laws of reliability engineering come into play to a greater extent, and the Gaussian and Poisson distribution theories indicate that "if something can go wrong, it will".

For this reason, I prefer Hi-Fi separates, we have separate washer & dryer etc. etc. too. No problems!

"Therefore, Bill, wait till you can afford the Eumig Mk S" - and I'll wait for some Forum friends to shoot me down in flames. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 07:02 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David

Is it possible to post a pic of your Eumig Mk S ??

[Razz]

[ June 23, 2010, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------

____
//``\\

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 08:07 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Frank,

I think the best thing I can do, is to point you in the direction of an article I posted on the Forum on 14th March 2008, entitled "The Eumig Project". I converted it to take 800ft reels.

The projector I am talking about is simply a straightforward Mark S. No other numbers or letters.

There are lots of photos in that article, and I'm sure you will recognise the projector when you see it.

Cheers,

--------------------
Dave.

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 03:07 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a catalogue of the mid 60's I found the Agfa Sonector 8 with a bottom part that makes it also capable of playing sound standard 8 film as well as recording sound onto the sound stripe. Has anybody any experience with this projector? I had a look and it doesn't seem to be around a lot for sale nowadays ...

--------------------
Alex

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 04:09 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David... I checked out your 'EUMIG PROJECT'

Very impressive...I want one! I like you am more in favor of a dedicated machine like the Mark S. Due to its age I am skeptical about getting a good running unit unless I pay the piper..so to speak. I'll have to see how it all works out because I'm not ruling out an 810 or 824. You did a nice job on your upgrade. You have stated that it runs good so I assume that the extra weight of the bigger reels has not affected the motor or anything else inside?

Bill

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2010 07:50 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill,

These machines are built so sturdily that there is no risk whatsoever of causing any damage by the weight of an extra 400ft of film.

As I have stated in the past, I always use re-winds for rewinding my films after projection anyway, whatever format I am using, as I prefer the control you can get doing it by hand.

You may be interested to know that I did once look into the possibility of converting the arms of the 700 and 800 series Eumigs, but I decided that it was not practical for many engineering reasons. Therefore if you don't go for the Mark S, I'm afraid I would not be able to help or offer any suggestions regarding extending the arms.

Have a look at my post just submitted under "Standard 8 Magnetic Sound". Here you will appreciate my reasons for wanting larger reels than the usual 400ft!

Continued good luck in your search.

--------------------
Dave.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC