8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » WINTER TIME SCREENINGS HELPFUL INFO FOR ALL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WINTER TIME SCREENINGS HELPFUL INFO FOR ALL
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2010 11:44 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if anyone here seems to be having problematic issues running movies in the winter when the temps are naturally cooler.

I am presently, since our first big snow storm here in Massachusetts, experiencing unstable projection at start up. Typically, the reel will start and in a few seconds loud chatter and slight loop loss will briefly occur. The prints and projectors are fine.

This happens more with optical and just alittle bit with magnetic.

I'm guessing since all plastics, metals, are colder during this time of year they start up harder as compared to summer. Including but not limited to, static electricity for example.

Based on my clip board log sheets, I think I'm right. These are issues based on the time of year weather being a factor. I recall optical shows running much smoother, and yes the log sheet said up to the end of November when it was still Fall like weather for my area.

Anybody share some comments here?

|  IP: Logged

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2010 12:08 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chip
I have that here was well with my projectors and is really noticeable at work on the 35mm machines.
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2010 12:45 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chip!

This is very true. Here in Norway where I live it's usually -20 celsius during the winter, but this winter has been particularly cold, with temperatures going as far down as -40 C.

Anywho, this naturally brings about problems, the one that bothered me the most is that the cold temperatures makes the machinery stiffen up quite a bit, so much that when projecting at 24 fps it drops up to 2-3 fps unless I pre-heat the machines.

No damage tho, only temporary stuff [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2010 06:49 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,same problem here in the UK.I run the projectors a few minutes first to get the lubrication round before the show,a practice we adopted in professional cinema back in the old days!

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 06, 2010 12:43 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, same as Barry. Run 'em first - warm 'em up!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC