8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Colour Fade Film Stock

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Colour Fade Film Stock
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2010 08:12 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been making some comparisons between Mylar /Estar film stock with regards to Ken titles in clamshell boxes.

I have noticed that acetate film has less colour fade compared with polyester prints that where also made at the same time on Kodak SP.

Has anyone else come across this or has tried to find a better copy of Ken/MGM features or 400/200ft cut downs colour wise?

MGM titles especially the 3x400 features where prone to this. Thou if you are lucky enough you can actually find prints that have been printed on acetate film which would have better chance of stronger colours.

Now i wonder what the ratio of this would be as most prints from the early 80s where printed on the new stock Mylar.

[ January 10, 2010, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Robert Tucker ]

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 10, 2010 08:34 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its an interesting thought Robert. Could a film, even with the old fashioned quick fade eastman stock, hold up much better on estar than mylar? Could the "plasticine" stock have as much to do with film fade as the color process? Is that what your saying? I don't want to get it wrong.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2010 10:04 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, You are totally correct, from experiencing some titles that i have replaced so far it seems Polyester is more prone to fade. For example most of Universal 8 titles fall into this category.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2010 01:56 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
A very interesting observation. I wonder if we're looking at a stock problem or a laboratory problem and if these were printed two up on 16mm stock or four up on 35mm stock.

Probably don't have anyway to find out this information at this point unless someone knows from the history of each company. Universal had an exclusive contract with Technicolor for the studio work (Technicolor Plant 20 was on the corner of the Universal Lot on Lakershim Blvd) but I don't know if it extended to Universal8/Castle Films.

Likewise, MGM ran their own Metrocolor Lab on the lot, but once again I don't know (and rather doubt) that they did work for Ken or Super8 at all. Technicolor did do Super8 work, but I don't think they did it at Plant 20.

John

[ January 11, 2010, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: John Whittle ]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 11, 2010 04:27 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that most of the Universal titles were on Acetate Stock especially the early titles. Interesting.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC