8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » About CHC prints...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: About CHC prints...
Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2010 02:31 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me if Classic Home Cinema has printed some of its German features, like The Mask of Zorro, Spiderman, 007, etc.. in different kind of stocks?
I mean, there could exist both acetate and polyester versions of these German prints?

Thanks
Flavio

|  IP: Logged

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 02:28 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Flavio,

I know that the German Lab uses only acetat stock.

Regards,
Michael

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 05:32 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Polyester is not an option as the lab can't apply paste stripe. Hence the laminate stripe on all German prints.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 08:34 AM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Michael thanks!

Indeed I don't understand John's reply...

John, are you saying that there could exist GERMAN prints (from CHC I mean) that are on polyester stock and have laminate stripe?

What I want to know is if a copy of a feature I've been offered, that is in polyester and for sure is from Germany because it has deutch credits, is from CHC or not!

Thanks
Flavio

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 10:41 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flavio, German Labs had offered to me a couple of times movies printed on polyester but WITHOUT ANY STRIPE, although we all know very well their issues are on acetate. So weird, but it's true.

I do believe they were test prints and probably, after experiencing it was not possible to stipe the stock they normally use, they were for sale at a cheap price (cheap... well... Let's say cheaper than the usual one).

For instance Derann made the same with some copies of JURASSIC PARK that were printed and supplied by the German Labs some years ago, if I well remember. These were for sale at a low price for the reason stated above: no way to stick magnetic stripes on them.

I kwow for sure a couple of titles still available on polyester but NO STRIPED are E.T. and SPIDERMAN. So, you are right about different stocks CHC use. But, once again, I'm quite sure they are 'isolated cases', probably to test new stocks or striping methods less expensive than the actual ones. Ciao.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 11:11 AM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian,

the film I'm talking of is not mute but it was in GERMAN Mono language and re-recorded in English STEREO so with a double track and in polyester. I've been told it is a CHC copy, but I'm not sure now... [Mad]

Flavio

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 13, 2010 11:41 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Early CHC releases were on polyester stock, so it's true that you can find polyester prints of some of their earlier features. However, I'm sure these were printed in the UK, so are not "German prints".

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 01:52 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian,

thanks for your info!
I think I've been told that the film is a German print probably because of the original audio language and the credits are so.
In effect where it was printed probably it's not easy to discover... I hope it will be in any case of such a quality like any other CHC print, even if it is not.

Bye
Flavio

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 13, 2010 04:04 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can verify "The Mask of Zorro" as I own it. Very Lovely color and sharpness!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 13, 2010 07:22 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flavio - I suppose the one thing we can be sure of is that the CHC acetate prints are all made in Germany. I don't know if any of the German negatives have ever left Germany but I doubt it.

It baffles me why the German polyester prints mentioned couldn't be striped - there can't be many sources of Super 8 stock so you would imagine that it would have been the same AGFA of Kodak stock used for printing in the UK. I can't imagine what use could me made of Super 8 stock that can't be striped, unless someone started making optical prints again!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 03:08 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On 4th June 2009 Mr. John Clancy stated the following, referring to JURASSIC PARK:

quote:
Classic will be able to sell you a new print but this was a German release. Derann did have a few copies but I believe they striped them themselves which is why there were a few copies being sold off cheap with flaking sound stripe (it didn't stick to the acetate stock).

Sorry I forgot to state, in my previous post, that the mentioned JURASSIC PARK copies were striped.

About unstriped polyester prints, they were offered to me at the end on 2009. I did not ask the reason why they were for sale without any magnetic stripes.
The only think I was told from the Labs was 'You could always sync the movie while screening it with a DVD player'.
I thought it was a little weird. If I have to play a DVD, why would I screen the same movie at the same time?
I simply replied 'NO, THANKS'.

The real reason why those movies were offered without any stipe is far away from my knowledge.
But it's possible to contact the Labs and ask them [Wink] .

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 03:34 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flavio, how do you know this print in question in polyester? I wonder if the seller is just telling you it is when in fact it's acetate.

Just to confuse matters further, my copy of Jurassic Park came via Derann and it's acetate with laminate stripe. I can't recall the last time I ran the film with the sound from the stripe as I always run it in sync' with DVD.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 05:39 AM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi... yours is exactly the movie I'm referring to! Is it your copy in polyester? If yes and you are sure it is a CHC copy I have solved my doubt [Big Grin]

Hi John, it is on two 1200 feet reels and it's complete (at least the Seller says so!).
The magnetic stripes are grey, not brown, and if you put the two reels against a source of light, this passes through them, because they are transparent... That's why I have the confirmation is in polyester. I can't believe the seller is a lier on this! [Roll Eyes]

Flavio

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 05:49 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have been told some prints were produced by the German lab on Polyester stock and were then sent to Italy for striping. Because of the problems with striping onto Polyester they then went over to Acetate stock and used laminate stripe. I have to say that in my experiance the quality of recordings I have done on the laminate stripe are superb [Smile]

I hope Derann now go down this route for their prints now that Film Labs North have shut shop [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC