8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My first Derann!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My first Derann!
Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 08:39 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, I got my first Derann print, a 200' featuring "Cat Concerto" with Tom and Jerry. Looks so pristine, but have yet to test it with a projector.

Only paid £5 for it, because the seller thought it was a lab reject, when it in reality was a returned reel (wrongfully shipped).

What was you guys' first Deranns? [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

|  IP: Logged

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 08:51 AM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Christian!

Very goog choice! Tom & Jerry are wonderful cartoons!

But you have also to try a Disney toon, now...

My first Derann was Mickey's Christmas Carol, an absolute "must to have" in my opinion!

Ciao,
Flavio

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 09:31 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first Derann was Cinderella and still my favorite! [Wink]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 10:32 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney's 'The Lion King' mine.
Happy to know you can now experience the top, Chris [Wink] . Enjoy it.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 10:51 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have too many of them, but my first Derann came from a second-hand seller in 2002, and I wasn't sure at first who made it! Over time it became plain as day. It was "The Old Mill," that wonderful multi-plane animation test and ode to windmills and storms. Beautiful print but I must say one of the reasons I wasn't sure if it was Derann or not is because the focus is a bit soft. Shortly after that I picked up a used trailer from Dave Thomas. Then a couple of classic Mickey & Donald cartoons -- those look great. No features -- too $$$.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 06:39 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first Derann's were all cartoons:

Who Killed Cock Robin? (Silly Symphony) Excellent toon and awesome print!
Gruesome Twosome (Tweety) Top Notch!
Three Little Wolves (Silly Symphony) perfect!

I was actually blown away when I screened these the first time. The quality is outstanding. I also have quite a few train films from Derann also...OOPS! sorry I'm going way past my first Derann....

Bill

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 13, 2010 06:46 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian -
I'm curious about your film: if the seller thought it was a reject and you haven't screened it, how can you be certain it isn't?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 02:14 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first Derann was "The horror of Dracula" and "The beauty and the beast".

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 04:55 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first Derann film - "THE SEA HAWK" starring Errol Flynn. Purchased in July 1979.(Eyesights going, the hearings gone, the heart is slowing up, but the memories linger on....)

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 05:27 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've looked over the film with an editor, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, except for a tiiiiiny yellow line that lasts for a few seconds.

I'm assuming it was wrongfully shipped because it has an address label on it that had simply been X'ed out with a marker, and it says "Return to sender".

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 05:44 AM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael but ... which was the first one you projected among them? [Big Grin]

Flavio

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 08:21 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Rollercoaster Rabbit" back in the 90s
No longer with me as I sold it when I got the superb 16mm version. Which is no longer with me now as I found recently the 35mm print.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 14, 2010 08:45 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Onward and upward, Jean-Marc!

First Derann: "Sounds of Arizona" back in 2002. It is 'Scope which I didn't know when I bought it. I watched it flat for at least a year before I got both an anamorphic lens and a screen that I could show it more than a foot high in widescreen mode.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Daniel Aveline
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 08:51 AM      Profile for Daniel Aveline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My very first derann was the big boss trailer

--------------------
D Aveline

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 09:06 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a very long time ago - probably 1982 - but I think it was the 400' of 'Plague of the Zombies', bought new from Portland Films in Shaftesbury Avenue. A good way to start!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 09:16 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
My first Derann print was the fetaure version of Carry on Camping. Long gone now as it went red but I have managed to replace it with a later Polyester LPP print.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 09:29 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to go way back to the late 80's (1987, I think), when I first collected, and it was "The Neverending Story" scope stereo 600ft. I remember how impressed I was with the sharpness/color, but the stereo was lacking.

Still, to hear stereo coming off of that little mag track was quite nice, especially back in 1987, when there was no CD, (at least, not in MY house), DVD wasn't even a thought, VHS was the norm, and Laserdisc looked tempting.

The thought of getting a stereo film to watch on a big screen still looked high tech to me.

Now, twenty five or so years later, it looks and sounds anti-quainted, but it has lost none of it's impact to me and personally, (and I know that others would disagree), I think home theater reached it's zenith at scope stereo Super 8.

Even with all our hi-tech projection TV,
Even with all our Blu-ray.

I will always be mad about my now low tech scope stereo Super 8!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 10:44 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, Christian, if your "Cat Concerto" from Derann has a Walton end title, then it's the same as mine and is slightly abridged, with about a minute skillfully cut from the original. A regrettable loss.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 11:55 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By the way, Christian, if your "Cat Concerto" from Derann has a Walton end title,
Bill, if such print does exist, so how we know it is from Derann (i.e latest print) or just someone re-boxed the Walton into Derann's style box? knowing that Derann's box is just plain, while some of Waltons are also on AGFA?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 12:34 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just last year I got my first brand new Derann: "Deputy Droopy."
Since then I've gotten "The Cuckoo Clock" and "Lonesome Lenny," all Tex Avery cartoons.

I always check out prospective purchases on YouTube before I buy, just to make sure I'm getting something good. Do most of you do this?

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 05:34 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John...I do check them out on youtube if I don't have it but usually I buy things I am already familar with and want to have a copy for my cinema. Sometimes when I am previewing something on youtube if I really like it I don't watch it all until I have the print for the screening room.

Bill

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 06:17 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill - same here. If I know I'm going to buy it after seeing the first minute or so, I'll stop watching so I don't spoil it.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 06:23 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John...sometimes this makes me very anxious to get the print!

Bill

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 11:36 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, it was a brand new, never-run print with a lab problem. On polyester with laminate track. So I got it at a discount, but it was a new "Cat Concerto."

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 12:41 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the same reel so far, I'll look it over today and see if it's missing anything. I know this cartoon in-and-out, it being my favorite T&J, so I'll probably notice if something's missing [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC