8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 8mm in sync with DVD??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8mm in sync with DVD??
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 04:02 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something that's puzzled me is when some of you talk about running a Super 8 print in sync with the DVD - I presume for the superior sound quality.
When you do this, what happens if theres a frame or two missing from the print due to damage, etc.?
Doesn't the sound go out of sync then?

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 06:00 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes this is true Michael. On the rear of the GS1200 there are a pair of buttons marked +/-. These allow you (fine control) to speed up or slow down the machine slightly untill the sync loss is removed.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 07:01 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting!
Is the GS the only projector with which such a sync is possible?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 11:01 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael. if I am not mistaken by following so many threads re GS-1200, what Kev mentioned with +/- speed is the speed adjustment on the back panel. Something that also available in many projectors (most of them are placed on board with 2 tiny pots). But what make GS (and some high-end projectors) special is the crystal sync features that can be locked with Pedro box. So the projector is running in constant speed.

rgds,

--------------------
Winbert

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 11:43 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to spool up my copy of Deranns release of "Grease" in such a way that once started at the right point, it will remain in perfect sync with the DVD (with the GS 1200 locked to 25fps with the Pedro Box).

It's very satisfying to run it this way, as you get all the benefits of the great DVD sound and the charm of a real projector and film. Haven't run it for ages so it might be time for a showing. [Wink]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 05:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert, No Im not referring to the speed control knob. The GS has two push buttons one marked + and one marked -. When you push either of these in ESS mode they increase or decrease the speed by about 2FPS thus allowing you to get the film back in sync.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 03:52 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a Fuji Super 8 projector with pulse sync' capabilities. Buckingham had one at the BFCC some years ago but I can't remember the model number.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 15, 2010 04:29 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Pedro, the following equipment can be pulse-synced:

Bauer Super 8 mm projectors:
T502, T510, T525, T610 only.

Bauer 16 mm projectors:
P8, P8 univeral, P8 selecton.

Braun Super 8 mm projectors:
All „Visacustic“ models, no additional interface required!

Beaulieu Super 8 mm projectors:
All 708EL models

Elmo Super 8 mm projectors:
GS1200MO, SP HI-DELUXE, SP DELUXE, DELUXE

Erno Motor Editors:
EM-1801, RE-703, RE-903

Goko Motor Editors:
MM-1, RM-5000, RM-8008

Teac Tape Recorders:
A-3440

Tascam Tape Recorders:
B-34

The unit I use with my GS1200 works like a charm.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 15, 2010 01:29 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bauer 16mm can be synced? Wow! That's interesting. I don't know of any 16mm collectors who've tried this.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC