8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann Films ... A Tribute!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Derann Films ... A Tribute!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 09:43 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I read the post on what was our first Derann Films purchase, I don't think I can over-emphasize the impact of Derann Films. I think this is even more important as we see Derann Films now having problems finding a new film lab and, perhaps, even our beloved Derann may have a slight crisis.

I would be surprised to learn if there are very few, if any, collectors on our forum, as well as collectors in general that do not own a film distributed by Derann Films, whether a trailer, short subject, documentary, cartoon, digest or feature film, (that just about covers it).

They're dedication to this beloved hobby of ours goes well beyond any profit margin. Could Derann Films have tossed in the hat in the 1980's when everyone else apparantly were "abandoning
ship"? Of course they could have. Did they? Of course not!

In fact, they not only squeaked by, but expanded and grew and, in the 1990's did what could only be known and sdescribed as a miracle; obtaining a contract with Disney to release they're film archives on Super 8! That, in itself is stunning, considering that it happened in the age of Laserdisc and DVD.

A tip of the hat must also go to the fine lads in the UK (mostly) who have never given up they're love of this fine hobby, which helps immeasurably to keep Derann afloat, not to mention, of course, the rest of the world.

But Derann didn't release films if they had enough people writing in for a title. No. They didn't only guage releasing a feature based upon money put up front. No, they put the FILM up front, and the collectors came running.

Now, years forward in time in bloody 2010 no less, the Derann flag still flies. It pains me deeply that I don't have the bottomless pockets that some collectors have, as I would LOVE to buy feature after feature from them, but I dearly thank Derann for they're continued existence!

Gary and all you lads, Many thanX 4 all the prints through-out all these years! You are near and dear to all of us collectors!
I hope that you fine folks will have the chance to read this specific series of posts, as I'm sure that others will also post they're best wishes!

Sincerely ...

OSI Osgood, film fiend extroidinaire!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 10:06 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well written Lil Bro. I have been a customer since the early 1970's (even though I did have a "break" of 15 years away from the hobby in the 1980's). The enthusiasm of Gary, Ged, Adrian and Steve is still as "good" today, as it was 40 years ago.

I remember Gary turning up to the store, wearing short trousers and Derek Simmonds taking him to the "rest room", in his break, for his "milky drink".

The only thing that has changed, is that Derek is no longer with us, and the "short trousers" have disappeared, but Ged still takes him to the "rest room" for his "milky drink". [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 02:51 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very concerned by the long term implications of Derann struggling to find a new lab, and I hope and pray it is a problem they can overcome. For years they have been a leading light in our hobby, and the quality of their releases has been incredible. I can't see it being the end, though, as they've risen to some pretty daunting challenges in the past, and they're a determined bunch down in Dudley.

Fingers crossed this is merely a hiccup in the continuing legend that is Derann.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 04:15 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with all of you, guys.
Gary (and all the gang), always thinking of you.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 06:08 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only known about them from 2005. I have been into 8mm since the early 1980's when I was a young teenager but only with my own home movies and my family's films. I actually was oblivious to packaged films until recently really. I honestly thought film was dead and in the early 1990's embraced video.

But thanks to The Big Reel...then Steve Osborne and The Reel Image...then the 8mm forum...I have come to realize it has been going rather strong despite my absence!

I would say that the folks at Derann deserve many thanks! I really do try to buy something new every so often and will continue to do so. I am a supporter of the hobby and I love it. I wish I had figured out it was still thriving years ago!

Bill

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 14, 2010 08:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann really changed the way I experience Super-8.

Life (college mostly) got in the way in the 80s and I got side tracked from enjoying films. Sure, every so often I'd pull out my one silent machine and show one of the 20 or so commercial and home made films I had, but it was kind of a rarity.

In 1999 I started buying Kodak film again and making my own movies, and I bought silent prints on E-bay.

A little over a year later I heard of this outfit across the Pond that was still making commercial prints. I was shocked! All sorts of films including theatrical features!

They presented me a problem: every last print was sound! I tried to ignore temptation a little while; but In August 2002 I finally buckled and bought a sound projector.

What a great new world of film this opened up: not just silent historical films anymore, but cartoons, short comedies, musical extracts, features, cinemascope, stereo and the chance to experience a little taste of the big screen in my own living room.

Seven years on, I doubt I'd still be at it without Derann and Super-8 Sound. There just wasn’t enough within the limits of the silents to keep my attention this long.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 11:04 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hear Hear !

We humans have a tendency to 'only appreciate something after its gone'

I hope everyone realizes how fortunate we are to have Derann around.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 03:49 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone with any genuine lab suggestions, please pass them on!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 12:10 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, have you tried to contact Guido, following what me and Fabrizio have suggested? Let us know. Ciao.

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 04:36 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not yet, I'll speak to Ged and Adrian at the next convention. I don't want to interfere but want to pass on all possibilities just in case they've run into a brick wall.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 08:45 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good. Hope to receive soon good news.
Ciao.

--------------------

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 01:16 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding a lab for super 8mm printing I think would be Andec in Germany. When I wrote to Gary about what lab they use they suggested Their lab and Andec. Maybe Andec is the only one now that prints super 8mm. Ordering super 8mm print stock from Eastman is now a special order, which means you have to order a whole bunch not just one roll. I remember ordering just one 16mm double row roll from Eastman pre-striped back in the day.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 01:19 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's hope we will hear soon good news [Roll Eyes] ...

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC