8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Tape Synch Projectors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tape Synch Projectors
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 12:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if anyone here ever used one of the various projectors that offered sound synchronizing to a reel-to-reel tape recorder. These were quite popular in the mid 1950's before the advent of 8mm stripe, and there were quite a few of them around. Eumig had the Phonomat synchronizer which integrated very neatly to the little Eumig p8 projector so that it looked like it was part of the machine (later they did in fact integrate the whole thing with the Eumig P8 imperial). I had one of these and my recollection was that it worked very well indeed for adding commentary and music to home movies. Bolex had the Synchromat box which coupled to the Bolex M8 via a flexible cable, and Noris had a really neat projector with a cassette tape player integrated right into the back of the machine. And then there was the 'Dominus' British machine which had a projector on one side and a tape recorder on the other side of a central chassis.
Interesting devices!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 01:35 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, as we jsut talked about synchronizing GS 1200 with Pedro through crystal sync feature, how did those tapes work with the projector in synchronizing sound and picture? What will happen if the motor of projector was slightly drifting after several minutes of playing?

rgds,

--------------------
Winbert

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 02:12 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I have the GS, I have been looking at using it with some form of sync, to run a separate music track to a silent feature, for instance.

My reel-to-reel has a center track for timecode, so any 'pulses' can be laid down there, preserving the two stereo tracks for music, but I have yet to decide what to do, re: a Pedro box or similar.

I just got a Nizo camera which will output sync pulses as well for field sound use, so the possibilities are good, but one step at a time: first I have to see the test film to make sure the camera runs well. I am toying with the idea of using my little hand-held Zoom digital field recorder for sound....

Between the above, I hope to come up with a sync solution at some point.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 02:30 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My reel-to-reel has a center track for timecode, so any 'pulses' can be laid down there
Claus, so the pulses work like "[pulse-1]....[pulse-2].....[pulse-3].....[pulse-etc]" recorded on both 8mm & tape, and when pulses on 8mm projector is slightly speeding up then the reel-to-reel machine will try to catch it up by increasing it speed to? (in order to synchronize it?)

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 03:04 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,
With timecode (broadcast standard) that is the way it works, and that is where the synchronizer comes in, keeping an eye on both machines, so they stay 'locked' on the same code numbers.

With the Super-8 sync system (not timecode), I have yet to figure out what will work and what won't when it comes to doing it. I strongly suspect a Pedro box is in my future though...

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 04:33 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With timecode (broadcast standard) that is the way it works, and that is where the synchronizer comes in, keeping an eye on both machines, so they stay 'locked' on the same code numbers.
So basically, Pedro is NOT a synchronous machine, isn't it ? Because it does only work to lock the GS1200's speed for constant fps.

So when the DVD's speed is increasing, there is nothing can be done by Pedro. And if this happens, the sound and picture will not be synchronize. Am I correct?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 04:49 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a 100 percent sure of whether the Pedro box does anything for the 'incoming' player (tape or otherwise); the box is supposed to hold the GS to its exact speed as chosen.
I have to read up more on this, to see how/if it matches up with the sync pulse my camera puts out, and how/if that can be incorporated with the Pedro.

Claus.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 14, 2010 05:35 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
"So when the DVD's speed is increasing" this will not happen. The DVD contains the sync pulses for the TV system in use. If the DVD speed were to change this would cause the TV to loose sync etc. The DVD source is very accurate indeed as is Pedros sync box. All that remains then is for the GS to lock to these accurate pulses which it does in a form of closed locked loop. The projectors speed control board compares the pulses from the Pedro box with pulses generated by its internal circuitry and if the 2 pulses drift the projectors circuitry compensates by adjusting its speed internally to the motor until both are the same.
I hope this has explained this ok without going into too much depth on the workings of the ESS circuit in the GS.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 05:51 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul... I have always been curious about the Bell & Howell system from around 1969. I have 2 of the cameras (442) that work very nice, all the hook-up cables, the tape machine (that doesn't work) and no projector (for this system).

If I could track down the tape player and the projector I really want to give it a go. Are you familiar with this system?

Bill

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2010 06:14 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,
Thanks for that; that does help. The gist of my question then is:
With the Pedro box locking the speed of the projector based on the DVD, if I were to lay location sound over to a DVD and play it with the Pedro box, it would lock up the DVD to the GS, but I would still have to manually line them up at the correct start spot?
I presume this is how the post-sound striping with prints is done?

Thanks,
Claus.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC