8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Hanimex Loadmatic 924

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hanimex Loadmatic 924
Paul Martin
Junior

- posted January 16, 2010 09:23 AM      Profile for Paul Martin   Email Paul Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Afternoon everyone. A little advice needed please! I currently use a Sankyo Sound 301 but my Dad has given me his Hanimex Loadmatic 924 Duel Projector (for the Yorkshire price tag!), its gorgeous - in its original box with instructions looking almost as good as new, bought in the early 70's.

I'm guessing the drive belt has gone - the motor makes a sound but theres no movement on anything, bulb is still fine and the fan works.

I had a look on ebay for a replacement - are these easy to replace?

Todays other steal was a Johnsons of Hendon screen that sits of the floor, unclips either side then lifts to give a good size screen. The Sister got it from an auction for £1!

--------------------
The world needs more Star Trek on 8mm! :)

|  IP: Logged

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 11:55 AM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
I don't have any experience of this machine but I would confirm that this is likely to be a badged model because as far as I know Hanimex never made their own stuff.
Hanimex is an acronym of (Jack) HAN(nes) IM(port) and EX(port) of Australia.
Some projectors emanated from Bell Ko-on who made the Magnon projectors, some were also made by Raynox and it'll be a fair bet that other manufacturers also made machines for Hanimex.
My gut feeling, based on the type of manufacturers Hanimex enlisted, is that your machine may be disapointing compared to your Sankyo,
John

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 01:00 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a picture of this I found on the web and a listing on "super 8 database" I am pretty sure that this machine is the same as a range of projectors badged as Cinerex (828 etc). Bog standard, said to scratch film (though mine never has), but very robust with rock steady pictures and good speed control. It is listed as having 400 ft capacity but a very small modification enables a 600 ft take up reel (will already take a 600 ft feed reel) to be fitted. My Mk 3 Transfer (telecine) machine is based on one of these.
Martin.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2010 05:26 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul

I have dealt with many Hanimex dual 8 Silent machines, & will not buy them anymore, even if they appear like new in pics.

It would be a good idea to check the lens on that Hanimex 924.
Here in Australia, all the Lenses fitted to all the Hanimex range of dual 8mm seem to be ruined by fungus & they are cloudy.
About 1 in 10 are OK.

The 924 as well as the 808D and especially the Hanimex Dualmatic series as shown in the pics.

All these models have probably got ruined lenses, so don't buy any of these unless you have checked the lens 1st.

Dogtor Frankarnstein

-

-

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Paul Martin
Junior

- posted January 19, 2010 05:18 PM      Profile for Paul Martin   Email Paul Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info everyone - very thankful for it. Frank - I have a nasty hunch the my lense may be a little duff, there wasn't a clear 'square' of lamp when projected, I was hoping it was just cold in the room because I can't work the heating in our new house... the control panel is like something off the USS Enterprise! I've got the new belt and will put that in at the weekend and remove all fluff/dust and hopefully get somewhere!

Regards,

Paul.

--------------------

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2010 05:46 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul

What you have described above is a classic symptom of a cloudy lens.

The frame edges are foggy are not sharp at all as light spills sideways. Sharp focus is impossible. A poor level of light actually reaches the screen.
The condition is a "Projectionists Curse" and is known as "lens bloom".
It often involves fungus growing on the inner Zooming glass element. Despite many attempts to dismantle & clean these, every case I attempted has been a failure.

Now I stay well away from those projectors and a couple more to avoid is the Kelvin dual 8mm & the Ricoh dual 8 Silent. Both of those Projectors can suffer the same lens problems. So stay away from them even if they sound cheap. You cannot easily find replacement lenses for any of these machines. [Smile]

Dogtor Frankarnstein

--------------------

____
//``\\

Paul Martin
Junior

- posted January 19, 2010 05:50 PM      Profile for Paul Martin   Email Paul Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank,

I'm not sure how to break this to my Dad - it was the first thing he bought when he came out of the Navy in the early 70's and was his pride and joy. Fair enough it sat in his loft for many years and I until recently lived on a narrowboat and it was on there for a while too. What would you suggest for a simple silent, (here comes the Yorkshire) cheap standard 8 projector? I see so many on ebay etc but get a little lost.

Regards,

Paul.

--------------------

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2010 05:54 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi paul,
I would recommend a Eumig p8 Automatic or a Eumig p8 Novo.
They are one of the best dedicated Standard 8mm Silent projector & they are cheap to buy & very good quality.

Dogtor Frankarnstein
[Razz]

--------------------

____
//``\\

Paul Martin
Junior

- posted January 19, 2010 06:02 PM      Profile for Paul Martin   Email Paul Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Frank! I accidentally ended up with a 2x400ft copy of Battleship Potempkin that really needs watching... I thought when I bought it it said super 8 so this is one of the main reasons.

Regards,

Paul.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC