8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Visit to Parallaxe, Amsterdam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Visit to Parallaxe, Amsterdam
Peter van Zand
Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 01:36 PM      Profile for Peter van Zand   Author's Homepage   Email Peter van Zand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amsterdam, Super 8 Capital

Today I went to see Johan in his wonderful shop Parallaxe, and this time I took my camera with me.

Keeping the 8mm flag flying:
 -
Yes, that's my bike [Smile]

Johan's counter
 -

16mm shorts
 -
Of course I coudn't resist buying one, as usual.

Inside Ali Baba's cave
 -

More treasures
 -

The Master himself, checking an 8mm projector just brought in
 -

It's always a pleasure to visit Johan in his shop, I easily spend an hour or so, chatting away and inspecting the goodies, and I almost always end up buying something.

Have a look at his website: www.parallaxe.nl it has an English section too.

I feel so lucky to have this shop around the corner from where I live. (Top Film is even closer, I'll put up some pics soon)

For some more and bigger pictures have a look here at my own website: www.vergetenfilm.nl/parallaxe

--------------------
www.vergetenfilm.nl

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 22, 2010 02:37 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

THanks for posting this.

Unfortunately I did not know this place when I visited Amsterdam 2 years ago. Otherwise I will pay a visit.

On your website there is Bruce Lee (UFA, 400"), how much he is selling for this kind of film, and how much for Techno Films (200", Color, Sound) that are stacking there.

Lastly, on your photo no. 2 above, what is his point to hang some film cells? Is that part of the shop's decoration or he is doing something with it?

--------------------
Winbert

Peter van Zand
Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 02:59 PM      Profile for Peter van Zand   Author's Homepage   Email Peter van Zand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

The 400" reels will go for 12 - 15 Euro, he told me today, but the Bruce Lee was in German. I don't know about the 200" ones, but I guess around 10 Euro. The film strips are just decoration, used as a curtain between the shop and the back room.

--------------------
www.vergetenfilm.nl

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 03:07 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter,

A beautiful store. It's the way a photo shop should be: stuff everywhere [Smile]
To see films and projectors on a shelf in a store today is just amazing. Johan deserves much praise for keeping this up, and I hope he has many loyal customers.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 03:20 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] This is the Paradise... [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2010 10:07 PM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that a whole shelf full of 926s?

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2010 08:20 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have visited on several occasions whenever we find ourselves in Amsterdam. Johan was so kind, that on the first occasion of our visit, he even sent us a street map of Amsterdam, with the route clearly marked from our hotel to his shop (emporium)! Just across the Vondelpark.

Simply wonderful.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2010 09:04 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm jealous.

I wish we had a shop like that here on this side of the pond.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 01, 2010 09:36 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great, I must include it on a future visit to Amsterdam. There can only be a small number of shops left in the entire world with so many projectors on sale. I didn't know that he also sold films - any idea what sort of material is on the 16mm reels, as I couldn't find a film list on the website?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2010 10:15 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true, you really can buy anything in Amsterdam!

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2010 01:00 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What else worth having are you thinking of, as I'm not interested in diamonds? [Wink] [Big Grin]

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC