8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Un opened films (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Un opened films
John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2010 04:06 PM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ONE MILLION B.C ON SUPER 8 8MM CINE MOVIE FILM UNOPENED
Just a quick Q here guys, What is the risk if any of the films being bad in this situation. The above item is for sale and I was just wondering.
Regards.
John

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"
"No, she's just nipped to Sainsbury's. Do you want to come in and wait for her?"

|  IP: Logged

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2010 04:30 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there is a risk to this. If it's completely sealed, then theres a large risk of vinegar syndrome due to the lack of oxygen/air.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2010 04:46 PM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankyou [Smile] , I thought there might be a risk of some sort, so theses type of advertisements are worth ignoring then, unless they are realy cheap so the buyer isn't out of pocket to much [Wink]

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"
"No, she's just nipped to Sainsbury's. Do you want to come in and wait for her?"

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 24, 2010 05:06 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
8mm sealed can't have vinegar that way. The smell from inner-cardboard won't necessitate that. Nearly half my films are still-selaed with cellophane, I'm trusting they'll be okay

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 24, 2010 05:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Problem John, I that you have no idea as to how this was stored.

This film can be just as wonderfully sealed and unplayed as you could ask for, not a speck of dirt or a scratch, but trhat doesn't mean that the color wouldn't be faded.

I bought a "Sports Goofy' 400ft Disney release from the early 80's, still sealed, and it had gone completely pink.

So, your taking a chance that this sealed print could be a pink mess. it all depends on how it was stored. Nowe, if you were to ask this person where he got it, and he was to reply, "this was in the basement of my camera shop for thirty years.", buy it in a second, as you'd be getting the best you ever could. basements tend to stay cool and dry.

Hope that helps.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Raymond Glaser
Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2010 06:14 PM      Profile for Raymond Glaser   Email Raymond Glaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought one from him (Super 8 Sound) about a month ago and it was PERFECT !!!!!

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2010 07:28 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's like rolling the dice. I rolled them a few months ago on a 400' Sound Of Music, original price tag, perfect box... and a HOT pink mess!

I now usually stay away from the 'sealed' postings. I'd rather the owner break that seal, and tell me what condition the color is in.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 24, 2010 07:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is if it is polyester based, there can't be any VS...but fade is another thing altogether.

The idea of sealed films is an interesting phenomenon. When I was at John Black's film meet a collector walked up to me really excited about getting a Disneyland park film still sealed on the card. We talked about it for a minute and I asked him "You're not ever going to watch that, are you?", and he said "Of course not!"

I think it's better he bought it: my curiosity would have gotten the better of me as soon as it got dark that night....

(Different needs!)

Greg, I've never seen a 400' Sound of Music that wasn't faded. It's a shame: my wife loves that movie. Derann's "Do Re Me" in 'scope is nice, though.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2010 07:52 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve... that pretty much is true, isn't it? I had my fingers crossed on this sealed one. I should have listened to my instinct. Ha. One day, I'll have that feature in Scope.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 24, 2010 08:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be something to see!

Eight years ago we traveled to Austria and when we were in Salzburg we took the Sound of Music Tour. This was full of Japanese and Americans because it turns out that by and large Austrians really hate this movie (-took several decades to be dubbed into German...).

It seems that it is illegal to fly a swastika in Austria these days and the filmmakers did it without permission and the authorities booted them out of the country. A lot of "The Sound of Music" was filmed in Los Angeles as a result.

It also seems "the Sound of Music" plays a little loose with the facts. The tour guide told us of one time after they'd gone through the tour and he explained the inconsistencies between the movie and you know: "real life", this lady got off the bus and said to him "You've ruined my life!".

I have taken this thread off topic: I apologize!

--------------------

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2010 09:05 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that this is a black and white film so at least there won't be any color fade.
Cheers
Terry

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2010 10:52 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, it won't fade so long as its printed on B&W stock. I've a few black and whites on colour stock, so you have to be careful.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 25, 2010 12:37 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
8mm sealed can't have vinegar that way.
No Joe, I once received a sealed Ken and when I opened it, it had been contaminated by VS. So it was a waste.

The thing was that reel was housed in a cardboard and I could notice there was slightly changed on the cardboard shape plus a water mark. This was resulted by VS that had also contaminated the cardboard.

so BEWARE!!!.

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2010 03:48 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Terry, it won't fade so long as its printed on B&W stock. I've a few black and whites on colour stock, so you have to be careful.
Wow, I haven't come across this before, but indeed a good point to keep in mind.
Cheers
Terry

John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2010 04:45 PM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going off the advice posted on here I have just sent a message to the seller, Q is
A long shot here, where have theses films been stored? and is there any chance you could open the box and test the film? I dont want to buy the film and find that it has turned pink which can happen to a film thats maybe over 25 years old depending on which film stock it was printed on. Sorry to be a pain.
Best regards/.
John
Lets se what reply I get

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 25, 2010 09:50 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I accept that being sealed will increase the risk of VS but I still doubt that it's substantial link, as I've bought quite a few sealed old films and never found one with VS. As for fade, if you're not sure if a print is likely to be faded, you can probably get the answer by asking here! If the print you refer to is in colour, you must mean the Hammer film 'One Million YEARS BC'. If you have seen the Ken 400' version, it's very likely to be faded. If it's the Walton 200' or 4 x 400' version, it will probably be on Fuji stock which might have some fade, but could be holding up well. I have one that still looks good.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2010 08:57 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the sealed business....I've know a few sellers who REsealed the films.....with the same plastic wrapping to make them appear newer....notice they don't usually tell you WHEN they were sealed. Could have been yesterday.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 26, 2010 10:26 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's easy to tell. The bottom of the box is often dark, dirty or worn. Brand-new from the distributor are sparkling sharp, creating a "gem-mint" category to market by - Add to that, shrink-wrap was only developeed with the last decade or so. Film boxes were sealed in cellophane, not always as-tight and can breathe a little better, so to speak. Though several shrink-wrapped items have looked quite choice. Look at Model Kits, toys and games and such, from back when and you'll note the differences - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 26, 2010 10:39 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thatsa a good point Joe.

Also, vintage shrink wrap can even yellow slightly.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2010 01:48 PM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Iv'e had a reply from him.

Hi John, I have opened one for myself and it was fine. No pink at all. Also I have not had any other customers complain/email me so I guess they are on non-pinking stock. If you like you can purchase one and if it turns out to be very pink you can return it for a refund. How's that? Kind regards...........

I might risk it then, what ya think?????

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 26, 2010 02:26 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless he wants a fortune for it, I'd do it!

I think your greatest chance for regret here is not taking a reasonable risk and then wondering if you missed out on something good.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2010 02:36 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Steve.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2010 03:43 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Steve and Gian on this. You've got nothing to lose really, and it would great to have a point of reference, and perhaps some screenshots, for the future [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 26, 2010 04:58 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The risk of buying a new film has to be less than the risk of buying a used film, unless the used film is from a reliable source that knows the exact condition, etc.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2010 05:21 PM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im going to risk it...........why not eh.......living life to the full [Wink]

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC