8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What do you expect from a convention?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you expect from a convention?
Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2010 01:36 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the talk here about BFCC possibly closing down (let it live, let it live! *fingers crossed*) and minor gatherings around the world as got me to thinking.

What do YOU as collectors expect from a convention?

Because I've been playing with the thought of having one here in Norway. We have a closed/closing school here in great shape with a large gymnastics hall that can be used for both dealers and screenings, and a lot of spare rooms to use for minor private screenings and such. As I'm a leading board member in the main local organization here, I have easy access to this school pretty much whenever I want to. We also have a store nearby run by very nice people, so food/drinks and soforth is no-problemo! It's also a very nice place, nature wise, so I'm sure alot of people would be happy just to take scenic tours around here [Wink]

Anyway, there's also two minor problems:

1. There's no hotels or motels nearby, the closest one is 20 km from here, but you need to go through a tunnell that will cost you £10 for each passing. We do however, have two "apartment buildings" right next to each other, with 1-bed, 2-bed and 4-bed apartments that can be rented quite cheap.

2. The route here SUCKS. You need to fly to Bergen, and still it's two hours here from there, minimum! The boat trip down here is very nice for tourists tho!

So what do you guys think? I know it would be easy to do this locally, but with the lack of interest here, it wouldnt be too many visitors. Do you think this would be doable in a way that I could attract collectors from abroad?

I would of course make it cheap since the travel is a bitch. I was thinking free dealer tables and a cheap entry fee or something [Smile]

Comments, please!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

|  IP: Logged

John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2010 05:25 PM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I admire your enthusiasm, its very frustrating when your head is full of ideas to promote your interest and you seem to be banging your head against a brick wall just because of your location.

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"
"No, she's just nipped to Sainsbury's. Do you want to come in and wait for her?"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 26, 2010 07:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I went to the convention in New Jersey, what I was looking for above all things was to meet other film collectors, especially people from this Forum (in person).

In a way, the highlight of the event was actually Dinner out Saturday night: no film, no projectors, just film people and film talk. The linguine and clam sauce was kinda nice as well.

Didn't even go there to buy films. Let's face it, it's almost too easy to buy films these days! (-Bought a nice Blackhawk L&H..let's consider it a souvenir!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 09:40 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking aswell. The most important thing is to meet other collectors and discuss our wonderful hobby [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 27, 2010 10:38 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, come over here to the New Jersey show and see the way John Black has it. You're most-welcome. As I see it, that building with available bedroom spaces could be overturned to a modest inn of sorts catering to the visiting collector, coupled with a nice boat-ride for easy pick up and departure. Cost effective, but an idea anyway. The best thing is to start small, in the gymnastic hall (my sport, BTW), and advertise. You will then see that no mattter how far or what the trek, whne you have a good show, collectors will beat the path to your door - Shorty

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 11:29 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice, Osi [Smile]

Going to Jersey will be impossible for me this year due to expenses with school and other activities, but I'm hoping that I can attend in 2011 [Smile]

--------------------

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 12:23 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,I have my trusty tent and sleeping bag, [Smile]
If you have a garden i can pitch up in,im there..
Best wishes
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 01:28 PM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I seem to be in the minority so far, for me it's all about the dealers room, I couldn't really care less about the screenings, meeting people etc. I admit I do have a slight advantage in that my work for the Projected Picture Trust means I get to talk about film at least once a week if I want to 'til I'm blue in the face. No, for me it's hunt the elusive Walton 'Doctor Who and the Daleks' and expand my collection as far as my budget allows.

As for trying to hold a convention in the middle of nowhere if the BFCC can't seem to perpetuate themselves with a London location Kvinnherad hasn't a chance I fear. Best of luck if you give it a try though.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 03:59 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Mikael, my thoughts exactly. But I don't get it, it seems that so many people are interested in it, why is it a problem to draw a crowd in London?

--------------------

Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 05:40 PM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Travel distance, other commitments on the particular day, budget, the relatively small remainder who can make it who aren't affected by the above and, believe it or not, health- a sizeable number of the 'film community' are not exactly in the first flush of youth, I'm 25 and I tell you what being crowded in that one room with all the jostling, the heat and carrying heavy cans of film I had to go outside a couple of times never mind forty of fifty more years to contend with. I certainly don't think lack of interest is the issue.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 27, 2010 06:06 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joking side is,.... while the topic title says "except" instead of "expect", all members here can give the asnwer as to what Christian meant... [Big Grin]

ps: OK..ok... that should be "answer" instead of "asnwer" [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 03:32 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BFCC does get a good crowd by modern standards but the costs of everything have made things uneconomic. Everyone seems to want a fortune coming in nowadays with little comprehension that the escalation in their pricing means their venue is hired far less. Common sense is no longer permitted here in the UK.

At least 200 people and a good supply of dealers are required to make a London based convention cover its costs. Sadly that means there is little or nothing left over to invest in equipment and films. Keith puts in a lot of effort for each convention and the stress is pretty enormous. I don't know how he's managed it for so long.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 05:26 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's understandable. And that is again where I have an advantage. I don't have to worry about large expenses in the same way!

I've currently got some discussions out on the subject around here in Norway now, and I've decided that if I can get a crowd of c. 100 or more, I might give it a shot [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC