8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kahl Super 8 Colour Film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kahl Super 8 Colour Film
Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 02:24 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this offered on their website, has anyone used it or knows what stock this is? Thanks MIKE

|  IP: Logged

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 04:40 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I'm aware the 50ASA is Fuji Velvia, and the 100ASA is Kodak Ektachrome 100D.

Kahl has a reputation for being a bit secretive (or possible just a bit uncommunicative) so I wouldn't hold my breath for any confirmation from them.

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 05:06 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

some of their films are rumoured to be based on Agfa-slide-stocks... however Kahl doesn't tell and so one can only guess...

Jörg

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2010 05:45 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used both the 50 and the 100 ASA films by Kahl and with the 100 ASA one I would also guess that it is Ektachrome. I doubt very much that the 50 ASA film is Fuji Velvia, it doesn't really fit colour impression wise; what gets me with the 50 ASA Kahl stock is that it doesn't produce the same "sharpness" that the 100 ASA stock does.

--------------------
Alex

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2010 01:26 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since we are talking Kahl:
I have looked at their fine-grain B/W film offerings, and I was curious, but since I can't find anyone who has tried those stocks, and since Kahl wants to develop the film themselves, it doesn't seem practical for me in the US.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2010 03:06 PM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Claus,

If you're talking about the Kahl Dokument 12, I'm pretty sure this is Kodak 5363/7363.

If so Pro8mm do the same emulsion in Super 8: Super 8/63 B&W Reversal - 10ASA

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2010 06:21 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bart,

Thank you for that heads-up! I am just about to try some Pro-8 stocks, so next time around I will look for that very slow one.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2010 01:54 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alexander, how does the Kahl 50asa compare to Ektachrome T64? Thanks MIKE

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2010 06:55 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
........is there any chance we'll see Kahl or any other company exporting 8mm here in the UK and breaking the monopoly of Kodak 64 at all??

--------------------
Yannis

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2010 07:32 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used Spectra Film & Video 100D in the Super 8 format; outstanding!

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2010 07:54 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got Ektachrome 100D for sale, but only in Standard 8.

I haven't added it to my website yet, if anyone is interested they can email me using shopatbluecinetechdotcodotuk

I've also got 7362 B&W 10 ASA, and Plus-X. The Plus-X isn't spooled up yet, so I can't sell any of that immediately.

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2010 12:26 PM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael!
Here are two screenshots (off a film editor - that's why they are so bad [Wink] ), the first E64T (Super8) and the second one Kahl UT18 (Standard8). My opinion is that the colours on the Kahl are very natural but there is always the issue with the sharpness; E64T's colours are very strong and the grain is much more obvious.
Ektachrome 64T:
 -

Kahl UT18:
 -

--------------------
Alex

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2010 04:13 PM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Alex, I guess the only thing to do is to try it for myself and make my own mind up Thanks again MIKE

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC