8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "The Time Machine" (Ken Films, 3 x 400")

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "The Time Machine" (Ken Films, 3 x 400")
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 29, 2010 04:40 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone has this title?

I am curios about the color condition as this is the last reel released by Ken Films before they closed down in the beginning of 1980s. Any sign of fading?

Can you tell me if they are printed on LPP or Kodak SP?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2010 05:14 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan Lail just recently sold one. He might better tell. As I remember it wasn't the best to begin with. The same goes with CLASH OF THE TITANS. It almost appeared as if they were double duped. Don't know why they were that way. However, I did notice it has more picture than the later, much better quality feature released by Red Fox. Noticed especially in the title.

On another note, I just recently talked with Ronald Knorr of Red Fox. We had a very nice talk and ended with both of us agreeing that it was a fun time 'back in the day'.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 29, 2010 05:26 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Larry,

But I did follow Dan's auction for "Time Machine". That was a full feature and if I am not wrong it was not from Ken.

I am curios with the one released by Ken, since the old topic included this title on the list of Ken Film (MGM) last three-parter releases.

Any one has three parter of this particular title?

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 30, 2010 06:05 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add some info that the last three parter released by Ken Films are:

1. Time Machine
2. Viva Las Vegas
3. Cincinnati Kid

They are reported that released without any artwork cover.

I have a Cincinnati Kid and did come with plain sleeve. However to make it nicely sitting with the other MGM releases, I made my own cover with the MGM artworks style:

Front Cover

-

Back Cover

-

The whole cover

-

The color has faded, but print is sharp.

I understand this copy was exported to Germany (by Ken, instead of Germany lab printed itself) because there was a low interest of 8mm film in the beginning of 1980s after video become so popular in the USA land. And in Germany it was released with an artwork cover by UFA.

Because this one was released in the end of 8mm films, any German member can report how the color does look now?

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 30, 2010 06:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert! Great cover job! It looks as if it always existed that way!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 30, 2010 07:53 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'The Time Machine' feature was initially released by Red Fox (I have one and I just checked the box). We know that some late Ken 400' releases were at least partly printed on low fade stock (I have a print of 'The Rose' 400' with perfect Agfa colour), so if 'The Time Machine' 3 x 400' was released later, I'd have thought that low fade prints are a possibility. However, this may have been printed in far less batches than some of the 400' releases, so maybe all are either faded or all low fade. It's complicated because as 'The Rose' is F61, you might hope that 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' (F62) can be found on low fade stock, but mine has fade and I haven't come across a low fade print of this.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2011 07:02 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently acquired the Ken 3 x 400ft digest of The Time Machine. Mine does have fade but is a very good digest. It comes in 3 plain clamshell plastic boxes. There is the title on each box with simply the 1970's MGM logo on the front of each as well.

Stange that Ken would do this given the cost of the digest at the time. They had such colourful boxes with their other MGM and Fox releases.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2011 06:18 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry, you should ask Ron to give you a history of Red Fox. I, for one, would be interested in the company's origin, how it acquired prints, when it actually folded. Also, would he know what the "Ken" in Ken Films actually stood for or came from. Nobody seems to have a definitive answer.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2011 12:25 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Winbert I have the 3X400 TIME MACHINE and here are some pictures of the print and cover I made for my versions. I got it in the 80's from RED FOX and the print looked fantastic now it is fading but not so bad . I cleaned it really good with FILMGUARD and that cleared up and sharped the picture . There is a bit of tint but I can live with it. But I love the digest and not many people have this film now it is really rare.  -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 07, 2011 02:48 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stange that Ken would do this given the cost of the digest at the time. They had such colourful boxes with their other MGM and Fox releases.
Yes David, my Cincinnati Kid also come with very simple cover. I thought at the first time that this title was the early release of Ken (due to the cover). But after learning here, in fact, it is the opposite, Cincinnati Kids is the last reel from Ken.

Laskmi, my Cincinnati Kid is also showing fade like your Time Machine.

BTW, the Time Machine is also released in Germany with full color artwork cover.

I don't know if they still good in terms of color, but I have found that this three parter is also available on LPP stock. So must be excellent!

--------------------
Winbert

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2011 08:29 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.super-8-hobby.de/ufa666a.jpg

It's the same for all 3.

Gordon Hunter
Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2011 09:17 AM      Profile for Gordon Hunter   Email Gordon Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 6 x 400' Red Fox copy of the "Time Machine". There is a date printed on the film as March 27th. 1984. Projected the film recently over several evenings and both sound and picture (colour)quality very good indeed. The film has been in my collection for some 10 years. Not sure what film is being used and wonder how can you tell if it is Low Fade stock.
Gordon,
Motherwell, Scotland.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 14, 2011 12:41 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270797826272&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC