8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Inherited Dad's films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Inherited Dad's films
Barbara Sherry
Junior

- posted February 03, 2010 01:56 PM      Profile for Barbara Sherry   Email Barbara Sherry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My father was an avid film fan going back to the 40's at least. During WWII he ran the projector to entertain troupes in his division in the South Pacific. I have home movies that date back to 1946.
I also have found a collection of old films, most in the original box which are marked Regent films. I can't seem to find any information on these. They appear to be in excellent condition and have been stored in a cool dry location, although I have not previewed them as the regular eight projector I have is iffy and I am afraid damaging them. I am thinking of selling them but would like to have an idea of what they might be worth.
I can't find anything similar on e-bay which probably means they are either rare or worthless [Smile]

There are 5 that are marked Regent (OB)
The following four titles are Regular eight:
Charlie Chaplin "City Slickers"
Charlie Chaplin "Charlie Butts In"
Charlie Chaplin "Greenwich Village"
Charlie Chaplin "The Tramp"
Regent Super eight:
Laurel and Hardy "Dirty Work"
Regular eight Charlie Chaplin Old Time Comedies (OB)
"Laughing Gas
White Box regular eight:
3 Stooges "Goofs & Saddles"
Errol Flynn "Dawn Patrol"

I also have my father's stag films, some of which are very very old. Some were interspersed with the home movies, and knowing my dad, he did that deliberately and is having a good laugh at our expense, especially when one popped up at a screening of home movies for a family reunion.

I may also have some other films and newsreels, unmarked and still mixed in with the home movies I have yet to screen.

I also have one 16mm film with VS in a heavy strapped box that is unmarked and may not be salvageable.

Interestingly my dad's passion carries down to two of my children who have both produced award winning Independent films that are currently in distribution.

I am also interested in information about film transfer and preservation for the may many home movies. What process is best, but won't break the bank as there are not only my dad's, but mine as well, spanning a family history of over 60 years.

Any assistance or advice will be greatly appreciated.

[ February 03, 2010, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Sherry ]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 03, 2010 02:20 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your message did not go all the way to appear - I collect 8mm shorts too, some Regent, stay in touch, Shorty

Barbara Sherry
Junior

- posted February 03, 2010 02:46 PM      Profile for Barbara Sherry   Email Barbara Sherry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The message appears in it's entirety in the next topic. A funny thing. My dad's name was Arthur, but in the army he was known as "Shorty".

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2010 02:58 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Barbara, [Smile]
Sounds interesting,cant find your second post,so please repost your list if you can.
Best Wishes
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

Barbara Sherry
Junior

- posted February 03, 2010 03:54 PM      Profile for Barbara Sherry   Email Barbara Sherry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had some problems but finally got this posted. Thanks for your patience.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 03, 2010 04:54 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, The "Shorty" for me was coined when I was a kid, by the other kids who amusingly called me that due to my predilection of the short-film

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2010 06:03 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Barbara! Welcome to the forum [Smile]

Check out- mymovietransfer.com

I use them for most of my transfer work and for the quality of work you can't beat the price.

Bill

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2010 06:26 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Barbara. Sorry to hear about your dad's passing. He sounds like a great guy! Unfortunately, I don't collect regular 8/standard 8mm. Used to, but focusing on super 8 at this point. I'm sure there are members on here that do. Kudos on your filmmakers of the family!

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted February 03, 2010 07:00 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Barbara!

I too am sorry to hear of your Dad's passing.

How many film are you planning to sell!

[ February 03, 2010, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

Barbara Sherry
Junior

- posted February 03, 2010 07:56 PM      Profile for Barbara Sherry   Email Barbara Sherry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually my dad is gone almost 10 years. He led a full life and was 82 when he passed. He was a character and I still miss him terribly. It has taken me this long to even think of parting with his movies, but my husband and I are retiring and moving to
Florida and are trying to cut down on what we have to take with us. I think he would like the idea of them going to a collector who appreciates them.
Bill, thanks for the transfer lead. I will surely check it out. My thinking was that I would use the money for what I sell to go towards paying for the transfers.
Shorty, he was called shorty, just because he was short.
Thank you all for the interest and kind words.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2010 08:13 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One other useful bit...

Even after you get your home movies transfered, keep the originals! Even the best transfers will never be better than the original films.

Bill

Barbara Sherry
Junior

- posted February 04, 2010 01:32 PM      Profile for Barbara Sherry   Email Barbara Sherry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I would be willing to sell them all.

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2010 09:13 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barb

If you find the prices of mymovietransfer.com outside your budget, I do high quality transfers which my customers rave about. I would be willing to transfer a 50ft roll for free for you to evaluate.
I have a rudimentary website www.moviefilmtransfers.com. Good luck, home movies are truly precious.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 04, 2010 10:27 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barbara,

If Dan doesn't end up purchasing all your films, you might want to list the titles in our "8mm films for sale/trade/wanted" section. Best of luck!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted February 04, 2010 11:12 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Doug.

I sent an email to you tonight, Sherry.

Edit: Gosh this moderator doesn't skip a beat. Barbara, I used your last name. Just my aixelsyd(dyslexia) kicking in. [Big Grin] Still, Sherry is good. [Cool]

[ February 05, 2010, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2010 02:46 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David....I didn't know you did transfers. I will have to check you out as you are in my state!

Regards, Bill [Smile]

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2010 08:54 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, yes I do more as a labor of love than anything else. I haven't taken the time (or spent the money) to have a killer website. I built my own systems with the emphasis on gentile film handling and pristine image quality. I get a kick out of rescuing people's old home movies with an archival approach and the occasional diehard (like me) that still shoots film. I have no minimum so you are not penalized by getting a roll or two transferred at a time while making a film.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2010 03:19 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David...I'm glad to hear your passion for it. I still shoot film and I have some old family stuff that I have slowly been transfering. I also do some myself but it's nothing more than filming off a foam board with a camcorder. But I have gotten better results this way than some different places that I have paid $20 for a 50' reel! But I am not stuck on one place to do the work.

Sometime after "tax time" [Frown] I will send you a reel and check it out [Smile]

Thanks for the heads up.
Bill

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2010 03:59 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Bill! I am sure you will not be disappointed. Like you, I tried some transfer houses over the years. I was never pleased with the outcome. When I got back a treasured reel of Kodachrome with scratches all over the before pristine footage... I decided to do it myself and my search for a better mousetrap was obtained.
I will always shoot film. Last summer I shot 600ft of Ektachrome 100D of DS8mm. Most fun I had all summer.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2010 04:15 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David...yes, I am always uneasy about sending 'one of a kind' footage off to someplace I don't know about cause I fear the worst...although all my experiences have been bad transfers and not damage to the films.

So I am glad to hear that you feel the same way...I'm sure my film will be in good hands!

Bill [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 12, 2010 09:15 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, we've gone a bit off topic. David, you should start a thread about MovieFilmTransfers.com and the services you offer.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2010 06:27 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry! I thought we were still on cause of the original inquiry regarding home movie transfers.

Bill [Smile]

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2010 08:55 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Doug!

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2010 10:54 PM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barbara,

All of those films are very collectable-- especially the stag films. Some of those get top dollar, the older the better. You might want to contact a few independent dealers before you put them on eBay.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC