8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Trouble with GS1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trouble with GS1200
Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2010 08:58 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's almost to the day one month since I got the GS1200, January 7, and I guess the honeymoon is over.

Yesterday I ran through some odd reels that I had trouble with on the GS800. There were "pops" in the sound, as if there was building up static and the "pop" was the release, and I wanted to see if this happened on the GS1200 too. Happily to say it didn't.

But! And this is a big but. All of a sudden the lamp stopped to work. Okay, it's gone, I have to change. But the new one didn't light either. When I chequed both the new and the old one, both lights up in pre-heat mode, but refuses to go on.
I have checked the fuses and they look all to be in order and all the knobs on the back is in correct position, but still it won't work. Everything else on the machine works as it should, it just refuses to light the lamp.

So what do you guys out there think it is?
And above all, is it easy to fix, since I am truly a really big idiot when it comes to technical things.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

|  IP: Logged

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2010 11:23 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lars!
Try to check the lamp holder sometimes its guilty of that kind of trouble,if had dirt or oxide you must change th lamp holder completely,wittner kinotechnik usually have for sale.

Jose

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2010 12:12 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without knowing this machine my initial suspiscion is the switch may need investigating. Given the lamp is receiving current at pre-heat I would guess the lamp holder is ok in this instance,
John

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2010 03:57 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this problem with my machine. Get in touch with Steve Osbourne from The Reel Image magazine in the USA. (Perhaps Google them?) He supplies exact replacement lampholder assemblies which only need two screws to be removed in order to fit. It's an easy job to do. After fitting one of these, my GS worked perfectly.

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2010 05:11 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lars, please check if the lamp stays in "preheat" mode when the machine is set to "play" and the lamp switch to "low" or "high". If that is the case, the lamp relay doesn't work which could have several reasons.

Joerg

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2010 06:06 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all of you who replied!
I have been quite busy lately, that's why I not have answered earlier. And among other things there has been problems with my internet connection (I am writing this at work!).

When it comes to the trouble with the lamp, I thought I should start with the easiest thing, and took a cotton swab and ever so gently tried to clean the lamp holder. And although I was very carefull, the middle part, the divider, snapped off! Must have been something wrong, it should not break that easy. So no matter if this is the fault or not, now it has to be replaced. I ordered a new lampholder from Wittner and it arrived today. Hopefully I will have time to replace it during the weekend (I am really busy this week), and, fingers crossed, it just might be all that is needed.
I will let you know what happens.

Once again, thank you for all your suggestions, they might still be needed (but I hope not).

--------------------

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2010 08:36 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a LOT of cursing and a strong yearning to throw the projector out of the window, I managed to replace the lampholder.
And now I am back at square one.
The lamp lights up in pre-heat mode, but refuses to go on. Nothing happens neither on low or high mode.

So, could anyone please give some advice on how to solve this glitch. And preferable a solution that don't involve taking apart the whole machine, since there is a big risk I will never be able to put it back in working order.

Oh, and have someone else do it is not possible here in Sweden, there is only one person that I have found that repairs projectors, and he sure knows it!
And no, I don't know anyone that is a wizard in technology, nor do any of my friends, i found that out when I tried to get a 16MM projector repaired some 15-20 years ago.

So, simple instructions for a technical idiot with five thumbs on every hand, please!

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2010 11:50 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You really need Kevo's advice on this one. Drop me an email and I'll put you in touch.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 23, 2010 12:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nevvver Mind!

(Point had already been made)

[ February 23, 2010, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2010 01:32 PM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lars, as mentioned above, it is possible that the lamp relay doesn't work if

* the lamp still "preheats" and the fan motor doesn't speed up when you switch to Play and lamp switch is set to low or high.

You said that you've checked all the fuses. Did you also check the slightly "hidden" one which is located next to the lamp relay, under the transformer? You will get the effect as described if that one is broken. If yes, try to replace it and check if it breaks again (hopefully not...)

Give it a try, even with 5 thumbs on both hands ;-)

Good luck
Joerg

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2010 04:35 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jörg (I suppose that's how you really spell your name) you were correct, it was the fuse. The odd thing is, I'm holding it right now and it still don't look broken.
I must say that the placing of the fuse is not optimal, I had a really hard time getting it out from that small space, much easier to put in the new one though.

Once again a big thanks to all and specially to Jörg.
And thank whoever/whatever that I didn't have to screw the machine apart!

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 23, 2010 08:53 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, Joerg!

Lars,

Let the honeymoon recommence!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC