8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Great Box Art! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Great Box Art!
Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2010 04:23 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe.
Search the forum for "Ken Films F38" and you will find a scan of "The Rains of Ranchipur."

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 07, 2010 07:36 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty,

Carter is the one who found the "lost" Ken title. He posted a scan here . Remember, this film was never released.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 08, 2010 05:47 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, Doug, it's wonderful, how unfortunate that wasn't a release - The box alone is worth it - I only need the 400' 3 Musketeers now - Shorty

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2010 08:10 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think its unanimous "The Claw Monsters" was a huge dissapointment.

Speaking of another that should have been way better:
"Equinox", A film I've always liked (even have the Criterion DVD) Unfortunatly the cutdown only features the guy in the caveman digs but no stop motion demon as featured on the cover!!

-

Usually can't go wrong with the Republic serials
 -

and more fun ones!
 -

-

Cheers
Terry

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2010 10:15 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh yes... Equinox starring Herb Tarlic!

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2010 04:16 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's two things he's known for!
Cheers
Terry

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 05, 2010 05:23 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked Equinox. I had the 4x400' Super 8 version at one point. The DVD has the original feature (before the Jack H. Harris reshoot) and some funny commentary from the cast.

More box art!

-

-

I just got Public Enemy from Tom Stathes at the Wildwood show.

Doug

--------------------

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2010 06:41 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved all of these great colour boxes and more often than notwas let down by the black & white, silent digest inside.

Today you buy a plain white box with a beautiful colour and sound film inside that exceeds my expectations almost every time!

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2010 08:24 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, David. Most of the KEN 200'ers were poorly constructed - hack jobs. I thought the digest for "The Odd Couple" was simply awful - it just ends abruptly with Felix exiting the apartment to go see the Pidgeon sisters. "Robin Hood" was terrible with no action at all - just alot of dialogue that was poorly captured by the subtitles and again an abrupt ending. The only 200' cutdowns from KEN that I thought were any good were "The Raven", "Planet Of The Apes", "A Bucket Of Blood", "Taste The Blood Of Dracula" and "The Beast With 5 Fingers" which mis-spelled Peter Lorre's name as 'Lori'. I was forever wishing as a kid when I finally got a sound projector that KEN would release "Dracula" and "5 Fingers" in sound.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2010 10:47 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought their 200' of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS was pretty solid.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2010 02:15 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

About The Public Enemy, how is the transfer?
Early on and in the days of standard 8, the United Artist company had very good source material.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 08, 2010 10:01 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I'm sorry to say that I haven't screened the film yet. Some of the early United Artists prints do look great.

I think the worst edit they ever did was this:

-

I doubt if there's anyone who could make sense of this one.

Doug

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2010 07:52 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it me or are there certain KENs that I always only seem to see in 'Standard" instead of 'Super' 8.

"Vampire & The Ballerina"
"Bugs Bunny - Unruly Hare"
"Beast With 5 Fingers"
"Return Of Dracula"

And just about all the RKO titles that UA/KEN had the rights to as well as the 'Tarzan' titles.

Why would KEN release certain titles in greater quantities of the older, obsolete guage when all the newer equipment in the 70's and early 80's was all 'Super' 8?

Many of the COLUMBIA 'Stooges' titles are the same way.

I remember having these in 'Standard' and being so unhappy with the smaller picture. After weeks of holding out for the local CALDOR or ZAYRE store not getting the titles replenished in 'Super' 8, I caved in and just bought what was available.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 26, 2010 11:08 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I finally took a look at Public Enemy. It's quite a nice print.

-

-

-

-

-

Brad,

I have Beast, Return of Dracula and the Tarzan series in Super 8mm, but there certainly are plenty of Standard 8mm UA releases out there.

Doug

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2010 11:28 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug,

Thanks very much for posting the picts. They are absolutely beautiful.
My experience has been that the UA material used in 8mm
was of print down quality, as seen in these picts.

Wow, Jean Harlow is stunning and to have it on 8mm.
I'm sure that the UA release of How to Succeed as a Gangster,
is just as beautiful.

What a great addition.
Enjoy.
Thanks again.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2010 01:41 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Brad, some titles only ever seem to show up in Std 8.

I think Ken let the box art sell their titles rather than the catalogs and marketing efforts that Castle and Columbia relied on.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 27, 2010 10:03 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you have to remember too that Ken, like other distributors, were somewhat limited and could not warrant a full-scale catalog along the lines of Castle, for instance - Their renderings were abstract enough to attract filmbuyers nonetheless, I'm partial to the Castle covers more as they replicate mini-posters - Castle also had alot of offerings from the vaults and added on through time - I have a colelction of sharp Ken films and boxes, and I admit that their quality was highly superior in many cases, rivaling Castle maybe - Have yet to see a Mountain Catalog, and those RKO releases - Cheers from Shorty

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2010 02:45 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What other Tarzans did they issue except TARZAN'S SAVAGE FURY,TARZAN AND THE SHE DEVIL and TARZAN'S HIDDEN JUNGLE ?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 27, 2010 04:01 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis,

Those are the three!

Back on topic.....I like this "deluxe" box for The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

-

Doug

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 27, 2010 07:22 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need SHE-DEVIL

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2010 08:39 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
While the Castle editing was always far superior to Ken's edit (hack) jobs, I always found Castle boxes a tad boring when compared to the all-out "in-yer-face" Ken boxes (particularly their horror digest boxes).

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 29, 2010 10:57 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even more!

-

-

-

-

Doug

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 29, 2010 02:11 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Show LONDON LANDMARKS, SAN JUAN, CITY OF CONTRAST and THE SURF RIDERS

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2010 12:17 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love these boxs covers what a riot check out Batman and Robins costumes look like bed cloths. You would think they could at least get a better costume designer in Hollywood?  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2010 11:24 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Serials were 'B' pictures - serialized. The budgets were quite inferior to the studios' 'A' pictures. I doubt Columbia could have afforded someone like an Edith Head to design the capes and cowls. Chances are they employed studio seamstresses to come up with costumes that were viable and fit a 'B' picture's budgetary constraints. Many serials were shot on existing sets that had not been deconstructed yet. Scenes that took place on the island of Lemuria in "Return Of Chandu" with Bela Lugosi were shot on the left-over "King Kong" set on the RKO lot. Many outdoor scenes in the "Buck Rodgers" and "Flash Gordon" serials were shot on still-standing western sets and locations on the Universal lots.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC