8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Great Box Art! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Great Box Art!
Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2010 08:32 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow you know a lot about serials but why did the seamtress at the low budget shooting just put somy wirer or something to hold up the ears of the Batman? Robin looks alright but if you just look at all the comics in those days Batman has pointed ears that are flat not horns that are rounded. Like the Dark Knight costume, Captain Marvel has a costume like in the comics and Superman in the Serials. How do they keep a top hat strait it has wires in the cloth.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 05, 2010 02:17 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this qualifies as "Great Box Art" but the cover has always made me smile over the last 30+ years.
 -
One more.
 -
Well... this cover of "Where Eagles Dare" pretty much tells you what this popular digest was all about.
 -

PS. Doug sorry about the change in the cover photo that I submitted earlier on in your topic and have changed it back. Not sure what happend but I do remember both Winbert and myself at one point in the past were changing each others photos by mistake, hope you dont get any of our cute baby photos instead [Eek!] let me know if you do. [Smile]

Graham.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2010 02:35 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, was NES a digest or the full feature? My daughters just LOVE this movie. "The game is a-foot" and the hunt is on.....

[ December 06, 2010, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Brad Kimball ]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 05, 2010 04:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad
To my knowledge it was only ever released as a Scope 600 footer by Derann, however it was well done and with a good sharp and steady picture "easy to focus" its worth getting. My print does have slight fade "but very acceptable" I have heard of better prints out there, the stereo sound track is also very good.

Graham.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2010 02:37 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

You are unlucky to have colour fade on NES. The feature film was released into theares in 1984 and I imagine the Derann 600 footer a little later.

Given low fade Kodak LPP film and the Agfa and Fuji equivalents came in in 1983, the print must have been on some older stock to have faded.

David

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 06, 2010 03:47 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David
Thats positive news, I had a close look to see if there was any ID on what the film stock is but cant find anything, although there might be some printing under the balance stripe as it just shows but not enough to make anything out,I will look around locally for another print.

Graham.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 09, 2010 11:35 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And then there's

-

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2010 12:07 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great boxes!

Love that "Plan 9 From Outer Space" box. But what is "ultra-sonic sound"? Optical? Magnetic? Very interesting.

James.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2010 08:08 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember being told that all these "Ultra", "Super" - Sonic sound terms were simply implying clear fidelity - nothing more - not even Stereo. Simply a marketing ploy to make you think there was something about the sound that was a cut above all others. Not so true. I remember a friend screened some Columbia titles that boasted these claims on the boxes and I sure couldn't hear the difference. They all sounded like any other mag track I've heard in the past. Columbia's "Tell Tale Heart" was one of them. A great one-reeler, but awfully hard to get in Super 8 Color and Sound. I seem to recall the print I saw was a Standard 8 sound version, but it seemed the same to me other than the frame was a wee smaller. I've always felt Blackhawk's mag tracks were very bassy and muddy. Many of my Stooges sound titles (particularly the 'Curly' titles) were all low on the treble end. Two exceptions are "Microphonies" and "We Want Our Mummy" which have nice clear tracks. All my 'Shemp' titles also have nice clear booming soundtracks.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 12, 2010 08:23 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boom... Boom... Boom....Boom....Boom...Boom...Boom....... [Smile]
 -
A slight exaggeration dont you think! good marketing though.

On a more serious note, "Techno film" produced this one from time life television. World War 2: G.I. Diary.
 -

[ December 13, 2010, 03:55 AM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 19, 2011 10:49 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Ken Films 20th Century Fox gallery:

-

-

-

-

I think a certain animated character has a remarkable resemblance to Mr. Hackman as drawn here.
 -  -

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 19, 2011 12:18 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is better than the Playboy Centerfold! [Embarrassed]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 02, 2011 09:19 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

This is better than "Playboy" Centerfold.

Sorry Pat I cant agree with that one [Big Grin]
 -
As an X mechanic this cover scares me every time I look at it, anyone ever owned one of those things. [Eek!]
 -

-
The digest that changed the face of film collecting.

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2011 09:09 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What The heck! a few more!

-

-

-

-

Cheers
Terry

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2011 10:56 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always appreciated the KEN cover art, but hated their UA covers (ie "Curse Of Dracula", "How To Succeed As A Gangster"). I've always felt the very early CASTLE covers and the UA covers had a very grade-school appearance to them.

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2011 02:24 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How times have changed...In High School I worked in my local K-Mart camera department and we received a letter from the central office instructing us to remove all copies of Ken Films' "Coffy" as it was not appropriate for a family-oriented business. Of course the department manager allowed me to purchase a copy at a 20 percent discount before she shipped the others back to Ken!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2011 02:25 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, are the four box covers you posted all Ken Films? I don't know the three obscure titles at all so very interesting.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 04, 2011 05:42 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will someone post the covers for LONDON LANDMARKS (the real one), SAN JNUAN, CITY OF CONTRASTS, HILLBILLY GOAT (Mountain), FISH FEATHERS (Mountain), obliged - Shorty

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2011 02:13 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I can verify (through catalogs) that "Nyoka," "Coffy," and "Voyage into Space" were all Ken titles. "Nyoka in the Caves of Death" was catalog #R2 (I assume the R is for Republic Pictures) and was available in 200' regular and super 8. (I couldn't verify a 50' reel). "Coffy" was catalog #297 and was available in super 8 only, 200' b/w silent, 200' color/sound, and 400' color/sound versions. And "Voyage" was catalog #291, and was available in super only, 200' b/w silent, 200' b/w sound, and 200' color/sound.

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2011 05:36 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's spot on information Carter.

Coffy manages to cram plenty of nudity and violence into about 8 minutes and I haven't even seen the 400' version!
Cheers
Terry

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2011 08:02 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my 400' Coffee from Joe Taffis, and the color is still good. Nice action-packed digest.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2011 11:01 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always thought Pam Grier was one beautiful woman. Even today she still has her looks.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2011 02:42 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks chaps. I take it 'Frankenstein's Daughter' was actually issued by an 8mm distributor called 'Entertainment Films Company' then. Anyone know anything about them?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2011 10:55 AM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just looking back over the box art on this page and noticed a couple of things; should ‘Iwo Jima’ be ‘eight square miles OF hell’? Otherwise it could be it could be a very damp film.
Probably more concerning is the unusual position being adopted by the otherwise attractive young lady at the bottom of the art panel on the Coffy box; is it possible for a spine to be double jointed?

(I had tried to upload an image to illustrate the Coffy detail but I get a message telling me I haven't logged in successfully - even though I managed to log in to edit and used the same password each time. Curious.)

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 05, 2011 01:31 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John D.,

Is your log in not working on the image upload page?

John C.,

Entertainment Films also released The Vampire Bat in 8mm.

Carter,

Great story about K-Mart! Nyoka and many of the other Republic titles (Before Ken Films took them over) were also available in 400' Standard 8mm versions.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC