8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo ST-180 Variable Speed Modification

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST-180 Variable Speed Modification
Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2010 10:03 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Today I completed variable speed modification on two Elmo SC-18 using Dual Gang 50k Pots, The variable speed is working great on both.

Does anyone here know if the same pot will work on the Elmo ST-180, if not a 50K pot, any idea which one will do the trick?

Thank you

Jon

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 14, 2010 10:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jon,

This is one of those multimeter times we were discussing a few weeks back.

If you measure the resistance between the wiper and each leg of the pot currently installed, it will give you a pretty decent idea of the value there now.

Since there can be parallel resistances on the board that will throw your measurement off, you might not get an exact number, but if you see numbers adding up to only a couple of hundred ohms for example, it's not going to be a 50K pot. Same goes for numbers in the hundreds of thousands of ohms and more.

In the tens of thousands....maybe so!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2010 11:17 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You always come to the rescue Steve, thank you.

I was thinking about taking that reading but I wasn't sure. Now I can do it with confidence.

Thanks again,

Jon

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2010 01:27 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon,

Here's a chunk of the Elmo ST600D schematic which I believe (forum please correct me if I'm wrong) is the same as the 180D.
Shows you the wiring and values for the speed control pots. May help (or not)
Rick
 -

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2010 02:26 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's for the early versions; there is another using an IC for later models. I have both circuits if they are required by anyone.
Martin.

[ March 16, 2010, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2010 12:33 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,

I would like to have a copy of those circuits and if you can sent them by email to jaddams55 at hotmail dot com, I would appreciated it very much.

Also, how can I tell which is an early or later model?

Thank you

Jon

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 18, 2010 02:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,

I have no schematics at all for my ST-800, and If I had the ST-180 schematic it would probably apply at least in part.

Thanks!

[ January 16, 2018, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2010 02:22 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Emails sent to both of you, gentlemen. I just hope I interpreted you email address correctly Steve.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2010 03:01 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Martin,

I received the schematics. Thank you for the super fast delivery.

Jon

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 18, 2010 03:19 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spot on, Martin!

Why just say something straight out when you can be cryptic?

(I'm a government employee, you know...)

Thanks!

--------------------

Torstein Bore
Junior

- posted January 16, 2018 07:17 AM      Profile for Torstein Bore   Email Torstein Bore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello you 8mm experts!
It’s an old thread this one, but maybe you are still there and willing to help me?

I’m trying to do a variable speed modification on a Elmo ST-600.
I thought I knew how to do it but found that the circuit of the speed regulation pcb does not match the schematics I’ve found.
Now that I found this thread I realize that the version of my MEC-16 pcb is a later one and it looks like some of you might have the correct schematics for this circuit.

Are any of you willing to share this diagram with me?

If you also have a suggestion to how I could do the modification it would be very much appreciated, but I guess I can sort out something if I have the circuit diagram.

Torstein

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 16, 2018 07:22 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Van Eck do a fairly cheap bolt on option for them.

https://shop.van-eck.net/PA-0006.html

Best Mark

Torstein Bore
Junior

- posted January 16, 2018 07:55 AM      Profile for Torstein Bore   Email Torstein Bore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark!

That could be a solution but I guess I have the components I need in my drawers if I just get hold of the circuit diagram.

Torstein

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC