8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Seeking Feedback on Surf Footage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seeking Feedback on Surf Footage
Greg Baumann
Junior

- posted April 24, 2010 01:26 PM      Profile for Greg Baumann   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Baumann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks ... I'm shooting a Super 8/HD video surf film using a Beaulieu 4008ZM. I'm a novice with the film camera and my initial efforts left much to be desired. I'd appreciate anyone taking time to critique some of the reels I've shot so far. Any suggestions on how to improve image quality would be awesome. Here's a link to a couple of the reels that cover body surfing and mat surfing. ... I made the clips using iMovie and posted to Vimeo, Blip, YT, etc.
http://www.spatoutinglory.com/entries/2010/4/21/surf-on-super-8-air-mats-and-body-whomps.html

--------------------
Greg Baumann
Nicaragua
http://www.spatoutinglory.com

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 25, 2010 06:11 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Greg,

It has been commented on the link you give, that your result is bluish.

You may have set the camera to daylight but I would suggest you use an external filter instead using the internal one.

However, although some commentators mention Filter 85 to be used, I would suggest you to use 85B instead, for 64T.

I have tried to use 85 but the bluish tone is still noticeable. I prefer with 85B which give a better result especially t skin tone.

It has been discussed here about 85 vs 85b and some screen shot also available in this forum. External 85B is only $5.

But since 100D is now on sale, of course, it is better to use it for daylight shooting, anyway [Wink]

regards

--------------------
Winbert

Greg Baumann
Junior

- posted April 25, 2010 06:30 PM      Profile for Greg Baumann   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Baumann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Winbert. I'll definitely try the external filter and the 100 film. Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm stoked.

--------------------
Greg Baumann
Nicaragua
http://www.spatoutinglory.com

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 25, 2010 07:22 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,

Although you have a good camera and also follow my instruction with 85B, but the final result will heavily depend on the lab.

Today, it is only few labs left in this world.

And I have a feeling that old labs gave much better result compared with today's. Dwayne in Kansas (USA) is the best one, but still I didn't get what my parents made in 1980s.

It can be seen from many Ebayers who sold someone footage from Kodachrome stock or Ektachrome which many of them show a very natural colors.

I used Kodachrome now (my last batch) and the result from Dwayne was not that top notch.

Here is a screen shot from the old footage, and super 8mm supposed to be like this:

Ebay Link

The film was taken by amateur, nothing pro, but you can see how beautiful is that.

Here is some pictures taken from the above link for future reference, once the Ebay link above expires after 3 months.

-

-

-

But I cannot longer get that result now.

regards

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC