8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Question please about Canon Auto Zoom 814 Electronic Super 8 camera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question please about Canon Auto Zoom 814 Electronic Super 8 camera
Paul Brandes
Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2010 11:52 PM      Profile for Paul Brandes   Email Paul Brandes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I am thinking of bidding on a Canon 814 Electronic on Ebay and wanted to ask if any member could advise me on this particular camera as far as quality , ease of use, and as a suitable choice for making short films. I would be grateful for any information.

Thanking You

Paul Brandes

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2010 11:41 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a good camera with a very crisp lens, but being not from the latest generation of cameras, it is very old, at least 30 years +: this particular line of cameras is known to suffer from a "temperamental" manual iris adjusting knob: because of wear and/or other reasons, theiris control tends not to work. It is fixable but quite expensive to do.

Otherwise it's a very good camera, with a 8x zoom lens and, if similar to her older sister (1014), it should also feature a very practical variable shutter opening facility, which you can use to shoot at several degrees of aperture.

--------------------
Maurizio

Paul Brandes
Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2010 04:10 PM      Profile for Paul Brandes   Email Paul Brandes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurizio

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Paul

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2010 02:51 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of the later versions of this camera (the electronic version) and it's useless. Too much trickery went into it and of course that means there is more to go wrong.

My original 814 without all the gadgetry is still perfect and produces some of the best Super 8 imagery possible. I'd hold on for one of those.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Brandes
Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2010 05:44 AM      Profile for Paul Brandes   Email Paul Brandes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John,

When you say the electronic version is useless, in what way specifically do you mean? Just the potential for trouble with the electronics ? I have seen the specs on it and it seems to be a reasonable camera. I would be grateful for a reply.

Regards

Paul

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2010 10:28 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently acquired the 514XL-S and find it superb, even with the 64T (though it very slightly under-exposes this film). I cannot fault it. I have had the 814, but this wasn't as good as the 514 or the 1015.

Paul Brandes
Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2010 03:10 PM      Profile for Paul Brandes   Email Paul Brandes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Simon

Regards

Paul

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2010 03:33 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original 814 is excellent but of course things moved quickly back in the 70's and all manner of gadgetry was added for later versions. The power zoom on my later electronic 814 is shot and I managed to shoot a complete 50ft roll that lasted about 150ft before it finally got to the end! Somehow the sprockets were not being engaged in the cam and it was hit and miss if what I was filming actually got filmed. The shots I did get were unsteady.

But what I will say for the later 814 is it has a very good slow motion facility. Strangely it doesn't have a 24fps option like the earlier, superior model.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Brandes
Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2010 03:48 AM      Profile for Paul Brandes   Email Paul Brandes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again John for the detailed information. I have seen several 814's on ebay including the electronic version and the asking price for the ones in really good shape is around $200 USD or so. I think perhaps I'll end up settling for a mechanical version of one of the Canon's as I feel they produced a quality product.

Regards

Paul

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2010 03:11 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look for the one in the black and aluminium case with 24fps. An almost perfect Super 8 camera.

--------------------

Paul Brandes
Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2010 09:19 PM      Profile for Paul Brandes   Email Paul Brandes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I have seen the type you mentioned on a few sites but they are usually the electronic version.

Regards

Paul

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2010 11:10 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I have owned many Canon Super 8 cameras including 3 series, 5 series and 814, 814 Electronic, 814 XLS. The 8 series are all good cameras.

My favourite is the 814 XLS that they produced up until they got out of Super 8. It is a brilliant camera and was used professionally along with its 1014XLS brother (the slightly better zoom lens being the main difference). Find a good one and you will love it. The other 8 series Canons are good too, but offer fewer features.

My advice would be to buy a known working camera from somebody who will accept a return if it does not function correctly. I offered a 100% money back return when I sold cameras on ebay and of the dozens I sold I never had a return.

If you search on ebay in the buying guides section for "How to buy a super 8 movie camera", you will see the guide written by me that may be helpful.

David

Paul Brandes
Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2010 01:46 AM      Profile for Paul Brandes   Email Paul Brandes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,

Many thanks. I have read more about the 814 series and recently spoke to an experienced film maker who had used and spoke highly of the 814 electronic. The ones currently on ebay are in my opinion a little pricey and have had no bidders at the asking price.

Regards

Paul

Joel Whybrow
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2010 09:48 AM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one of these and my advice would be to make sure you meter externally, mine was very innacurate and I hear that's common on these. External meters are always better anyway so no real loss.

Other than that a nice little camera.

Paul Brandes
Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2010 01:13 AM      Profile for Paul Brandes   Email Paul Brandes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joel

Many thanks

Regards

Paul

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2010 02:51 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine has not had that problem.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC