8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A GS1200 was sold for $242 on EBay...and I got it!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A GS1200 was sold for $242 on EBay...and I got it!
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 16, 2010 08:15 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love a fairy tales, and sometime I want to be in that tales. However dreaming is always a dream unless it comes actually in front of you. And that what happened to me last January.

You may have read my first GS1200 which I bought in Indonesia for an incredible price, however, due to its poor cosmetic condition I called it The Ugliest GS1200 in the world (that is the link to the previous story)

This ugly projector was bought for quite cheap, almost similar to the price of full tank when you fill gasoline to your car. [Wink] However, although I have had one GS1200, I am still not satisfied since it is so ugly and need some work to do. And moreover, it is nice to have 2 GS1200 sitting side by side like what professional projectionists do!.

Therefore the searching is continue and I still use my only golden rule, i.e. it has to be cheap because above $400 will be really my out of range.

But you know that most GS1200 will be around $800 up now. So, am I dreaming....?? Not really, if you are so persistence to keep your eyes opens on listings.

Truly EBay is the bay of hundreds thousands listing that you may have missed one or two listings that you have been looking for so far. And the lucky thing does not stop for me when one GS-1200 listing came in January. It had $9.99 starting bid which make every heart to beat so loudly.

Of course, everybody knows that starting bid is only a starting bid that can increase quickly depends on how many bidders/watchers are interested with the item. And that worried me too, but there was something that made me smiling....

-
 -

What is that? Please observe carefully the below screen snapshot!

Look at to the screen shot carefully, if the above picture is too small, you can see that in this link: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e209/winberthutahaean/elmogs.jpg

So what do you think make the above listing so special for me?.....

No one can guess?... Going one, going twice....

Yes that is right....the projector was listed under:

Business & Industrial > Office > Presentation, A/V & Projectors > Overhead Projector

So it was mis-category... the seller thought they have an overhead projector (ps: the seller is a liquidation company who is regularly selling office equipments that have been written off) Of course only few people notice this listing and it can be seen from only few ebayers bid on it (sorry guys, I still close how much I paid for it [Razz]

What is the negative side from this projector was that as you can see from the picture it does not have the front cover. And it has been mentioned in the description. But the good side from the picture was the seller put the projector on condition so I could see that the lamp was working and the description also said the projector was running condition.

-

What other thing that make me smile was the seller description says:

-

If you cannot read the above description, it says:

Item:ELMO GS-1200 Used Projector Lamp Works Vintage

"Up for bidding is a older and used Elmo projector. The model number for this equipment is GS-1200. It appears that the lamp works and the light shown in the picture is when the projector is powered on. This unit maybe missing parts or pieces what is shown in the picture is what you get. I know that it is missing a reel holder on the left side. If you have any further questions simply send me a message and I will respond in a timely manner".

The seller says "I know that it is missing a reel holder on the left side" . So basically he didn’t know that the left reel holder was in place just it was not erected as you can see on the above picture.

I took it account that many watchers would not be interested with a projector with "missing" parts like that. But I have noticed that everything was fine only the front cover was gone.

So, day to day I was watching over it and hope the price didn't hike so fast, and indeed that what happened, until the end of the day, it was still around $100sh. I was aware that some sniper might be waiting at the end of the listing and so did I.

While I was waiting on this projector, another watcher drop a question which luckily the seller put the question seen to public. The question is as follow:

• Q: Hi, Could you please tell me what is the lens in this projector? If you are not familiar with these things it is written on the front of the lens. Many thanks
  • A: Elmo Zoom Lens Super, F:1.1 12.5~25mm
So, I knew at least I would get this expensive lens. market price will say around $75-$150 depend on the condition. So I have kept in my mind that at least I will get a benefit from the lens. Therefore I decided to make my own bid which I dropped in very last minutes (10 second before it ended).
And the price ended to:
 -
yes....it is $242.87 [Cool]

And what shock me more that my highest bid was 242.97 ( I never bid in a round amount). So it means if the previous bidder put $243, I would have loose it. While he/she placed his bid $242.82 just a few cents before me. Almost...and almost....

With a 1.1 lens attached to the projector, I guess I got a very good deal with this. At least minus the lens, the projector is about $150sh I paid for.

The down side is only the front cover...

I love this "fairy tales" :-)

But the story is to be continued....

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 16, 2010 10:28 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Winbert!

Soon you'll be screening your print of Viva Las Vegas on your second GS. After using a test film to check for scratches, of course.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 16, 2010 03:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, Winbert!

The very first time I bought something on E-bay I was trolling for movie cameras. I liked the Minolta XL401/601 based on one I had until a friend dropped in in a river. (I still have the friend but the camera was very much dead after that!)

I went into E-bay and there was an XL401 that "didn't run" for a $9.99 "buy it now". I looked at the pictures and saw the controls were set for single frame mode (!!). As fast as I could I registered into e-bay and I bought that camera. I got it home, set the controls for continuous run and it came to life.

I've been using it nine years now: probably one of the greatest bargains of my entire life! I've used it in the Russian Far East, Germany, Austria and on both US Coasts.

Knowledge IS power!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 16, 2010 07:29 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good buy - bizarre that the seller didn't notice the take up arm that's identical to the feed arm! There must be a few GSs around that are only kept for spares, so you may well get a front cover without too much difficulty. It may be worth mentioning it in the wants here.

[ May 17, 2010, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2010 04:45 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is the luckiest one, so?
Well do, Winbert! [Wink]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 25, 2010 07:11 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,

I am a happy person now, because this afternoon I just received a parcel coming from one of this forum member, Mike Tynus.

The parcel contans as follow:

-

what is that?

is that an open box...?

is that buble wrap....?

is that my messy working desk?

No friends...no.... IS THAT:

-

Yes, a GS1200 front cover..... the one is missing from the above purchase!!

How come?

Upon reading my story above, Mike kindly contacted me and offering me the missing part for FREE!!

Again, for free...!!

I almost completely gave up to get the front cover, since it was not normal that a GS1200 would come in pieces like that.

Now, my GS1200 will become competely normal now.

I am really happy with this, and Mike's help is a second help for my problem.

It is a wonderful world to have friends that helping each other.

So, through this forum, I would like to thank Mike Tynus for your kindness.

regards,

[ May 26, 2010, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC