8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Outdoor Presentation: A First Experiment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Outdoor Presentation: A First Experiment
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 29, 2010 08:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So in a couple of weeks Toy Story 3 is coming out. What better way to celebrate than have a couple of friends over and see Toy Story the Original out on the patio, but I've never shown films outside before...what would it be like? It was time for a test run: just one projector and a tripod screen

First of all, setting up a movie projector without walls and ceiling is just a little odd; it just feels out of place. I was concerned about the acoustics, but they worked out just fine. The sound bounced nicely off the back wall of the house and was good everywhere on the patio. I started projecting maybe 20 minutes before it got really dark, the image brightness was good even with a 100W bulb. If I did it for real I'd use my ST-1200 for the opening reel and run the bulb at full brightness

-so far, so good!

Problems:

Just around real sunset a swarm of mosquitoes joined the show. Based on this episode:

The Drive-In Experience

-I guess I should have suspected no less.

Oh...and it started to rain. Just a gentle spritz now and then to start, but then the patio brick started to darken and I realized it was time to man the boats. I stopped the machine, grabbed it and the films and dove inside. The screen was on the second trip. (I rescued it from my neighbor's garbage; it's pretty low on the food chain next to a good projector and two films!)

So this is a promising idea, but I guess it needs some more thought.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Barrie Didham
Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2010 01:28 AM      Profile for Barrie Didham   Email Barrie Didham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have shown many features this way,to me it much more fun as there is space for everyone,and the kids that show up that you have never seen before are just amazed.

I have to run and hide behind the projector to avoid the hundreds of question they have up thier sleeves.

I too had a problem at one time with moths and drizzle,but my fix was an easyone.

I got a large cardboard box from a PC store,i cut out the whole side so i could get to the controls and load up the spools,i then had a roll of clear plastic with vent holes taped to the top so i could drop it down if needed,but never did.
I made a second cut about the size of the air intake grill on the other side and taped some lace from the shed window over it to stop rain or bugs being sucked in,then i cut one for the lens and placed some clear plastic over it,later on i found glass worked better,I then taped clingfilm(gladwrap)to the top of the box to water proof it,I then used afew bricks and even a small stone to hold the flapps of the box down over the projector so it couldnt be blown off.

Since then i have now made one from thin plywood and take the projector out every summer.

Important note:Never use your girlfriends hair dryer to dry off any water that may fall on the projector if you get caught in a few seconds of drizzle,i have never lived that one down since,and even though we are no longer together,when ever i see her and her friends she always tells them to hide thier hairdryers and anything else thats related to makeup,like thier eyeliner pencils,they make great temp markers for editing [Smile]

--------------------
Between Heaven and Hell there will always be Super8

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2010 07:10 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice...well at least that stuff is useful for something! [Smile]

Bill

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC