8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Snapped film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Snapped film
Stephen Iddon
Junior

- posted June 09, 2010 07:43 AM      Profile for Stephen Iddon   Email Stephen Iddon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Need help please, how do I repair a film that snapped (Super 8mm). I assume I need a splicer or am I incorrect, do I need joining tape. Is there such a thing

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 09, 2010 08:27 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Stephen,

Yes, you will need a splicer, and you will need the type of joining material that splicer was designed to use. Cement splicers use film cement. Tape splicers use the specific brand of tape they were designed for.

Cement splicing only works on acetate based film, tape splices work on all film types. I prefer to use cement splices, but since I can't always I have a tape splicer too.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 09, 2010 12:19 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen
I assume you live in the UK so here's some info of splicers available from Fred Marriott.
http://www.marriottworld.com/stock/cineditstock.htm#splicers
You need a Super 8 tape splicer for which tapes are still available, the best one is the CIR which uses a roll of tape but one could be priced around £75 (s/h), but those using precut tape splices are much cheaper.
I suggest that you telephone Fred as there can be problems in sending emails.

--------------------
Maurice

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2010 06:03 PM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi There is always a good selection of splicers on Ebay. MIKE

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2010 06:14 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would hire a shrink... but depends on how far off the deep end the film went after it snapped. [Big Grin]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 10, 2010 02:53 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael
I would not recommend that a purchase is made on eBay for a tape splicer unless the purchaser knows exactly what he wants to acquire.
There are many splicers on offer for which tapes may not now be available, the seller probably doesn't know and just wants to sell his item.
In this particular case I thoroughly suggest that Stephen actually speaks to a dealer, and then he can obtain exactly what he needs.

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2010 03:53 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,
I have a Hama Cinepress S8-11-Sound comfort Splicer in "as new" (possibly slightly used?, but does not appear so). Box scuffed and instructions "tatty edged". Complete with 2 boxes of 50 tapes (don't know how good the adhesive is, but these are freely available still in UK).

Also a used basic version, has been used, but can't find instruction leaflet at the moment). With 1 box of tapes.

email me if interested (anyone?). blagdonian(at)btinternet(dot)com

Martin

[ June 10, 2010, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 10, 2010 08:45 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen may find this of interest:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200480579521&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Barrie Didham
Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2010 09:52 AM      Profile for Barrie Didham   Email Barrie Didham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the snap is a clean rip across the film you may want to tape it,that way you dont loose any frames.
If its long and rough you will have to cut the frames out and splice it together.
It better to try and save the film intact then to cut sections out,it near impossible to get a clean cement repair if trying to join the rip,thats why id go with tape,if you dont get it right the first time,lest you can undo it and try again...goodluck.

--------------------
Between Heaven and Hell there will always be Super8

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC