8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Static movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Static movie
Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2010 09:52 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody,what can i do with a static movie,i have one that if i screen it i must help the reel or my projector will damage the movie.
I use Filmguard but that is not enough to help,is there another kind of stuff that helps to make my movies not static? [Frown]

Thanks in everyway [Razz]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2010 04:57 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Jeroen, What do you mean by "static". Do you mean that the film is sticking to itself on the reel as its projected?. or is it making some kind of noise?

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Evan Hayenga
Junior

- posted June 21, 2010 06:47 PM      Profile for Evan Hayenga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi gentlemen,
My name is Evan Hayenga and I'm new to this forum of discussions. It sounds to me as though your film is "static" or "stationary" momentarily for a brief moment or two. That is why you have to help it through the film gate of the projector. Many of the low cost projectors have a sprocket or pull down claw that tends to show no mercy on your super 8mm film. If you damage one perforation it will stop the film from going through the gate. The easiest way to solve this problem is to purchase a film projector that does not use sprockets or pull down claws and levers. Generally, these are high cost and are made by either Elmo or Eumig.

--------------------
Evan~

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 21, 2010 09:22 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evan,

Welcome to the Forum!

I believe Jeroen is referring to a static electricity problem his print has developed. The Polyester base of the film has become charged so that it will not only become a dust magnet but the film layers can stick together (as Joe stated) and will jam in the projector.

Jeroen,

Both the Kelmar cleaner and Roy Neils' Film-O-Clean use Film-Tech cleaning pads that have an anti-static coating. This plus FilmGuard normally prevents any static charge. I've seen products like the Edwal anti-static film cleaner but I've never used them.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Evan Hayenga
Junior

- posted June 21, 2010 09:49 PM      Profile for Evan Hayenga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Doug,
Thank you for making that clear to me. I've never actually heard of a problem with "static" electricity. Unless the projector is causing the film to be affected by something wrong with it. I simply took the 2nd definition of static which is inactive and/or stationary and applied my thinking by using that principle. Again, Thanks for clearing that up.
I posted a new topic about double system sync sound earlier. I would love to hear your thoughts and comments about that!
Take Care. Stay Creative.
Peace!

--------------------
Evan~

Barrie Didham
Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2010 12:07 AM      Profile for Barrie Didham   Email Barrie Didham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I,ve had this problem in the past,i had one reel that just didnt want to let go of the film and tryed to collect everything it could find.

One night while showing the film,the chap next door rang and said his news paper on his coffee table kept trying to slide towards my house and wanted to know if i had any info on why this was happening,he said he tryed to look out to my window to see what was going on,but it was covered with dust on the outside from the lawns and street and he couldnt see a thing,it wasnt till i was done showing the film that his paper settled down and a pile of dust,two cars ands one child dropped from the window into the flower bed below.

I found that the reel was the biggest problem,like a vinyl record it was highly charged,i removed the film to a new reel and washed then soaked the old reel in fresh water and let it drip dry for a days,that almost solved the problem,but what really got rid of it was making and earthing plate from some steel and connecting a wall socket plug to it with just the earth lead,i pluged it in and placed the film and reel on it and left it over night,the charge was gone and so was the static.

--------------------
Between Heaven and Hell there will always be Super8

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2010 03:50 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for the good advive i will try to do that.

Thanks thanks thanks [Big Grin]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC