8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Side by side comparison of 2 prints, same title

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Side by side comparison of 2 prints, same title
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 04, 2010 10:20 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, you already followed my story about the last purchase of "Viva Las Vegas" that has disappointed me so much.

I made a side by side comparison of the two prints at the same scene and formatted in equal size. One is from Dan's print (LPP) on the left and one the right hand is my print (Kodak SP).

-

-

-

-

I wish I had Dan's print.... [Razz]

Anyone know how many Viva Vegas was printed on that LPP quality?

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Barrie Didham
Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2010 02:46 AM      Profile for Barrie Didham   Email Barrie Didham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry i dont have an answer for the question myself but....

After looking at them the way you have them side by side,i wonder since there are still some blues in your print and that its not totaly faded,would a very light colored blue filter help correct the fading alittle or are filters a waist of time?

--------------------
Between Heaven and Hell there will always be Super8

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 05, 2010 06:18 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Barrie, I think blue filter will give some correction to a such print, especially if that is brownish Kodak SP.

Doug has once written a post here regarding the very topic with a side by side comparison pictures between with and without blue filter, and I can see the different.

But can you or Doug (or someone else) give me what filter number is suit for this situation?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 05, 2010 06:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Sorry about your print troubles, but your screenshots are excellent!

How do you capture them?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2010 09:22 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

It appears that your print has more image area than Dan's print.
Check out the framing in the second to last images that has Elvis
speaking with someone and their back is toward the camera.
The same holds true with the other shots - Elvis and Ann Margaret under the hood, and where he is looking from under the car.
Also the title cards are framed differently.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 05, 2010 10:43 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont even like that film but when I see Dan's screenshots...I want Dan's print too!
[Smile]

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 05, 2010 11:38 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee! After seeing these screen shots again, I wish I hadn't sold it! [Big Grin]

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2010 08:40 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for everyone's information, what is LPP? MIKE

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 06, 2010 08:53 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lowfade Positive Print.

Eastman stock from around '82 on.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 06, 2010 11:40 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Winbert,

Sorry about your print troubles, but your screenshots are excellent!

How do you capture them?

Steve the one on the left is Dan's, he took it. Mine is on the right (a little blurry) taken with mobile phone camera.

quote:

It appears that your print has more image area than Dan's print.
Check out the framing in the second to last images that has Elvis
speaking with someone and their back is toward the camera.
The same holds true with the other shots - Elvis and Ann Margaret under the hood, and where he is looking from under the car.
Also the title cards are framed differently.

Michale, no they are the same. It is just the matter of how close/far I took it from the screen and how I crop it on photoshop. But if you look at the image closely, they have exactly the same ratio.

Dan...... your print is excellent...is it in America land or has flown to Europe?

Lastly, since there was another poster doubted it was printed by Ken Films (knowing this company has always printed a little red or pale), can you clarify here that this three parter is from Ken or different source.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 06, 2010 03:02 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I think it was a Ken Films print.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 06, 2010 04:48 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dan,

I think so, this is from Ken. Since mine is from UFA and UFA fully imported from Ken for their last release (same edit, only different dub and case).

My print is (unfortuntalely) on Kodak SP. I wish I can get another print but I need a confirmation from German members here if they have seen another print on LPP.... otherwise it will be all on Kodak SP and look just the same as above.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2010 09:50 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert great comparison, I feel for you. This demonstrates how much is really lost in a faded print. It has a completely different look and feel.

I too have some faded prints, but only of favourite titles that I am looking to replace someday. I will also keep originals that I bought new even though faded.

Dans print really is nice. I like to see quality prints bring good prices, but too much is paid for faded prints in my opinion as many sellers don't describe or picture them in enough detail. I often look at Dan's ebay auctions and you can clearly see the quality with his ads; you know what you are buying.

David

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 07, 2010 05:26 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea how many LPP or other low fade (as some are likely to be Agfa) prints exist, but it's likelt to be considerably more than with other comparable releases from the same period, as Derann have offered it in their catalogues right up to the most recent one. If people didn't order it, they would presumably havw stopped offering it years ago.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC