8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Regular 8mm sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Regular 8mm sound
Robert Neia
Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2010 10:50 PM      Profile for Robert Neia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I had a question about standard 8mm sound film. Can it be played on a dual 8 sound projector? Or can the projector only play super 8 sound and not normal 8 sound? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2010 11:34 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
depends on the projector.... if it is as you say a dual 8 sound then yes it should be able to play it...Quite often the dual 8 sound projectors are Eumig and of course you need to make sure you have all the proper changeover parts in place.....Do you have more info about the projector? OH and a word of caution... on some forums (not this one) stating something like "normal" 8 which is not really a term used (generally it is Regular 8 or more properly standard 8)will bring out the vultures to snidely point out the mistake..but if you have the make and model of projector and we can make sure to answer your question accurately

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Robert Neia
Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2010 01:44 AM      Profile for Robert Neia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Friend of mine has a Sankyo 500 Sound Projector that he is wanting to give to me and he told me that it is a dual 8 projector. Does this model projector play 8mm sound film?

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2010 02:12 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

the problem with some dual8-sound-projectors is that their sound-head is 18 frames before the projected frame. This is the standard for Super8. However the Reg8-standard says "56 frames before...". Therefore the Reg8-sound will seem asynchronous to the images.
(There are some dual8-sound-projectors by Heurtier where the sound-head is located 56 frames before... On these devices the Reg8-sound is fine. However the Super8-sound is asynchronous.)

Another problem could be that the Reg8-films have to be projected at 16fps, while the Dual8-projectors only know the Super8-speeds 18 and 24 fps.

Jörg

Raymond Glaser
Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2010 03:44 AM      Profile for Raymond Glaser   Email Raymond Glaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sankyo 500 is a fantastic projector, it is very gentle on film and is quite reliable - unfortunately it is strictly a SUPER 8 projector. Sankyo labeled them as "SUPER 8 - SINGLE 8" (Single 8 is NOT the same as "Standard 8" or "Regular 8" - it is another term used for Super 8) If you can get one for free, snap it up and you won't have any regrets when screening your Super 8 films

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2010 07:23 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Raymond has hit it perfectly. That single 8 nomenclature confuses a lot of folks new to the hobby. Single 8 was actually super 8 , but thinner film used in certain cameras.
Good actual dual 8 sound models are the Eumig 810D models...and the Eumig 824's. Just make sure again that they have all the parts needed to change from one format to another. Sprocket wheels , gate and pressure plates....and you may need an adapter for the spindles since super 8 reels feature larger holes than standard 8 did. I use 810D's only for standard 8 ...and Elmo's for super 8, so there's no fiddling around when you want to switch between formats.

Robert Neia
Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2010 01:11 AM      Profile for Robert Neia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary,

So the Eumig 824 can play 8mm sound? Or is the sound head positioned in such a way that it only plays super 8 sound in syncronization with the film? Thanks.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2010 10:52 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 800 series (810,824 etc) Will play BOTH They have two heads immediately opposite each other on the two edges of the film.
One head plays Super 8, the other Regular 8. They CANNOT be played at the same time; a manual switch selects them.
The difference in "picture to sound" spacing is automatically selected by the picture gate fitted: it decides for the operator which route the film takes trough the threading "chute" before reaching the sound head. They are great machines, particularly the 824 HQS LUX, which has improved sound and illumination.
Martin.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 06, 2010 05:51 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert - I'd certainly recommend the 824 as I owned 4 of the earlier dual-guage Eumigs and I don't think any quite compared to the 824.

One dual-guage projector to avoid if you have Std 8 sound films is the Bauer T183, which I believe was the last sound projector of this type in production, as it's in a 1983 guide I have. This has the same sound separation for both guages, so Std 8 package movies would be out of sync.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2010 07:56 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really remarkable how the machine "knows" where to route the two films....so that the threading sets up the proper picture /sound separation. 56 frames for standard...18 for super. and yes..the 824 is a pretty nice little machine.There's a nice practically brand new one on ebay right now.

Robert Neia
Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2010 05:07 PM      Profile for Robert Neia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these projectors easy to come by? And how much do they usually sell for?

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2010 08:00 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.......I think I need to add to the above info the (German made?) dual-8 Exacta machines;all I know about them though is that they offered an impressive 240m/800ft spool capacity which-to my knowledge at least-is the largest spool in any Std-8 machine. Quality-wise though I don't know-never had one & can't say;but I doubt they were better than the Eumig 824s......

--------------------
Yannis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC