8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Image stabilization

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Image stabilization
Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason
Junior

- posted August 19, 2010 09:29 AM      Profile for Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason   Author's Homepage   Email Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.
I'm using Final Cut Pro to edit some 8mm films that I have transferred. Can you recommend any effects to automatically stabilize the image? And possibly to auto color correct it.

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2010 10:23 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say "stabilize" do you mean you have "flicker" that you would like to eliminate? As far a the capabilities of that software, have you checked any forums that may be specifically for users of the program? That's where you are likely to get the best advice regarding that particular program.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 19, 2010 10:49 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eysteinn,

If you mean "to stabilize" is to make picture not shaking (due to the hand shake during camera shooting), I found in the Vimeo someone invented that kind of software.

With his effort he can transfer 8mm result with quality picture which is very stable, similar to the result people using camera + Jimmy Jib (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Jib)

Just make sure what are you looking and I will try to find on vimeo after your confirmation,.

--------------------
Winbert

Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason
Junior

- posted August 20, 2010 05:42 AM      Profile for Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason   Author's Homepage   Email Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any flicker problems. I use a very high tech machine that has no flicker.

But the footage itself shakes a lot do to the camera man filmed it freehand, as Barry Fritz described it. So if you can find the Vimeo video about it, that would be great.

EDIT: Do you mean this guy http://vimeo.com/5044466

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2010 08:15 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What resolution is your machine?

The ideal would be that you capture at a higher resolution than your final output will be, as image stabilization will eat up some of those precious pixels...

...so if you have captured at your final output resolution you're going to have to upscale it back again, which may result in undesirable artefacts.

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason
Junior

- posted August 20, 2010 09:35 AM      Profile for Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason   Author's Homepage   Email Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Mainstream E Telecine Model from Tobin Cinema Systems. It has s-video output. I use a Sony camera to convert it to FireWire and into my Mac.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2010 11:00 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

there are several free "deshake"-tools for the PC (e.g. as free plug-ins for the free software VirtualDub and AVISynth)... but for the MAC?! But as you're using the "Pro"-version of Final Cut: Have you tried the "smooth cam filter" that comes with your software?

Jörg

Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason
Junior

- posted August 20, 2010 11:45 AM      Profile for Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason   Author's Homepage   Email Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately that's only available in FCP6. I have 5 [Frown]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 20, 2010 12:22 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eysteinn,

quote:
EDIT: Do you mean this guy http://vimeo.com/5044466
yes exactly that what I meant.

cheers,

winbert (not Barry [Wink] )

--------------------
Winbert

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2010 04:14 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unfortunately that's only available in FCP6. I have 5
The web says:
"The plug-in is under Video Filters > Video, and called Smooth Cam (FCP 6) or Image Stabilizer (FCP 5)."

Jörg

Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason
Junior

- posted August 24, 2010 12:27 PM      Profile for Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason   Author's Homepage   Email Eysteinn Gudni Gudnason   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks ye'all. I'm doing a test in FCP5 right now. I also sent the guy from vimeo an email and he sent me a pdf file of how to get the most out of film transfers.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 24, 2010 01:36 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eysteinn,

when you succeed in doing the transfer would you kindly explain here how does it work. The vimeo guy has done an excelent transfer as well as stabilizing the pictures.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Vern Dias
Junior

- posted August 29, 2010 06:34 AM      Profile for Vern Dias   Email Vern Dias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The deshaker plugin for VirtualDub is my favorite. Search for Deshaker on the internet. However, the learning curve is steep and it's a two step process.

Vern

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC