8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » derann

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: derann
Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2010 05:12 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knows anyone what happen to derann negatives? i start thinking to convince my boss to buy all and keep conserved and restored all of them and maybe in a future release some new prints for us,the film collectors,its a real pity that titles like "mask of the red dead" never see the ligth again...i still think derann must be put more interest to keep super 8 prints alive,if our loving Derek still with us today i know that he will figth like "el cid" to keep printing super 8.God bless his soul.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 26, 2010 06:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jose,

I'm not entirely sure Derann is finished using their negatives yet.

Let's see what happens in the coming weeks and months.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 26, 2010 06:50 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose, since (if I am not mistaken) you are working in archive industry.... do we need to store negative in fridge or can be in normal room temperature?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2010 10:25 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org/shtml_sub/dl_prescalc.asp

Yes, negatives need to be stored in the same way.

Nick Field
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2010 01:11 AM      Profile for Nick Field   Email Nick Field   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are Derann still producing s8 features?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 27, 2010 07:54 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann doesn't have an external lab to do their printing at the moment, so whatever prints they have to sell are remaining stock from the old lab.

There has been talk that they are talking to other labs to take over, but they aren't ready to make an announcement one way or the other.

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 27, 2010 08:59 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A major difficulty is the lack of labs - it seems dubious whether there are any left that can handle 'bulk' printing of Super 8 other than the German lab that CHC uses. If any one can find one, I expect Derann would love to know! The German lab's use of acetate was problematic for Derann as a lot of their releases, if printed on acetate, would not fit on the reels. The lab are switching to polyester, which might help, but it's a complex situation and there are other issues that need to be addressed.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 27, 2010 11:01 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to that, what happened with the Super/Std 8mm negs from Ken, Castle, Columbia, Griggs, Blackhawk and the such? - Shorty - I know some of the answers but would like to hear more

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 28, 2010 02:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if these negs go into archival storage, the best we can hope for is 20 years from now they will come out as "The Derann Collection" on whatever video format is the 16th generation replacement for Blu-Ray. (Special Feature: Real projector sounds on SAP!)

No thanks!

Either they get back on film soon, or probably never. The lab situation isn't going to get better with time, especially with all this material sitting on the sidelines.

--------------------

Douglas W. Warren
Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2010 02:47 PM      Profile for Douglas W. Warren   Email Douglas W. Warren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty,you mention Ken Films,Castle,Columbia,etc.regarding the negatives of their digests.I've always assumed that with little demand once video took hold in the 1980's,the negatives were possibly sold for scrap content.Just my two cents and I hope my assumptions are wrong. [Frown]

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2010 08:13 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if they own just the super 8mm rights or can they produce 16mm prints if they make a 16mm track?

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 29, 2010 07:54 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea if any of Derann's contracts would have specified Super 8 only, but they have offered quite a few of their releases on 16mm - I must have at least 5. Their releases have all been individual trailers or shorts lasting up to about 10 mins.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2010 11:21 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every once in a while I see negs for sale on Ebay. The neg for Ken's "Frankenstein Conquers The World" and some other horror titles were sold a while back. I know they didn't get much money for them though. After all, they're negs and not positive prints that can be projected so I would think negs are just a collector's curio and not something from which prints could be realized by just anyone. Why would anyone even attempt such an investment when you can simply buy a copy that someone just doesn't want anymore? Lord knows we see 8mm titles by the droves on Ebay every day.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC