8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Plastic spindle for a Beaulieu 708EL take-up reel anyone? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Plastic spindle for a Beaulieu 708EL take-up reel anyone?
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 10, 2014 05:08 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It will do Maurice, I am already working on several different design concepts. I think there will end up being two different designs. One will entail sending me the old ones to fit the adapter front steel improved ones to. (this is because the plastic old spindles will need to be modified prior to fitting the new steel fronts). From discussion with engineering works these will work out expensive but very professional.

The other design is far simpler and will just entail removing the current centre screw which holds the plastic spindles onto their steel shafts, then fitting a new steel adaptor from where the screw fitted. Then you will have a knurled locking collar to secure the reels onto the existing plastic hubs.

This will mean I can simply send the parts out to anyone who wants them and it becomes a really easy job to fit these yourselves with a photographed set of fitting instructions including a fitting/ removal tool enclosed for the centre adaptor.

Also the plastic spindles will still be able to accept any 1200ft reel including the Taylor / Grasso ones that currently do not fit properly by removing all of the plastic retaining clips and then just use the steel knurled collar that I will supply to do all of the reel securing to the existing plastic hubs if you so wish.

These will work out far simpler to manufacture than the first ones described but will still be simple to use and relatively inexpensive to manufacture compared to the first design concept I have spoken about.

[ September 11, 2014, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 10, 2014 10:16 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some very interesting ideas, Andrew. I look forward to reading more when your plans have advanced.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 10, 2014 06:23 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The simple solution type should be ready in a month, latest hopefully, fingers crossed. I am hoping my old engineering training centre (which I was surprised is still going), will manufacture these by their current crop of second year company sponsored apprentices.

These are a very easy project for someone who has been turning for over a year so the standard of workmanship I expect will be excellent hopefully. The workshop has now been in existence for 48 years and I served there for my first year off site basic training in 1982/83. Back then you studied all aspects of Turning, Milling, Welding,Brazing,Soldering, Fitting, Sheet Metal Work & Electrical Engineering for one year. You then went on to specialize in whatever your company wanted from you before then returning to "The Big House" ready for action! Ha ha.

CNC Machines were just about present back then albeit that they were in their infancy including the old punch tape type just like the Eumig factory used in that same era!

[ September 12, 2014, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 21, 2014 05:17 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Beaulieu 708 EL is now back with its new spindles and also has been lubricated. My comments are:
1) The new spindles are quite tight, it needs very careful alignment before gently pushing on the Beaulieu 2200' spools. I consider that Beaulieu could have allowed less on the o/d.
2) Not much room to enter film into the auto-thread slot with a large feed spool in position.
The old spindles are now awaiting Andrew's manufacturing endeavours!

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 21, 2014 05:26 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
coming soon Maurice, I promise! [Wink] You are quite correct about there not being a great deal of room to thread when mounting the very largest of spools onto these machines, however what I have found is if you have the threading mechanism already running, with practice and the right shaped cut on the edge of the film, even just "offering" the film to the slot grabs the film leader into position and this soon becomes an easy way round threading when using the larger spools I have found Maurice.

For the Disney features, I prefer to mount them to the 1800ft Beaulieu reel size giving you plenty of room to thread.

Also to gain an even better chance of a 100% perfect top and bottom loop whilst threading I have found that switching to 18fps on these machines really helps, although having said all of that, they generally do thread well and reliably no matter what technique you use so long as you cut your leaders with a chamfered 45 degree cutter rather than the bevelled edge style cut prefered by Elmo machines etc.

[ October 21, 2014, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 21, 2014 09:30 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew
The second concept only seems feasible for spindles that already will accept most/all spools. It could also replace any broken securing clips. In my case, the idea would not work as my problem (apart from one broken clip) is that they would hardly accept any type of spool.
Therefore, for me, the only solution for a stand-by pair would be your first idea, a metal version, complete with turn-over key to secure the spool.
As regards film trimming, the built-in cutter always seems to work for me.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 21, 2014 01:23 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Your new spindles will accept the "simpler" locking collar type Maurice without modification to them in any way.

The best "all metal" type like the Beaulieu HTI has, needs modification to the old plastic worn spindles to allow them to be fitted.

These are the best but will also be expensive to manufacture based on my submitted drawings. Let me know if you would like a set of the simple locking collar type to be made especially for you. Whatever spools already fit on your new plastic spindles from Wittners will continue to fit except they will be secured by a 28mm diameter steel knurled collar to give peace of mind and better tracking when using the larger spools as all of the "play" between reel and hub is removed by the retaining collars.

The collars would only ever be need to be fitted when using 1200ft spools or bigger. For all other spool sizes you would simply leave the collars off stored in your accessory case etc.

[ October 21, 2014, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 22, 2014 02:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) The new spindles are fine as they are, I would very seldom use the very large spools. As such, no modification is necessary.
2) The old spindles would accept only a few spools, therefore they would need to be modified to have the metal turn key idea.
I hope that the new spindles will last a long time and I would like to have modified spindles as a very future back-up.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 22, 2014 04:01 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
In that case Maurice, you would have to send me your old two plastic worn ones once I have had the prototype made for the HTI copied type. Upon return you would then fit these as a two stage procedure, plastic rear first to fit the belt to the pulley, then steel fronts including locking tab like Elmo etc.

May sound complex but it isn't really. One screw is the centre screw that is used already to hold the plastic type onto the steel shaft and the other three screws fasten around the periphery of the plastic hub to retain the new steel portion.

I will send you a photograph Maurice once I have my prototype of this kind made if you like. Would have to be by mail as I never had any success posting photographs on here with the low res ruling etc.

In the meantime, if anybody has any old worn plastic spindles for sale please just let me know. Then I can get a batch made in advance, then sell as the new modified steel type.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 22, 2014 08:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds an excellent idea Andrew, let us know how you get on.

--------------------
Maurice

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 08:55 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I have my original spindle with two broken prongs you can have if that helps.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 22, 2014 09:21 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Rob that would be fantastic thank you. The front section of the hub all gets removed so as long as the toothed pulley section and shroud is ok, that is all that matters Rob.

If both of the bearings are present, better still, but it doesn't matter too much as these can be transferred from the existing plastic ones that are currently in use on any of the machines.

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 10:54 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, apart from the broken prongs it is all intact and in good shape.

Just message me where you'd like it sent. [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 22, 2014 02:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Rob, thank you very much sir! Will PM you with my address thanks.

I will now have a broken Pair of these so I can make the first duo of uprated spindles. If people approve they can of course be rolled out to others if they supply their own old plastic set.

[ October 22, 2014, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 26, 2017 05:38 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew
What happened to your proposed project for modified spool retainers with a turn-over key?

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 26, 2017 11:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
There will come a time Maurice, one day perhaps, when I'm forced to put my long existing drawings to the test.

Like yourself Maurice, I purchased a new one from Wittners for just my front hub, the rear one felt like it had always only ever seen either Posso or Elmo spools.

As often happens, it's previous owner had clearly tried fitting many different types of spools onto the front spindle hub.
The nylon ones will not last 5 minutes if you try to force certain spools onto them, for example Taylor spools. The springy plastic retaining splines either snap or wear down in an instance and subsequent fitted quality spools can no longer be retained correctly.

Since first knowing this before even buying one of these machines, then since buying the new spindle hub, like yourself, I haven't had any issues or a need to concern myself with the first planned upgrade.

However, should the day arrive when the new one shows any signs of wear, despite fitting only quality spools, then I would try to improve the situation on these. By then, I'm guessing I'd be left with no other option than to manufacture my own as I doubt Wittners would still stock the nylon ones then.

If I had a few made and they proved a success, I'd then get around 5 other sets made to hopefully help other users.

I had two designs planned. One utilizes the M3 tapped hole in the centre of the nylon to add an additional steel centre adaptor that then allows a knurled retaining steel cap to be fitted to existing nylon hubs.

My other design was an all steel arrangement that uses a,sprung ball bearing latching mechanism somewhat similar to your Fuji machine but utilizing 3 location and driving splines for accuracy of fit, not one.

My issue with the Beaulieu designed tab type, is that I feel they are slightly fiddly in removal of the spool though they work well apparently for securing any reel of Film.

Any that are made have to respect the rear datum point on these hubs to ensure 100% alignment onto the floating roller at the input guide. At 2200ft sizes, wheel wobble has to kept to absolute minimum by accuracy of hub bore sizing and also the same for the 3 driving splines.
The better the fit, the greater the success with these I feel.

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2017 12:00 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever tried grafting the Elmo spindles to the Beaulieu back part to improve the 708? An idea I have...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2017 01:37 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not tried that Steve, but suggested a look at the elmo one's earlier in this thread, probably would fit with a bit of fettling, and they rarely brake and are trouble free. The beaulieu price's for those clips ,that look rubbish any way are just madness, and they disguised copy of the Elmo one, and not as good either.

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2017 01:41 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

From my side , I am still happy whith that :

-

100% Efficient........

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 27, 2017 02:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if the Elmo type could be grafted as Steven says, which is not a possibility, they would not suffice at very large spool sizes for reasons stated above surrounding accuracy at input guide.

Phils design here shows that a true datum point to the rear seating of the spool is absolutely critical on these to avoid scratching of film at input guide.

Phils design will work well for sure as it solely relies on a clamp fit to a machined face.perfect!

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2017 04:06 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a load of rubbish you talk. To dismiss the use of the Elmo part without it being proven not to work, is tantermount to stick you head up your arse, and saying I won't try it but I will dismiss it.

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2017 04:28 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I am not sure to pretty understand what is wrote above......
So, just have a look for the link below and you get a more precise idea how my spindle works :
BEAULIEU MODIFICATIONS IN PROGRESS
The "Jumbo" reels (means 750 Meters) are very heavy , so it is very important to get them firmly installed.
Moreover the design described is "much, much" better than the last Beaulieu device you can find on last products and also than any super 8 machine on the market , even for Top machines...
At the end, this design is also very simple, very basic....

A "StandBy" Solution:

Anyway, replacing the original spindle for an other one, brand new, but showing same design is not a satisfactory solution.

So to avoid you to waste money in a part for that you know the same ploblem occurs a day or an other , I suggest to make a stand by modification of the spindle "in situ" :

1) Cut 3 flexible lugs (unused anymore)
2) Insert a sleeve (Aluminium, Brass or Steel soft, any) Outside Diam Approx 9mm , inside Diam 4mm Approx (Both dimensions to be determined)
3) Manage a "cross Hole" Approx 2mm/3mm Diam(90° from main Axis) so that a Securing Pin could pass through to block any Film Reel installed
4) The idea is to secure the bushing with 3 small screws installed 120° from each one, Head screws had to be flush once installed

Obviously,with this "Stand By" device, the reel is not "Firmly" secured , but it can not slide over and fall down....

[ February 27, 2017, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Phil Murat ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 27, 2017 05:19 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul there is a physical reason why the Elmo part cannot be used, not an emotive one.
As you own both of these machines, i will allow you first to explain what that reason is.

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2017 11:32 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will have look at both mech's and see why this can't be used, for this, nothing I believe cannot be modified or reused from one machine's to another, in this case the more over engineered beaulieu will need all the help we can give it in the future.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 27, 2017 12:16 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link, Phil. You do wonderful things !

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC