8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Plastic spindle for a Beaulieu 708EL take-up reel anyone? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Plastic spindle for a Beaulieu 708EL take-up reel anyone?
Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2017 01:41 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Merci Phil ! C'est IMPRESSIONANT.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2017 02:21 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Dominique , Alexander

You can "keep an eye" on this link as I complete the informations in case there is something new.

I am also working on a Regulation Card fully rebuilt including modifications and modern material......
The drawing is ready so that I am in position to send it for PCB printing.
I modify first a STEREO Model . Upon test result, I modify a MONO model to introduce the new card as a full kit (Regulation Card plus Control Panel) and to allow the MONO to get the same Variable Speed range as the STEREO one.

Sometime you can discover a new issue somewhere you have not expected . For exemple, I realize that "Toggle switch" (Slide Switch) are difficult to find for the same dimensions. the common ones are smaller. Same thing for Connectors. The Beaulieu's one are now obsolete and no more available. I had to change the design for new configuration connectors.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 27, 2017 03:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great work Phil,as always. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2017 07:09 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Half way there to solving this problem. If my calculations are right you would need some surgery of the spindle that holds the hub in place, but other than that its farely straight forward to use the elmo hub on the beaulieu, and it would be as strong as the variants we have already seen. Lets not forget this hub is used on the extended arms that Wittner made, 800m capacity, its no more or less what your doing here, but with much less cost. If you don't believe this works, someone asked if they could take the strain on a GS, the answer was yes and for sometime with no noticeable problem from the hub or the GS.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 28, 2017 07:26 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If i get time tonight. I will post 2 photos one of each of the spindle hubs. Then it will be obvious what the restraints are of trying to fit an elmo style spindle onto the remainder of the beaulieu one would be.

I looked into it quite deep at the time and there wasnt one other existing style that i could find to integrate with any degree of ease.
Not even the Bauer ones which came closest.

Hence the drawings and hence the conclusion id more or less be starting from a blank slate.

Also bear in mind, any reel will fit onto a elmo hub. This is acceptable at 1200ft but produces far too much play at 2400ft for the larger reel diameters.
Exactly the same with the fuji ones.

You need a precise clamp fit to hit the floating roller dead on centre at all times to avoid mistrack and subsequent risk of scratching.

Either that or a greater distance apart like a LPU provides.

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2017 09:31 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Andrew, Paul, reviewing the content of the main subject , I have just miss to tell you or emphasize something (in fact this is something which is just crossing my mind again).

When I worked out the Reel carrier part (many years ago....), I remember to have observed a BIG DIFFERENCE between Reels products Quality and more particularly concerning fitting diameter (Reel Inner Diameter)
So I had to take in account this problem to allow installation from different kind of reels from the best to the worse product.

In summary, as I cut the spindle to the minimum diameter observed, the fitting clearance is important before tightening the finger knob, depending on reel source ........
Of course, once the knob tightened, any quality of reel is perfectly secured and do not float at all.....

So far as I can remember, HEURTIER projectors allow to firmly fit reels as their Spindle keys show a slopped (Bias) cut.
So , as much you push keys from outside to inside , better is secured the reel.
This is a clever design, quite simple, which works pretty good too....

However, ELMO keys are locking in a same plane and are not in contact with the reel flange......

[ February 28, 2017, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Phil Murat ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 28, 2017 10:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on your initial statement above phil, i would want the bore diameter of the hub to be machined to upper end tolerances. Ie snug fit for elmo and posso reels. I wouldnt want taylor reels etc to be able to be fitted due to poor axial concentricty of these type of reels with smaller hollow bores.

Only solid precise bores like those of an elmo spool at 1200ft would be able to be fitted.

This then, would gurantee the safe tracking of any spool that will fit, just in the same manner as the nylon ones currently do the same.

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2017 11:14 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did say half way through. I recognise the Elmo clip is not ideal, but it could be help to locate the reel better with some sort of flange /washer that would lock between the reel and the latch. I have never had a 1200 ft elmo reel come off while running or rewinding on the GS, not that it couldn't but hasn't as yet. I'm surprised with your design that locks to the reel did not incorporate a saucer shaped washer to spread the locking pressure over a greater area.

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2017 01:24 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Paul, at the origin I made a very simple design to get parts easier to be cut on the lathe, so the button is a simple cylindrical part, single diameter.
May be it could be interesting to increase outside diameter, but interest to stay on a small Diam is to naturally limit finger torque and tightness.
Anyway, any kind of Finger-knob can be tested, up to user requirements.....

I make tip outside diameter measure for Andrew.

An other thing which could be important is to keep an "elegant" design (as possible) or good looking to stay in the general Beaulieu typical concept ......

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2017 05:00 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I'm talking maybe 25mm dia with an angle of 15 degree's 12-15mm height, sorry I have not done the math's to see if this is correct, just by eye. This would not detract too much from your original design, but would give you more clamping to the reel.

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2017 04:42 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Paul, Andrew,

Here are measures I record for mating diameters :

1) Elmo Spindle ===> 12,56mm
2) Beaulieu Modified Spindle ===> 12,68mm

12,68mm is the max Diam limit. Above this dimension, Beaulieu, Elmo, Posso reels will seize a bit.

Paul, did you mean mating sides with conical surfaces in your description ?
I was thinking to this kind of solution to get a perfect centering for the reel but this a bit more difficult to perform (That could involve a spring loaded conical sleeve fitted inside securing knob or on the opposite part)

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 01, 2017 04:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I had it as 12.65 on my drawings Phil, but I won't be disagreeing with you sir for three hundredths of a mm! [Big Grin] [Wink]

Thanks again Phil! [Smile]

I now have a tolerance +0.03 - -0.00mm [Wink]

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2017 05:01 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Andrew, you are perfectly right.

12,65 mm is much better. Normally that could fit with any Beaulieu reels and get a more "confortable" reel installation.

Anyway it is easier to diminish a diameter than the reverse procedure..... [Wink]

Also , let me know what did you observe for Derann Reels as necessary....

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 01, 2017 05:06 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't measured the Grasso 600ft type yet Phil. Except to say they have a similar fit to the others you mention above and they have the all important solid bore!

Bonum, Grasso, Sankyo,Posso, Elmo, Gepe,Schneider, Fuji and any other quality spool I can think of, will all fit onto a spindle measuring 12.65mm very well with no slop in their fit.

Ones with hollow metal inserts into their plastic reels will not, thankfully, nor will the heavy American steel reels that only have a keyway on one side of the reel.

[ March 01, 2017, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 01, 2017 05:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Incidentally, contrary to popular belief it would seem, all parts that were available before the announcement at the back end of last year, are still available to buy.

I've got a set of most of the necessary parts on the list, but not all of their entire inventory, just to quash the myth.

[url= http://www.wittnercinetec.com/epages/WittnerCinetec-Super8-16mm-Film.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/WittnerCinetec-Super8-16mm-Film/Categories/"Beaulieu%20708%20EL%20Zubehör"]htt p://www.wittnercinetec.com/epages/WittnerCinetec-Super8-16mm-Film.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/WittnerCinetec-Super8-16mm-Film/Categories/"Beaulieu%20708%20EL%20Zubehör"[/url]

Nothing's any different now, than it was this time last year.

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2017 05:46 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe you feel Grasso's are quality spools Andrew yet you don't rate Goldberg and Fumeo metal spools simply because they don't have a solid centre?

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 01, 2017 11:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No Kevin I don't particularly like Grasso 600ft spools, but their centre hubs are perfectly fine.

Ordinarily, they wouldn't be on the list, but Phil was talking only of how they fit on Beaulieu spindles and from this perspective, Grasso 600 footers, made the list Kevin.

I'm sorry Kevin but no, I personally don't rate Golgberg spools as I find them way too heavy but admittedly they are well made with a bore size and design that isn't compatible in use with Beaulieu.

They've always been ok for my optical prints though Kevin.

I personally have always found, that a solid centre hub is absolutely imperative for larger spools in particular,in order to avoid "spool wobble" issues and subsequent mistrack.

[ March 02, 2017, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2017 01:14 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quality control at its best,

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2017 02:15 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Reviewing one more time what it is talked about above, I understand much better why Paul emphasize the idea to increase knob mating surface.......
I am mainly using spools showing "solid" hub.

In case of using spools showing a recess between both rims , you can experience rims permanent distorsion if knob is overtighten .

So , as Paul said above, increasing knob diameter and matting surface will prevent you from this issue !!!!

So, what I can do , is to manage an optionnal pressure plate (Like a big washer) to install upon request between the knob and spool , as necessary.....
[Eek!]

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2017 08:45 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if anyone has tried out the Van Eck parts for the 708:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Beaulieu-708-EL-Reelholder-PP-0012-new-/261902450997?hash=item3cfa9a4135

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 13, 2017 12:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have a set Steven (not fitted), and I reported the differences from those original ones sold by Wittners at the time I very first obtained a set. [Wink]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 13, 2017 04:52 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew
Would you please be kind enough to repeat (or a link to) your comments about Edwin's part number PP-0012 "Beaulieu 708 EL Reel Holder".
It is described as "New version of strong high-grade industrial artificial fibre with sintered bronze bearing."
As we all know, the plastic "springy" spool retaining clips have a habit of breaking off.
Would the same problem apply to Edwin's new part?

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 13, 2017 06:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course Maurice! 😊

I'm off during the daytime tomorrow, I will post a full resume then.

Please bear in mind though,these are only ever my own findings based purely on my own experiences with these things.
Opinions may well differ and I don't ever profess to be any kind of mentor on these things, simply a heavy user with a resulting heavy time honoured experience. Sometimes for the better, but much in the early days,.. often for the worse!

Wouldn't want to ever upset anyone now, would we? [Wink]

[ March 14, 2017, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 14, 2017 03:38 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew
I look forward to your reply.
I always appreciate your comments on various matters as a user of similar projectors to those which I own.
Sharing information is an important part of this Forum.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 14, 2017 06:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't find my original post sorry from when I very first obtained the newly then manufactured Beaulieu copied spindle hubs from Edwin and for all I now know, these may now be being made to a slightly different specification than the early prototype ones I received but here was my findings regardless, Maurice..

They are made to a very good standard of precision was my first observations, the reels fitted onto the standalone spindle hubs with that familiar new "clunk" we associate with these type of plastic hubs when brand new.

The vulnerable plastic splines appeared to my eyes at least,to be somewhat thicker than the originals and the all important retaining lugs, 70% along the way down of these retaining splines, also appeared a slightly different shape and size than the originals.

In both cases this was for the better in my opinion. If you look very very closely at the Beaulieu originals, the lugs on the ends of the three splines, are all curved throughout their length.
What this means in usage is, you have a peak to climb while the reel enters onto the splines and while the splines themselves become deflected downwards, but then as the reel enters over and beyond the crest of the curvature on these lugs, the reel then slides down the opposing side of this curvature on the spline lug and then sits firmly up to the rear abutment face on the spindle hubs.
At this same point in time, the splines themselves, become relaxed again and should, when new and healthy, return to their original relaxed position and retain the reel only by this rear curvature on the lug.

When you compare this spline profile to one of Edwins, his differ in so much as the lug on the end of the three splines is differently shaped.
His are are a far more "chiseled" arrangement, where the profile is simply a tangential slope front and back, and then a straighter taller section for the peak of the lugs.

This means that while these splines do deflect a whole lot more as a result of the larger lugs, the reel sits more firmly against the abutment face due to the chamfered design of the actual lug, as opposed to the original curved design lugs.

Also, as the splines are thicker, you'd expect them to be stronger and more durable so long as the polymers used contain enough elasticity within them to allow theses splines to flex many thousands of times as required.
That is something only time would tell and so far at least, I have never needed to fit mine.

On the appearance front, these spindles do not particularly look similar to the originals.
They are of a more dull grey appearance than the original smooth shiny black originals.
Also as with any 3D printed part that so far I have personally seen, they are a much rougher surface texture also.
This of course, should be of insignificance for a part doing what these do, however.

Finally. The main reason why I personally, felt slightly disappointed with these newly designed spindle hubs, was because Edwin chose to go with original "brass or bronze" bushed type of bearing arrangement for these.

As you know, Beaulieu superseded this design by fitting a dual ball bearing type arrangement to each of these hubs to allow them to spin very very freely with heavy loads of film mounted upon them.
The original Bush bearing type were known in some instances of heavy use, to cause premature wear to the motors due to massive load felt by the motor when rewinding 2400ft reels of film.
If the bronze bearings were regularly lubricated with a fine machine oil, no problem, but otherwise over lengthy periods of heavy use, problems involving the motor windings could develop.

Because of this information above, this is why I'd much preferred if these had been identically designed to those sold by Wittners that follow the later Beaulieu design with these, the ones with the two ball bearings fitted to them in other words and the ones which cause no such motor problems on the later Beaulieu Stereo models etc etc.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC