8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What does your family / friends think of your hobby? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What does your family / friends think of your hobby?
Daniel Beijar
Junior

- posted September 17, 2010 11:30 AM      Profile for Daniel Beijar   Email Daniel Beijar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember 10 years ago when I started shooting my own Super 8 movies and I was 12 years old I mostly got good feedback from relatives, family and friends. But nowadays nobody seem to care as much for my movies. Everybody just want to watch what they like, when they like, on a small computer screen. Sitting together in a dark crowded room watching a usually silent picture don't seem to be that interesting any more. But I like to see it as a way for my friends to get a way from the hi-tech digital world. And if that's isn't enough I can always crank up the gramophone to. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 17, 2010 11:52 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Something's happened along the way: when television started you had a screen not even a foot across, and if a family was wealthy enough to have a TV they all huddled around it because they were so expensive almost nobody had more than one in a household. They were together for a shared experience, and probably talked about it afterwards too.

Time passed, the screens got bigger, the sets got cheaper. Soon everybody had one and then several, and people started having a set to themselves.

Now the screens have gotten tiny again but cheaper still, and we have them with us all the time.

We can live in our own isolated little worlds, just us and our screens.

Alone even in a crowd: Don't seem healthy to me!

We three like to go out to breakfast every Saturday, to a nice little place up by the harbor with really good home-style food. We've noticed that unless Nintendo DS stays home, our son can go the entire meal without saying anything or eating either.

I've expressed a desire to drive a nail through the damn thing and leave it dangling from a tree, but so far my wife isn't on board.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2010 12:19 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I don't see the the VHS collecting craze going very far. Neither the tapes or players were designed to last very long. I see boxes of the tapes going unsold at garage sales all the time. If you're looking for a real cheap hobby that may be the way to go.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 17, 2010 01:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah! I'll stick to collecting empty beer bottles. (I keep 'em in a bin under the steps)

-at least when I get tired of 'em I can get the deposit back!

Something I've noticed with video technology in general is how disposable it's becoming. Back in the late 1970s my parents bought a VCR. It was one of those that the tape sprung up from the inside, probably a Panasonic. That machine easily lasted them ten years of day to day usage and we were almost sad the day it croaked. The ones you buy these days: two to four years. By the time you figure them out fully, they are history, and don't even think about repairing them either.

I have a drawerfull of orphaned remotes as proof! (I'm not sure why I keep them either...)

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2010 05:24 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I also have a drawer full of orphaned remotes! [Big Grin]

I haven't figured out why I keep mine either....I guess I'm not alone!

Bill [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 20, 2010 03:46 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say everyone has enjoyed it over the years, I have put on a number of away from home film shows as well and its been a lot of fun. Its an event setting up a film projector which has the "wow" factor unlike video [Smile] my wife controls the money when she says "NO" you cant have it then thats that [Frown] however to be fair I would probably be broke otherwise. Steven my son puts on Super8 film shows for his kids and I think he got the bug from me [Smile] my daughter said on a visit once last year looking at all the projectors and films etc. I asked what are you up to...she replied... Dad.. when you die would I get all this. I could hear her thinking $$$$$$$$$$.. I wouldn't bank on it, oh no I didn't mean that "backtracking" she said. So folks thats the difference between the female and male way of thinking, Steven wants to keep everything "good lad" [Smile] April $$$$$$$ anyway its not up to them, my better half the wife Yvonne has the final say although she has been watching "CSI" a lot lately...I hope she is not getting any ideas [Eek!]

Talking about digests they are good in the sense in that very few people I know are interested in sitting through a full feature more than once but joining a bunch of shorts or digests onto 1200ft reels works really well, it can give something for everyone.

One digest "Where Eagles Dare" 3/400ft about 50 minutes long is better than the full feature as it takes out the slow bits and you are left with plenty of action...and that suits me.
 -
I must add though long long ago before VHS, was the big one with the release of "Star Wars" it was always said that it was better to have a slice of the cake than none at all and that pretty summed up film collecting back then.
 -

Graham.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 20, 2010 08:43 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a request from a friend from Church that is responsible for activities for young children.

She asked me to put on a show for them sometime next winter.

...so at the very least, some of my friends find my hobby useful!

--------------------

Chris Batt
Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2010 04:24 PM      Profile for Chris Batt   Email Chris Batt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long live Super 8............

Come on guys, we have the coolest hobby in the world, real movies, whether they be digest or full run, not some digital pansy locked in a frame. "The cinema is open tonight darling, can you grab me a tea!"

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC