8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » bolex conversion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bolex conversion
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2010 10:48 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
while converting my bolex to the three belt sysyem from the single flat belt i noticed my claw dose not work the same as it used to it makes noise and while it seems to work in forward it does not work in reverse does the claw arm have to be in a certain position in this spindle to operate properly?
Thanks for any info. jim

-
 -

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see 電o I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2010 11:00 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was wrong with the original single belt system?

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2010 03:35 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
could not find a belt plus it always slipped

--------------------
jim schrader

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2010 03:50 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try Bolex in Switzerland, they might still have the belts or could give you a source.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 19, 2010 06:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim
If you are unable to get the right belt I would check out any Seal Importers locally. I found a place out here called SIL Importers they stock hydraulic and pheumatic seals, O Rings and bushes they were brilliant to deal with and easily matched new O rings for my ST1200 and ST180 for less than $2 each with a huge range of sizes to choose from. I just needed the old one for them to measure and match. The material is EPDM {Ethylene Propylene rubber} and works well.

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 19, 2010 07:02 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Parker Seal Corpn. in the USA stock a huge range of o-rings in a large variety of materials. They have distributors all over the country - just go to their web site. I got 3 Butyl rubber 0- rings for my Bolex 18-5 from them about 20 years ago, and they are still like new. Graham mentioned Ethylene Propylene (EPDM) which is also an excellent material. Both Butyl and EP rings are extensively used in military and aerospace applications and will just about last forever. Make sure you get 50 or 60 durometer (hardness) rings for the smoothest running in the Bolex..

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2010 02:35 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The O rings work very well on the three belt projectors, but the one Jim has is a very early model. Unlike the later 3 belt models, the single belt model did not have grooved or V pulleys. Both the large and small pully were flat with no edges. I do not believe an O ring, would stay on the flat pullies.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2010 08:50 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your help barry gave me 2 bolex's to play around with I took my old belt and placed it on one of these + took some parts off the other one to make it complete and all seems to work well i will run a film leader through it tomorrow to see if it handles it fine. in the mean time if anybody needs parts for your bolex let me know i may part out with these units sincce they are so heavy to ship complete.

--------------------
jim schrader

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2010 11:25 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any of the Bolex emblems that always fall off? I need the one that goes on the projector, not the cover.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2010 01:00 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
let me look i do not remember seeing any but let me double check and get back to you.

--------------------
jim schrader

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2010 10:15 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about a 20mm or 25mm prime lens?

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2010 10:47 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok here is what is available the units i got have no labels or lenses.This is what would be available.
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
jim schrader

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC