8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Safety Last - Harold Lloyd (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Safety Last - Harold Lloyd
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 20, 2010 02:37 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who released this on Super 8, feature length?

|  IP: Logged

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2010 03:02 PM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have it on super 8mm BW silent 3x400ft reels running on 18fps by Blackhawk Films.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 20, 2010 04:37 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was there a Blackhawk sound release?

Guy Tessier
Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2010 06:00 PM      Profile for Guy Tessier   Author's Homepage   Email Guy Tessier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael - a mate of mine has a lot of Harold Lloyd full length features on Super 8 sound. They are Time Life prints. They are "in storage" at the moment - but he's pretty sure Safety Last is one of them. I seem to remember Blackhawk advertising it but as was the case with a lot of their titles the copyright meant they would not sell to Australia so I never got one. I'm doing an inventory of his films in the near future as he may sell off a lot of his collection. Keep watching here.
Cheers

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2010 03:22 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there was a Blackhawk sound release-I own a copy in original box [Smile]

--------------------
Yannis

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2010 05:15 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You lucky...... my friend!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 21, 2010 09:24 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, thanks fellas.

I just picked up the sound version on ebay.Looking forward to it.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2010 06:28 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that the Blackhawk/Time-Life version is slightly edited. Unless you've seen the full-length version recently or have memorized it, you wouldn't suspect that anything was cut out.
To my knowledge, a full-length version was never released in 8mm.

I've found that to be the case with WHY WORRY? and THE FRESHMAN as well -- the cuts are very well-done.

WHY WORRY?, btw, is just as good as SAFETY LAST. If you haven't seen it, it is worth seeking out. Someone is offering it on eBay right now. It is my favorite Harold Lloyd film.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2010 02:55 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with regards to 'Why Worry'. Probably Lloyd's best film. But then I like all of them.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 22, 2010 12:59 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Keep in mind that the Blackhawk/Time-Life version is slightly edited.
Yes, that is the one thing that almost deterred me from buying this print. I hate edited versions of any film.
But, until I can afford a decent 16mm print of this one, I'll settle for this one.
[Smile]

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2010 06:11 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Every print of SAFETY LAST I've seen offered in 16mm is also the Time-Life cut. On many occasions sellers have listed Time-Life Lloyds as "complete", and I've often pointed out to them that it was not complete. Most doubted me. Oh well.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 23, 2010 01:23 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony,

How much is missing on the edited prints?

My feeling is that there should be some complete prints out there somewhere on 16mm - TV prints perhaps?

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2010 04:18 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

There must be about 10 minutes missing. Having said that, it is not really noticeable if you don't know the original cut. I used to have the S8 version but sold it (to Yanis I think...) when I found a 16mm print. My understanding is that TimeLife had the rights for it since the early sixties. Any complete prints must therefore be older than that.

I'm waiting for the Lloyd dvd set. As soon as it arrives I will be able to say what is missing from the Time-Life print. I must say that the jazzy score on the TimeLife prints is the most annoying aspect of them.

I have a few R8 prints of Harold Lloyd shorts from Film-Office. Those are marvelous quality. I wonder if they ever released features.

My kids asked just yesterday to see Safety Last again. So will try to get it out for a screening this weekend!

- Rob

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 23, 2010 04:47 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob,

I have the full version on VHS but haven't watched it for some time. I probably shall not miss the 10 mins at all.

Thanks for the info.

-Mike

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2010 01:19 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwwww damn! I have several of the Blackhawk/Time-Life Features in Super 8 Sound with beautiful original boxes. Now to find out they're edited? Dammit! It's like finding out there's not really a Santa Claus. Well, I shall still treasure them - it's all I can get right now. As for the music.... I don't recall my Blackhawk prints having the jazzy scores. I'll have to rewatch them - I seem to remember organ scores, but I could be wrong.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 23, 2010 02:53 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had confirmation from a friend that he has a full length 70min version of SAFETY LAST on 16mm - so, they are indeed out there.

One day then...... [Smile]

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2010 05:17 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that they are out there -- but any time I've seen them offered on eBay they were the T-L versions.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2010 06:34 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Rob-it was me you sold it to [Smile]
...what I really miss about Lloyd are the TV versions with commentary apart from music-found them awsome as a kid....

--------------------
Yannis

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2010 02:53 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Hooray For Harold Lloyd' was the name of that compilation programme I think. That's what awakened me to this great comedian too. Also led to me getting into Keaton's films simply out of curiosity.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2010 03:57 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you're right John, I used to make big fun with my friends of the dab-badadabadab-dab-dab sound in the end! Great days [Cool] .....

--------------------
Yannis

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 25, 2010 06:28 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print I bought has the jazz score with sound effects. It opens with the Hooray for Harold Lloyd theme.

Not quite what I was expecting but a nice print nonetheless.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2010 10:17 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's an actor portraying Lloyd in the opening of the show, right? Can't possibly really be him.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2010 07:50 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. The T-L prints open with a montage of stills from Lloyd's movies.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2010 08:35 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, I was referring to the opening of the "Hooray For Harold Lloyd" show back in the 80's. It has what I believe is an actor masquerading as Lloyd (and a very good likeness at that) walking around a house (a typical colonial home one would see in the 1920's) doing some little bits of business. The footage is too crisp and fresh looking to be anything 60+ years old and the Lloyd in this footage just doesn't look 100% like Harold. You can tell something is off. You can view the footage if you search "Hooray For Harold Lloyd" on YouTube. The Lloyd features from Time-Life have a jazz-band version of the opening theme from the show without the lyrics being sung by what sounds like a high school madrigal group. The tune is catchy when it's done up-tempo, but the singing is just awful.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 01, 2010 01:10 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I'm now a little confused myself.
Is the Time-Life version identical to the Blackhawk release?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC