8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig 802 Projector Issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig 802 Projector Issue
Douglas W. Warren
Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2010 02:46 PM      Profile for Douglas W. Warren   Email Douglas W. Warren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received a Eumig 802 Projector through eBay recently. The problem I'm having is that the machine runs at 18 fps, but when switched to 24 fps the spindles don't turn. Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

Cheers,
Douglas [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 23, 2010 02:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you can hear the motor running but nothing else is happening?

The 800 series use this interesting method of changing projection speed which is a sliding ball on the motor shaft touching the flat side of a disk. As the ball slides towards the center of the disk the number of motor turns to “walk” around that circle get fewer and fewer, so the speed goes up.

In the world of automobiles this is called a Continuously Variable Transmission.

My guess is the rubber facing on your disk is worn out at the radius for 24 FPS and you are losing traction.

As you slide the speed control just a little slower, does it work again?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Douglas W. Warren
Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2010 03:20 PM      Profile for Douglas W. Warren   Email Douglas W. Warren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,
The motor and lamp appear to be working fine and I test ran an old film through it at 18 fps. But when you set the speed at 24 fps,it stops cold with any weight on the spindles. I'll check what you've suggested and see if I can do anything. Any clue who sells Eumig parts these days? Many thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Douglas [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 23, 2010 03:43 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've heard, this is major surgery if you even can get the parts.

I'm in luck so far because my machine has never had the problem.

Here's some ideas:

Sand It

Clean It and Sand It

If you search there are many more.

If you take the speaker side cover off the machine, you can see this transmission back towards the rear spindle (near the adjustment slider). It's wonderfully simple, but unfortunately it has this weakness with age.

Just take care: when you do this you expose line voltage if you plug it in!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2010 07:51 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First try to clean rubber coated disks with spirit (96% to 99% alcohol) and wipe dry. Don`t use other solvents.
We grind rubber disks outside projector, otherwise you will have rubber dust and abrasive particels inside projector causing further problems in near future.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC