8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Beware of this Seller on e bay (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Beware of this Seller on e bay
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 16, 2010 06:36 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone had any dealings with this bloke

davidcashinattic1234

AVOID AT ALL COST,

I'll elaborate later if anyone else has been caught out.

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 16, 2010 06:49 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elaborate please.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 16, 2010 02:14 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This guy has advertised Beatles trailers and concert showing two reels of film, i have recieved one reel of utter S*** with a single beatles trailer tagged onto the end,
I Have to say i guess this will certainly end me buying anything again on e bay, ive always been weary of it and this is something i find quite tiresom, a shame really as my first e bay purchase was the 1200HD which is superb. I'll carry on selling & i think that it.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 16, 2010 02:42 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,

I have seen his completed items. Some were interesting titles but with ugly box (has been customized with a bad cut and paste).

Some films were spooled in weird number reels for those knowing the product. For example, a Wild Geese was spooled into two 400" reels only, while this is three reelers films (Derann) or four reelers (UFA). But most of them were sold quite cheap.

So what is inside your film beside the Beatles trailer? any interesting?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 16, 2010 02:42 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been on Ebay for 7 years and had only 1 or 2 problems which were quickly taken care of. I find it a great source for films etc. I always check the feedback before bidding. Too bad you had a bad experience. Thanks for the info.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 17, 2010 07:46 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The guy clearly lacks knowledge of film, to put it mildly - I looked up one of his sales and it referred to "tapes" in a "tape cassette holder". Was he completely unwilling to offer a refund? If not, why not give him the negative feedback he deserves?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2010 08:21 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

To be fair to the seller he did state in his description that he knew nothing about these film reels or tapes as he called them.

TAPES!!!!-That should have set the warning bell off!!!

I would suggest that you request a full refund on the basis that he didnt have a clue what he was actually selling.

He certainly made a few bob out of those auctions I can tell you.

You really have to be careful when dealing with film novices on ebay.

Regards Mark

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 17, 2010 01:06 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i must admit i did think, haaa, maybe a bargin here as the guy doesnt know what he's selling, ive certainly learned the hard way, at present ive put it thru the resolution centre and will persue getting a refund,i'm holding off the feedback so as not to antagonise him as you wouldnt believe the crap he's tried to put in his reply, however, the image of the beatles films were of two spools and the one single film sent is a duff copy of wait for it, you''l laugh,

The sound of poxy music, 400ft [Embarrassed] with 200ft of the beatles tagged at the end, his actual listing for this item is the opposite to what he's supplied, in my view e bay should force the refund as in this one item he does not state that it is anything other than beatles films on one "tape" and beatles in concert on the other,
He shall be getting the feedback he deserves depending on the outcome and his attitude.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2010 01:24 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely he should have offered you a full refund without going thru the resolution route.

He has clearly misrepresented what you were getting in his photograph and the actual auction listing so you should have no problem getting a refund here if ebay intervene.

I bet the Sound of Music was one of the awful UK prints and faded too?

Please keep us all posted on the outcome.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 17, 2010 02:23 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will do that, its me who's going thru the resolution centre to make sure i try and get somewhere as the guy appears to be a bit of an a**h***,
Out of interest here is the guys listing text,

i believe these are super 8mm films please correct me if i,m wrong as they go with the eumig s 936 projector listed .both tapes as they appear in the tape cassette holder.they both appear to be in good condition .any questions please feel free to ask thanks .i may consider a buy it now for all of these tapes.i believe these are rare items but i,ve listed at 0.99 to give everyone a fair chance thanks..these are two tapes one is called beatles trailer and the other is called beatles in concert..

So as you can see he clearly states and has pictured two reels or tapes as he calls them and doesnt mebtion anything about the fact sound of music and knid and i are plastered all over the box, i do feel pretty stupid for actually falling for this and i guess i will only continue to be a seller but with the costs involved and all the bollocks of wrapping and post offices i have to say im not sure its all worth the hassel,

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2010 05:21 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
Sorry to hear the bad news. How did you pay for the item? If a credit card is involved even via paypal you might be able to get some joy there

--------------------
Tony

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 18, 2010 06:18 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its done via paypal linked to a bank account, i cant possibly see how e bay would disagree with this, i went straight thru the resolution centre to ensure he didnt try and close his account, i'm assuming that with this on going now that they would be able to lock the account from closure until its resolved.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 18, 2010 06:39 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Do you have a link to the actual completed auction at all?

-Mike

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 18, 2010 08:50 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When a case is reported to Ebay, at the same time the seller's paypal account is held for the amount you reported. So basically you are safe.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 18, 2010 11:35 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that info, appreciate that,
If it works here is the item,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170561113314&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

You'll need to scroll down, geeeez im embarrassed [Embarrassed]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 18, 2010 12:51 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience, Tom - but, I honestly don't feel the seller was deliberately dishonest or misleading in his description. I think he just genuinely has no idea what he had there.

Hope you can get some joy though.
[Smile]

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2010 02:11 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom received one reel instead of two as per the sellers photo so thats blatantly misleading in my opion.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 18, 2010 03:00 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, i think there is an element of truth but as Mark states, he is didhonest in that
1/ His images clearly show two spools, but the box he sent had one
2/ He states that one reel is Beatles trailers and the second reel is beatles in concerts,
3/ The front of the box has a two very large labels , one is the 400ft box cover of sound of music, the other is a 20ft size king and i, How dim does the guy need to be to work that out?
4/ If he didnt know what it was he should have stated the box cover images , the fact that he put an image of two spools and not an image of the one he intended to send out, that as far as im concerned is dishonest and his replies are both sarcastic and scilly, this was why i chose to go striaght thru the resolution centre,
In fact, thats as bad as someone on here listing and showing an Elmo sound projector and sending an old silent machine out, I could not have been politer in my first e mail to him if i tried and when i got the reply i did i thought, oh well, i'll take it as far as i can, however, im looking forward to leaving him his feedback, that may be worth the money. [Big Grin] [Wink]

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2010 07:39 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am convinced there are some on ebay who use fake ignorance when listing some items.As a matter of fact,a couple of guys like that have become legendary.I'll give no names but I'm sure you know who they are.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 19, 2010 01:27 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, John, to avoid others being caught out why not at least give us a clue?
If my case was a real shop they'd be taken to court and if the guy spoke to a customer in the sarcastic way my message read to me first off he'd have been sacked, if i could reach out and touch him i'd deal with it myself, i hate cons and people who con with a vengence and as a result of this twat i certainly wont purchase off e bay again.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 19, 2010 08:00 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops, I didn't realise you only got one reel while two were actually advertised.
Sorry!!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 19, 2010 12:24 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink] no worries michael,
For me this is what they call learning the hard way, it could have been much worse, i could have bought that eumig off him, i bet whoevers got that wished they hadnt. [Wink]

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2010 06:28 AM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello i buy and sell on ebay and if the listing showed
two films and you never received one he should have sent
you a refund, i would say 90% of the films sold on ebay
are super 8 films found in attics or house clearance sales
but there are bargains to be found on ebay just be careful
and ask the seller before bidding ?

--------------------
t.smith

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 20, 2010 06:38 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i hate cons and people who con with a vengence and as a result of this twat i certainly wont purchase off e bay again.

It's understandable that you should feel p**sed off because of this but I wouldn't go throwing the baby out with the bathwater - you'll miss out on a few bargains. All it takes is a bit of care.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 20, 2010 07:04 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas/Michael, you are both correct, i guess im feeling a bit scilly, the obvious every should and probably does,(except me in this case) is to firstly ensure the seller has a 100% rating, this is usually a sign, at the end of the day i will give the guy a chance to right this and if i get a refund all well and good but at present i'll hold onto the film until e bay decide whats next,

Thanks for your feedback so far on these, i'll let you know how i get on. [Wink]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC