8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » One nice world about this forum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One nice world about this forum
Andreas Borutta
Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2010 06:17 AM      Profile for Andreas Borutta   Email Andreas Borutta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a german collector it is unusual to join the english 8mm forum. When I look in a german super 8 forum,they speak all only about Nizo cameras,how to get still material to film and more questions about technic. But they never talk about the love to the old times of movie collecting,the artwork of the boxes,the colors of the digests,the contents of different releases and so on. I really must say ,that I like the people here on this forum and their way to take care that the old material from the seventies will be not forgoten. I am glad,that I belong to this comunity.
Best wishes from Germany
Andreas Borutta

|  IP: Logged

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2010 06:48 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Andreas.

I for one am happy you have joined the forum and are sharing the information about your film club activities. I would like to see more collectors from Germany ( and all of EU ) participate in the forum.

I manufacture Film-O-Clean and Wittner Cinetec distributes in the EU - they have sold more in the EU than I have in the USA - so I know there are many collectors abroad.

It is healthy for the community to have a good 'forum' where we may all share our appreciation and information about film collecting.

Please continue to post and invite more of your friends to join as well !

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 07, 2010 10:08 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The nice thing about this Forum and others along the same lines is they provide an alternative to the shoot and transfer only mindset you find in some other places.

Back when Internet 8mm discussion Forums came to be it was all about filmmaking and pretty exclusively. The artistes were dominant and the idea of someone setting up a projector and showing a Blackhawk was kind of frowned upon. I remember one guy telling a newby "Never, ever run film through a projector! It will get scratched!" There was also this kind of sour joy when Kodachrome was ended because it would "clear out the amateurs".

-this is just a nice, welcoming place. Nobody here thinks they are the next Fellini and looks down on anybody else who knows they aren't.

None of this stuff should ever be taken too seriously. With jobs, families, politics, health, economics and other things we are either responsible for or helpless to do anything about it's just plain healthy to have something that's just for fun and places to enjoy it among others that enjoy it too. It re-centers your brain and makes it easier to deal with the rest of it.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 07, 2010 10:19 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Never, ever run film through a projector! It will get scratched!"
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
That's funny.

Incidentally, what did these guys use to view their work?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 07, 2010 11:23 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea is: shoot, process, transfer, edit digitally and then distribute on digital media. They use the phrase "The Film Look" quite a lot.

Very often they use the negative emulsions. (They're never going to watch the camera original, so why shouldn't they?)

The film is basically just a capture media and at most an archival media once the transfer is finished.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2010 04:52 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vielen Dank für Ihre freundlichen Worte, Andreas. Willkommen im Forum.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2010 08:31 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grüße! Froh, Sie an Bord zu haben! Andreas, sammeln Sie nur 8mm oder sammeln Sie auch 16mm?

Andreas Borutta
Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2010 07:14 AM      Profile for Andreas Borutta   Email Andreas Borutta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Brad
thank you for welcome me. Super 8mm is still a big love for me ,because it is so easy to transport and to install.
So I can bring my home cinema to friends and shall the joy of watching real filmmaterial with them.
I tried to collect 16mm,but I was not satisfied. Sometimes the prints are faded,sometime they are out of focus and more. But always they are expensive. But on the other side they made wonderful IB Technicolor prints on 16,too.
So I decided,to avoid 16 mm and do collect 35 mm. That is a beautiful format for me.I love to collect cinemascope Technicolor trailers,and on 35 mm I was lucky to get a lot.
Greetings from Germany
Andreas

William Mouroukas
Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2011 07:37 AM      Profile for William Mouroukas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also add a nice word about this forum. Since I discovered and joined a couple of weeks ago, I've been working my way back through the thread lists. It's a very friendly community and I'm learning so much just reading topics that catch my eye. I had no idea so much has been released on S8 and it's great to be able to access the wisdom of the 'Gods' (and other 'Film Handlers').
I've always loved screening my home movies and the commercial releases in my collection as a projected film experience. Having said that it had probably been about 10 years since I screened anything (projector faulty) but last weekend, with my newly acquired Elmo ST-180 (+ 2 new belts) I introduced my nephew and niece (both teenagers)to the wonders of S8. What was meant to be a two hour session went for six.
I'm so pleased to have found the 8mm Forum and to have rediscovered my passion for S8.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 22, 2011 01:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, you'll find dyed in the wool film fools here, myself included. It's something that really in indescribable about film.

We deal with scratches ...
film fade,
bad color stock,
a need for splices do to breakage of our films ...
The ever present need for more projector bulbs ...
"Another damned belt breakage?! AIGH!!!!

... and yet, we come back for more glorious abuse!

I had the whole gamut. I started out with super 8 in the mid to late 80's, sold my collection to have the money to move into laserdisc (greatest blunder of my life!)

... moved into DVD and then, in 2002 (I think, I'm not sure) I feel in love with the reomance of celluloid once again and this time, there is no parting us.

I think you need to have been abused with just digital, before you really value something that is so organic and real as film, whether it's super 8, 16, 35 or even (for those lucky ones) 70mm!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 22, 2011 02:34 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael. As we used to say.. "Must have been a sewing machine" [Eek!]

Joseph Banfield
Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2011 05:33 PM      Profile for Joseph Banfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Willkommen an bord, Andreas! Es freut mich, dass Du hier bist! Es is auch gut, dass bei uns eine andere Meinung dabei ist! Herzliche Willkommen!!!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC