8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A MUST HAVE BOOK FOR FILM COLLECTORS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A MUST HAVE BOOK FOR FILM COLLECTORS
John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2010 11:15 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Collecting,by Gerald McKee is probably the only serious book on the history of film collecting. It came out in 1977 after 100s of reading,it still is fascinating. I mention this because there are a few copies of it at amazon.com.I just ordered a new copy!I bought my first one from Blackhawk.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

|  IP: Logged

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2010 03:39 AM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald wrote a number of other film collecting books which are also well worth looking out. Until his death he was the Editor of "Flickers" magazine the journal of the Vintage Film Circle. This is still published by noted British film collector Pat Moules, who runs the Bring and Buy stall at the BFCC's.I believe Pat may have new copies of some of Geralds books for sale.
Flickers also has a Facebook page!

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 10, 2010 01:06 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen Gerald's book and I wondered if in addition to obvious companies like Castle, it has anything on the history of Walton, Derann, etc? Considering how much happened after 1977, it would ber interesting to know if he considered producing another edition.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2010 02:21 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald McKee did write a second book, A HALF CENTURY OF FILM COLLECTING,self published in 1993,which continued in the same vein, leaning heavily on British and silent French films and 9.5 mm.Copies still do float around.
An earlier, but now forgotten book, is Kalton Lahue's COLLECTING CLASSIC FILMS (1970). Lahue was the eminent film historian whose many books include the seminal CLOWN PRINCES AND COURT JESTERS ( history of the silent comedy shorts) and CONTINUED NEXT WEEK (history of the silent serials).
All three books are worthy,(and as far as I know, the only ones on the subject) and ideally should be read in chronological order, as they reflect the state of their time.

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2010 08:14 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He did one on projectors also and I would love to find copies of both of them.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2010 12:56 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald McKee is one of my absolute heroes and I have all three of his books (the third is called The Home Cinema: Classic Home Movie Projectors 1922 - 1940 , from 1989, and reprinted in 1994)and many of the Flickers issues. I find his book slightly better than Kalton's simply because of my 9.5 and silent film fascinations. ALSO do not forget Kalton's earlier book on silent film serials called Bound and Gagged which in a way is equally as crucial to his other one Continued Next week, because bound and gagged is the one loaded with pictures, while Next Week has all the data like episode lists, etc...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 13, 2010 08:41 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LaHue was a historian, he pioneered the way so to speak, as silents were being appreciated more, thanks also to Blackhawk. Gerald spoke directly to the collector, he also was a true craftsman - It's a shame LaHue is out of the mainstream now, as he would be a great guest to a film show - Not sure if Gerald McKee is around. If so, wouldn't it be nice to have him as guest signing and talking about his knowledge for us - Shorty

Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2010 09:11 AM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe. I'm afraid Gerald died a few years ago.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 13, 2010 12:57 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not mistaken, Lahue went into writing auto-repair manuals.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC