8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Do you like monster movies ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you like monster movies ?
Andreas Borutta
Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2010 08:13 AM      Profile for Andreas Borutta   Email Andreas Borutta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I remember to my childhood,I love to remember to two things.
One was the super 8 boxes in the foto stores,the other thing was the youth screenings every sunday afternoon.During the time in the early seventies they made special screenings for young people,only.And what did they show? Most of the time japanese monster movies. So I grew up with this wonderful,craisy monstertrash, and I feel still a big love for Godzilla and co.
In the late eighties the cinemas stopped this youth screenings,and the old prints had been destroyed. Today nobody of the younger people connects Godzilla movies with a theatrical release,they know them only on Video or DVD.
But ,the older movie fans of you will agree with me,this movies are made for the big screen and not for TV. My question to the forum is, are there still monster movies lovers,who runs this old films in their original format 35mm for private screenings
together with their friends? Do you still have old monster and science fiction films in their original format 35mm?
Thanks good,I could saved a few prints from destroying.
Even so the old trailers are beautiful to watch.
Yesterday I heard a new rumors,that a new Godzilla film will be
produced for 2012. Long lives Godzilla.
Many greetings from Germany.
Andreas

|  IP: Logged

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2010 10:12 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes - I too am cursed with monster movie memories

Fox theater and double feature saturdays - they used to have someone on stage to entertain the kids while the next movie was being prepared - this is late 60's early 70's so there was actually a projectionist in the booth - and it showed.

Pretty much every Doug McClure picture, every Ray Harryhausen extravaganza and countless other sci-fi and adventure films were foisted on us and we ate them up ( along with lots of popcorn )

I have prints of Land That Time Forgot, People That Time Forgot, 20 Million Miles to Earth, Inframan, Beast of the Yellow Night, and several other titles on 35mm. Super 8 I have First Men In The Moon, Jason and the Argonauts, and many Hammer Horror films. I have other features on 16mm, including one godzilla film.

I have thrown a few BBQ parties and I setup a screen outside and the projector inside. When I ran "People That Time Forgot" it was very well received by everyone - including all the young kids in the audience.

Its funny how all these ' bad ' movies always seem to sell for so much money !

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 11, 2010 07:47 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monster and Sci-Fi have always been a part of my life. My favorite color is War Of The Worlds with Gene Barry and my favorite B&W is The Day The Earth Stood Still with Michael Renny. Both of which I have on 8mm. I love the box art on all the monster 8mm films as much as the film itself. They were all very well done. The Ray Harryhausen films are second to none. It's to easy today with CGI. As compared to stop action. Although todays Avatar is a real masterpiece by today's standard.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 11, 2010 08:24 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pasquale - doy you have the Ken 200' of 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' or do you actually have the full length feature? I think CHC may have only produced 10 prints of the latter, so it would be interesting to know if any members here have one?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 11, 2010 08:54 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian

I have the Ken Films 200' version. But I don't have the original box.

Pat

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2010 01:02 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I love Monster movies since I was a kid and still watch them all the time . I have 400 reels super 8 of all the classic ones 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' ,20 Million miles to earth,a3X400 of Kong, Jason and many of the Ray Harryhausen classics. Any body know if Forbidden Planet is in 200 or 400 reel.  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 12, 2010 10:39 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi - there wasn't a 200' or 400' of forbidden planet.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2010 09:28 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to the Universal Monster Classics, myself. I have just about all the Castle and U/8 200'ers & 400'ers in both 8mm and 16mm. All I'm missing really are the U/8 "Best Of Horror Parts 1 & 2". They don't show up often on Ebay and whenever they do it's usually with boxes that are in poor condition or non-existent. I'm patient, however. No worries. I have some of the 200'ers from KEN, but they don't compare. I have some KENs on my wish list like "Konga", "Destroy All Monsters" and "Day The Earth Stood Still" as well as some of the "Apes" titles I don't have yet in Color and Sound. Stay away from "Screaming Skull" - a total mess. I bought it long before I finally got a full length copy on VHS and I remember how difficult it was for me to comprehend what the heck was going on. Even friends I showed it to were confused.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2010 01:13 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish there was a 200' or 400' of forbidden planet.

Anyway maybe there is one out there that know one knows about?

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Andreas Borutta
Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2010 08:25 AM      Profile for Andreas Borutta   Email Andreas Borutta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Roy
Thank you for answering me. You realy have some nice phantastic movies on 35 mm and super 8. One of the Dough Mclure films I have too on 35mm .Itīs warlords of atlantis. and my print is really a late technicolor print.maybe one of the last ever made.
From twenty milion miles I have only the trailer on 35 mm,but therefore I have the 400 feet columbia sound digest. And I love it. My Harryhausen on 35mm is One milion years be
fore christ,with Raquel Welch. A beautiful Technicolor print.
And I am glad ,that I have some of the toho and hammer movies on 35mm. I really love this stuff.
Greetings
Andreas

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2010 11:21 AM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas you are indeed lucky to have those Toho films in 35mm.
I don't collect 35(only 16 and S8) but have been tempted to find a projector because there seems to be more available in 35mm.
I am a big Godzilla fan for many years and only have one reel of the original Godzilla in 16mm(reel 2 of the feature which has the most monster scenes!) but always looking.
I missed an excellent opportunity to own Ghidrah and Son of Godzilla from fellow member Dino Everett, but I was in bad shape financially at the time and had to pass. I still regret that missed opportunity! [Frown]
Another missed print was a scope, technicolor King Kong Escapes!
It was an ebay listing that was withdrawn and sold off privately...I hope the owner knows what a treasure he has(treasure to me anyway).

Andreas Borutta
Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2010 09:29 AM      Profile for Andreas Borutta   Email Andreas Borutta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Patrick
nice to hear from another Godzilla fan.A big godzilla and hammer
fan like me has a big responsibility to keep the old movies for further generations. Thats why I founded my filmclub to bring the beauty of old super 8mm and 35mm material to filminterested people.In my case I grew up with the old Toho films in cinema, and so I took every opportunity to buy this rare material during the last 20 years. Ten or twenty years ago that was still possible,but now the market is empty.But I have enough for one person.
Maybe you can tell me,what do you think about my latest idee.
I would like to start a firm to bring the old cinema of the sixties back to the cinema of today,but only at privat screenings
for a customer and his friends/kollegs.He has a choise of many movies of the old times plus a suitable trailershow depending on the taste of the customer. Together with two newsreels of my choice we have a wunderful old movie evening,witch nobody else can offer. The customer must only rent a cinema, the movies he takes from me. Up to now it is only an idea,but I try to offer it in whole germany.
Maybe you can tell me,whot you think about it.
Greetings from Germany and merry christmas
Andreas B.

Terry Furlough
Junior

- posted December 21, 2010 07:36 AM      Profile for Terry Furlough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Laksmi - there wasn't a 200' or 400' of forbidden planet."

"I wish there was a 200' or 400' of forbidden planet.
Anyway maybe there is one out there that know one knows about?"

Au Contraire!! I seem to recall there being one advertised in the back of Famous Monsters back in the mid/late 70's... I'll check and post what I find...

Terry Furlough
Junior

- posted January 09, 2011 03:22 AM      Profile for Terry Furlough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All right results of my Famous Monsters mag check.. there were 4 film sets of "Jason and the Argonauts" as well as "7Th Voyage of Sinbad".. claiming to be 200 ft and run 12 min each.. so they were old enough to run at the slower framerate..

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 11, 2011 04:32 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of those Famous Monsters ads:

-

Poor Bud Abbott....always getting his name spelled incorrectly.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2011 01:41 PM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention Nosferatu being used for the Caligari shot. Miss the old days of Creature Double Feature when I was kid on WLVI Channel 56 out of Boston with Dale Dorman.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2011 10:25 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The mis-spelling was probably due to a type character restraint.
I used to love "The Movie Loft" with Dana Hersey on WSBK TV-38. Whatever happened to him?

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 18, 2011 06:49 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly there was also a Nosferatu cut-down under the name TERROR OF DRACULA???

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 18, 2011 08:07 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Yes indeed! Terror of Dracula was a 2x200' abridged version of Nosferatu.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2011 10:07 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually won a print of Terror of Dracula on Ebay recently. I remember as a kid wondering what it was - it's actually a very good cut-down that tells the entire story. The print is a little dark in spots but overall very nice - it's in the original Entertainment Films boxes too, which is cool.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2011 12:34 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I just won a real find on eBay . I have been looking for this for years. INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN Super 8 Sound 200' reel. I love the part were he fights the spider and shrinks at the very end to smaller then a germ and then nothing. And still it says he is part of the universe which is so small itself. Wow what a great movie a real classic.  -

I will post pictures later on when I'm not so lazy.

--------------------

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2011 08:16 AM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi, you should try to get the 400' version if you haven't already. It's a really great edit that works well for the whole story. It doesn't have the flood scene though, which the 200' version has, I believe.

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2011 02:22 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Castle editions, and I love also the great artwork on the box.
Itīs not easy to find them as a sound edition with the box.
I have many of the SF/Horror Castle titles on 16mm but they are all without a box.
I prefer more a castle S8 sound edition than a 400 universal edition or a 16mm print of the SF/Horror titles. What do you think?
And how about standard 8 prints?
I have THE MUMMY as a standard 8 silent version with a mint box, and only the box was the reason to buy this. But I don`t have a projector to run this print. Is the picture quality good like a Super 8 print?

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2011 05:15 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey John I would love the 400 if I can find it. But It was a long time finding this 200. Anyway I'm happy I got it. Do they have an Invisible Boy print in Super8 anyone know?

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2011 10:44 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen a Castle box with "Super 8 Sound" as part of the artwork before. Where does it originate from?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC