8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » KETSTONE K-109

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: KETSTONE K-109
Steve Fincannon
Junior

- posted January 01, 2011 02:23 PM      Profile for Steve Fincannon   Email Steve Fincannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am brand new and learning about film and projectors. I have a Keystone K-109 projector and it works well. I have watched a few short Chaplin films and enjoy it very much. My first question is - How to care for my projector? I do have a reprint of the manual, but not much in there about lubrication. Also what are the small holes in red all over the projector? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy New Year, Steve

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2011 04:29 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great projector, I have the same model. The holes with red are where you lubricate it. I use sewing machine oil that is easy to get at a sewing machine store. a few drops in the holes every now and then. Keep the film path clean. I wipe it down with rubbing alcohol.

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2011 06:57 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the best Reg 8 machine ever made. I have 4 of them.Great lens!

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Steve Fincannon
Junior

- posted January 01, 2011 08:05 PM      Profile for Steve Fincannon   Email Steve Fincannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It nice to know that I purchased a good projector. I had been looking on ebay for one and really didn't know what to buy. Truth is I walked into The local Hospise resale store and it was on the shelf for $30.00. I guess you get lucky sometimes. Thanks to everyone for replies to my post.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2011 10:45 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had one since the early 70's. Love it! I don't think its' belt-driven, but chain-driven being that I can't determine how to get inside the thing to try to replace a belt if I ever had to. Mine came with a daylight viewer and a rheostat to vary the speed.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2011 12:33 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is at least one small belt that I have found so far. It is in the upper arm behind the gears. It looks like it would not be easy to change. I have some rubber flakes that have worn off of mine but it still works great.

-

There is not a belt on the lower arm, just gears. It is just two screws to take the plate off each arm but there are a lot of screws if you want to go beyond that.

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2011 08:16 AM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does take two belts. One is round and thick, and the other is small and thin. A few months ago I got from ebay, but it wasn't running up to speed. I was able to find the belts on ebay. If you aren't mechanically inclined, and I don't mean on basic stuff, I would recommend having someone put them in for you.

I know a guy who works with all kind of things, and fixes stereos and TVS. He is in the process of doing it for me rite now. He also fixed the sound on my 16mm Pageant, when everyone else thought it was gone for good. If yours in running well, I suggest finding Keystone Projector oil, which you mite find on ebay as well. It only needs a drop or two every so often. One of the best machines out there for sure!

Tom Chapman
Junior

- posted January 08, 2011 08:31 AM      Profile for Tom Chapman   Email Tom Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do all the k 109's come with a rheostat speed control?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC