8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Newb here

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newb here
Tom Chapman
Junior

- posted January 04, 2011 04:53 PM      Profile for Tom Chapman   Email Tom Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have found the right place. I have 2 large boxes of 8mm film that my grandfather took. He worked and retired from Eastman Kodak back in the 70's so yu can imagine how much film I have. My wife went and found an old brownie so I could view the films and now after doing that I want to save these and transfer to my computer.

I realize I need a projector with a variable speed (rheostat) and have been looking on ebay however the descriptions and pictures don't give me enough information and I have seen a lot of junk out there. I am by no means experienced in doing this but, i believe with the right equipment I think I can do a good job for the family.

Can any of you suggest a few models to watch for that will suit my needs? It will help me to narrow down what I am looking for. I will also check the sale section here. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Tom Chapman

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2011 05:13 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom and welcome! You viewed the films on a KODAK BROWNIE, so I assume they are regular 8mm and silent, not super 8, right? That will narrow down the type of projector you'll need. Although I personally haven't had the pleasure of owning one; many members recommend the EUMIG dual gauge 8mm projectors for transfer work. Good luck! [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Tom Chapman
Junior

- posted January 04, 2011 05:20 PM      Profile for Tom Chapman   Email Tom Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Joe they are standard 8mm silent. I should have mentioned that. I actually recorded a little bit with the Brownie just to see the flicker difference in the digital recording and it would be intolerable to watch it. The bulb went out on it a little later so instead of buying a bulb for the Brownie, I am now looking to purchase a projector to get a good transfer. I also have reels that are too big to put on that projector so I have not viewed them yet.

Tom Chapman
Junior

- posted January 05, 2011 09:01 PM      Profile for Tom Chapman   Email Tom Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may have found what I need to do the job.

http://shop.ebay.com/retro-video-sales/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2011 09:09 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest finding a Keystone K 109 projector. Of all the Std 8 machines I've ever had,none compares to it.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2011 11:13 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the K-109. I've had it since the early 70s and I just love it. It has a daylight viewer on the front and a variable speed adjustment. I don't think it uses a belt, but rather a chain because I don't see any way to take it apart to replace a belt. It also uses a sprocket drive and not the crummy (push)system that most dual-8 projectors like the GAFs used (which always ate my precious goodies). O'h how I hated my GAF dual unit. I was so happy when I sold it several years back.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2011 11:36 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a K-109 but have not tried to telecine anything with it. Does it run steady enough? Is it hard to get it adjusted to the correct speed?

Tom Chapman
Junior

- posted January 06, 2011 07:17 PM      Profile for Tom Chapman   Email Tom Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be interested to know how a transfer came out using a Keystone K 109 before I find one and pull the trigger.

I also need to find out how to properly care and store this film after the transfer just in case something happens and I need to record again.

Tom Chapman
Junior

- posted January 09, 2011 03:25 PM      Profile for Tom Chapman   Email Tom Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://cgi.ebay.com/Keystone-Model-K109-8MM-Movie-Projector-Vintage-/300511040701?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f7da94bd

Would this be satisfactory for silent 8mm transfer?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC